Can no longer boot with mm or love-sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Can no longer boot with mm or love-sources Reply with quote

I've got no idea why...

but mm-sources and love-sources no long boot for me. I can boot development-sources though.

With love/mm I select it from grub then the monitor just goes to standby imediately while it resets and grub comes back up again.

Anyone have a clue what happened to my computer? I just ditrched udev and went back to devfs if that helps. Maybe I need to recompile something?
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With love/mm I select it from grub then the monitor just goes to standby imediately while it resets and grub comes back up again.

check that your architecture gets supported in kernel config. the syntax changed recently, it's now make menuconfig -> Proc. type & features -> Processor support.

Also notice the "After hitting enter at the grub menu the system reboots" section in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122656
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's all set right.

Some of these kernels that have refused to boot are ones I had been using before.

I suspect it is /dev related somehow. I was using udev016 then I decided to ditch it and go back to devfs. After that any love/mm kernel wouldn't boot.

I tried backing devfs out of the kernel and re-emerging udev but it still wouldn't work.

Now I am stuck using a vanilla 2.6.2 until I can figure out what it going on.
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

Now I just tried to play am mp3 and xmms sagfaults. Recompiling doesn't make it work.

Something is really screwed up here.

I may just resort to a reinstall.
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can no longer boot with mm or love-sources Reply with quote

pixie wrote:
I've got no idea why...

but mm-sources and love-sources no long boot for me. I can boot development-sources though.

Anyone have a clue what happened to my computer? I just ditrched udev and went back to devfs if that helps. Maybe I need to recompile something?

Pixie, did you compile your kernels using genkernel? I had a very similar sounding problem when I was setting up my sony laptop using the latest experimental stages. I discovered that if I included initrd in grub then it would continually reboot/loop. The genkernel in question was 3.0.1_beta9.
Now I don't know if there is a problem with genkernel, but that's the feeling I'm getting in me water...
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I always do them manually.

I took a kernel that wouldn't boot and copied it to the partition I am using for testing out how a system compiled mostly with ICC/IFC and it worked fine.

I tried a few mm-sources and love-sources versions. None worked. xmms was also refusing to work at all and I was getting other weird problems.

I gave up trying to fix it. Just reinstalling now. No big problem. I have my iMac to use while it is compiling everything. I think I'll just leave the stupid experimental things out of my main install from now.
ejohnson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like somethings were broken.
I always use devfs in my kernels and havn't had problems.

Were you using gcc-3.4 with agressive CFLAGS?
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC3.4 yes. But the CFLAGS were just -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer.

All had been working well for weeks until the udev-devfs switch.
pixie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gets weirder....

new install. same thing is happening. yet my other gentoo install on the computer is working fine.

i fear for my hard disk now. maybe I've fried a bit of it somehow.

unless there is something in the current ~x86 packages borking my system. the ICC/IFC testig install I have is all 'stable'.

gah. this is getting annoying.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: