View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bru! Well have changed to a UK mirror and have deleted all of the distfiles stuff. Am currently running emerge sync so that will finish at some point. Once done then 'scripts/bootstrap.sh' and then onto the next drama!

I am assuming that when you mentioned 'cache' you were referring to /usr/portage/distfiles as this is where I have been doing the chopping. If not, then pls specify path.

Regards to Mrs Chu and spk to you later. J
brownie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_chu wrote:
Hi Brownie

I've heard from other forums saying that there are bugs in Gentoo kernel 2.4.22-r5. Try using r4 or 2.4.23 instead.

Alright, if all I have are live cds, how do I do this?? I don't have a burner or any way to get different versions.

brownie
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you there Brownie! But also, I have changed the mirror to www.mirror.ac.uk which is a very good one. The system downloads files that it did not do before, but I am still getting stuck with gettext. I have specified this new mirror in make.conf but I am not sure where the system is pulling down this copy from.

I have cleared out gettext in sys-devel, but no change. How do I make sure that 'emerge sync' also pulls down it's files from mirror.ac.uk?
brownie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I take it that nobody here knows the answer to this, or the setp 4 boot time mounting problem either. Since its the only way the install docs list to get a Gentoo linux system, did I just lose $18.50 for some cds and software that doesn't work??
Granted I am a extreme noob, is there someplace I can get help for this??

brownie
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did feel this way, but I have made some progress Brownie. I have started out with my Stage 2 this time as I think there is far too much corruption of files to start a Stage 1.

I am currently emerging system. Sometimes files will fail, but I then emerge them separately and then continue emerge system. I've had to completely trash my system, partitions etc and start from stratch.

It's working so far. Where are you stuck on?
brownie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, this is entirely completely frustrating.

If you want to try and work through this together send me an email. I would feel bad using the forums for a conversation of us working together. If you don't like that then well post here again and we will see if we can get through this. Unfortunately I am a full time student with a full time job so I don't have a lot of time to play with the builds. But I will get to that later on tonight hopefully.

I have used the stage3 install every time I have attempted this. I think I am going to try using the grub boot loader on the next build I attempt to see if the problem is the same there.

brownie
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no probs working out these issues with you Brownie to see if we could come to some sort or resolution. But perhaps it would be better if we used this forum, that way others could learn from our achievements. Make sure that you are "watching this thread" so that you are notified when I and others post.

Send me a msg and I'll reply back with my email addr. I have been steadily emerging the system and now I have got this "emerge shadow" conpile error which I have just posted in the Portage forum about. What stage are you at now?
brownie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't moved much from where I stated I was before. I have given it some thought and I am starting to wonder if perhaps it is a few of the mirrors that have problem lilo downloads. I made it past this stage in the install before (only once though, and only to get to the unable to mount boot error). I was wondering if there is a list of mirrors or if anyone on this board has completed an install recently using lilo without any problems.

Also, even though I have emerged lilo, can I pick up the installation at the same spot and emerge grub?? Would that overwrite lilo or do I have to start from square one?? Also, can I emerge lilo multipule times as I am trying to build this without hurting anything??

I don't know anything about an emerge shadow error or where that problem would even be generated. What are you doing when that is thrown??

-brownie
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, apologies for replying back to you so late in the evening; I know what it is like when you are left stranded waiting for assistance. A very nice gentlemen gave me his own personal way of building Gentoo and it is working thus far, although I have got a few bits of my own to add.

http://www.maxgfx.com/htdocs/gentoo_setup.htm

With regards to your mirror problem, I have always used www.mirror.ac.uk for any application regarding Linux/UNIX that I have ever needed. It's quick and always updated with the latest stuff so try it and add to your make.conf file. I had terrible probs with Lilo which I have not had before. I think you should try Grub, but look at the instructions in the URL above; the Gruvb stuff is somewhere down the page, but read the whole doc, it could assist with other issues you may have had. Also, have you been getting segmentation/waiting for job errors whilst compiling?

If so, boot down your box and remove the memory DIMMS and reinsert them. When you boot back up, go into the BIOS and stand down the CPU clock. In my own instance, I was previously running a 1.3GHZ Athlon which is now a 1.10GHZ Athlon. There is something to do with the CHIP running at its highest setting which can give rise to these errors. It has been some 3 hrs since I 'emerge system' and the box is still going.

Let me know how you get on.
brownie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well using grub worked. I appreciate the link I am going to have to check it out more. I have been using genkernel to compile my kernel and I haven't had any errors with that at all. I haven't had a problem having to clock down my cpu. I am going to have to look for a thread that discusses kde vs. gnome. Any insight would be appreciated. No need to worry about getting back to me, without being able to work on my box theres a chance I will get my homework done.

(darn you prolog!)

-brownie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: