View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: slow kde on 2.6.2 :( Reply with quote

I just started a new gentoo system from scratch using 2.6.2 last night. Everything was going fine up until I emerged KDE (v3.1). Now it takes me 20 seconds to launch konqueror on my system, which previously was instant! Mozilla even longer. I'm using an nvidia nforce2 mb with geforce 4 graphics card but after finally getting the 5.3x driver finally installed and configured correctly in X86Config realised that wasn't the problem.

Also windowmaker seems to take ages to run mozilla, although it runs konqueror instantly.

Anyway anyone got any ideas what this might be? Maybe I compiled it all with too harsher cflags or with bad use flags I dunno.. heres the flags I used below

Code:

USE="alsa 3dnow cdr dvd emacs -gnome qt jpeg kde mbox mmx mozilla mysql \
opengl pdflib png samba sse tiff truetype usb X xmms x86 cups foomaticdb ppds and usb"

CFLAGS="-O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64 \
-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -msse -m3dnow -mmmx -mfpmath=sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4 -mno-push-args -maccumulate-outgoing-args -minline-all-stringops -pipe"

thanks

Toby
[/code]
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propably you either messed up your /etc/hosts file, or hdparm hasn't done its job/kernel-ide is misconfigured.

As for your cflags... -mfpmath=sse sucks, and -mcpu screws up things even if -march is there. I won't comment on the rest of your flags except sometimes less is more.
Kitohe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a fresh system yesterday (KDE 3.2) and was having many of the same problems where apps were taking crazy long to load and gtkrellm was not reporting HD or CPU activity after I would click on an icon. My problems were actually solved with a re-boot. I still don't think I should have had to do that, but maybe some config files just need to be reloaded or something.
nazul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdparm says dma is on for hda - my hard drive. And prints out the following test results

Code:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  152 MB in  3.02 seconds =  50.39 MB/sec
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1624 MB in  2.00 seconds = 811.72 MB/sec

My /etc/hosts file only contains one parsable line which is the localhost 127.0.0.1 line.

As for the CFLAGS I admit they're a bit much and can't remember what each of them means as I got htem a while back. It was from a post on this forum about cflags about 6 months ago I think.

Maybe I'll just go looking for CFLAGS that people confirm work for 2.6.2 with nvidia and use them but I dont want to recompile everything just yet :?
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
20. Modifying /etc/hosts

This file contains a list of IP addresses and their associated hostnames. It is used by the system to resolve the IP addresses of any hostnames that may not be in your nameservers. Here is a template for this file:

Code listing 20.1: Hosts Template

Code:
127.0.0.1      localhost
# the next line contains your IP for your local LAN and your associated machine name
192.168.1.1    mymachine.mydomain.com   mymachine

Note: If you are on a DHCP network, it might be helpful to add your machine's actual hostname after localhost. This will help GNOME and many other programs in name resolution.

My host-line looks like this:
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost       sindre
saleck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fighting similar problem. With 2.6.1-rc1 everything is ok but with 2.6.2 KDE is terribly slow. But there is more ...
I have now configured the 2.6.2 kernel from scratch (not loaded previous config) and suddenly kde runs ok. But my ATI Radeon 7500 has suddenly OpenGL turned off. I have not found the difference between the two kernel config files yet.;( Perhaps I could publish them somewhere ...
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saleck wrote:
I am fighting similar problem. With 2.6.1-rc1 everything is ok but with 2.6.2 KDE is terribly slow. But there is more ...
I have now configured the 2.6.2 kernel from scratch (not loaded previous config) and suddenly kde runs ok. But my ATI Radeon 7500 has suddenly OpenGL turned off. I have not found the difference between the two kernel config files yet.;( Perhaps I could publish them somewhere ...

run diff on the files and post the results here, I'd be quite interested since I've got problems with some bits of kde being slow... mostly the logout box takes ages to come up.

One thing that helped was reducing the amount of fonts installed, I had about 1 or 2 thousand fonts in my ~/.fonts directory which made kde very slow
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed 2.6.2. being slow ... I didn't think about it and returned to 2.6.1 ;)

Regards, Berkz
jschellhaass
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this related to artsd using 90%+ of the cpu resources? What does top show?

Jeff
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes artsd uses much cpu cycles (93% here). I entered the KDE Sound configuration control module and set ALSA instead of AUTODETECT. As soon as I clicked "Apply", things were back smooth.

I didn't restart KDE since then so maybe the problem isn't fixed at all...

sigh
nazul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into artsd.. when I try to run the arts control panel everything seems to mega slow so it seems to be on the right lines...
nazul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have an artsd option in control center :|. However when I change the tab to no sound it makes so difference so I don't think thats it.
To elaborate on the problem when I try to launch any gui app it takes it about 20 seconds to load, even if its just Konsole! If I can't solve this problem by tommorrow I'm just gonna recompile everything with a new set of cflags :|
ZennouRyuu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm I dont know if this will help but I decided to post it anyway......... I noticed that when using the KasBar as my taskbar my KDE performance dropped significantly and only got worse over time (Almost like a memory leak but top didnt seem to think so) the only thing I noticed was that when a new task is opened, and thus added to the KasBar as an icon my CPU usage would spike to about 95% for the process that was the kpanel (which included the KasBar) also when I tried to hide or unhide the KasBar a similar CPU spike was noticed. I simply disabled KasBar in favor of a standard taskbar and my KDE perfomance jumped exponentially.

I hope this helps you, the is nothing more frustrating than waiting 20 seconds for Konqueror

--ZennouRyuu
Angry Geek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed with Gnome 2.4.2 and Kernel 2.6.2 that the whole desktop just feels less responsive thatn what It does with 2.6.1. So I don't think it is just KDE.
rafailow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, i've got the same problem but i don't know why, firefox, mozilla, thunderbird take a while to start... about 10-15 sec. and now on my fluxbox, it takes about 5-6 sec to lauch, before the problem 0.5sec ;).

Code:

Portage 2.0.50-r1 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.2, glibc-2.3.3_pre20040207-r0, 2.6.3-rc2-gentoo)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.3-rc2-gentoo i686 AMD Athlon(tm) processor
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.13
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=athlon-tbird -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=athlon-tbird -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X aalib acl acpi alsa apache2 apm arts avi berkdb bidi bonobo cdr crypt cscope cups curl dga directfb doc dvb dvd emacs emecs-w3 encode ethereal evo fbcon firebird flac flash foomaticdb gb gd gdbm gif gnome gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile imagemagick imap imlib innodb java jikes jpeg kde lcms ldap libg++ libgkk libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg mule mysql ncurses nls nocardbus oci8 odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl plotutils png postgres ppds prelude python qt readline ruby samba saslsnmp sdl slang spell sqlite ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype unicode usb videos x86 xinerama xml xml2 xmms xosd xv zlib"

And i don't know why, i can't localise the problem... if someone can help...
Eamon Nerbonne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Slow startup times (konq etc) Reply with quote

I think people are discussing several different problems here.
The application startup time being like 15-20 seconds is related to some glibc issue (for some reason it likes to resolve the name of the local machine...).

So make sure that your /etc/hosts contains a line:

127.0.0.1 localhost scent

where "scent" should be whatever your hostname is (in /etc/hostname). Furthermore, glibc must then actually _use_ the hosts file to resolve the name (which is the default) but to be sure... check your /etc/nsswitch.conf, it needs to have a line

hosts: files dns

OK that should fix your slow application startup.

The second problem with arts consuming 100% CPU... well I'm not positive, but this may have to do with the backend arts uses.
Did you compile your 2.6.X kernel with alsa? Setting arts to use alsa might just be simplest. (if you need a custom sound card device then alsa doesn't use "/dev/dsp3" but "hw:3,0" or such a format). Otherwise one of threaded-OSS or normal OSS causes the problem, try them both and set it to the one that doesn't :-).
Paulten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.2 superfast here.

I agree with Eamon Nerbonne. However
I have experienced the same problem. Still haven't figured out why.
When using test-11 I remember I couldn't play a mp3 without sound skipping, and startup felt slower too.

I use 2.6.2 on both my computers, both with con kolivas patches which in 2.4 gave me a very nice responsive desktop.

If anyone with a "slow" kernel config would like to diff against me, here is my config.
http://paul.tenfjord.net/.config

This is for my dell inspiron 8200 laptop.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a problem with artsd taking all your CPU and as a result KDE is slow, do the folloiwng:

1. Start Kcontrol and select Sound System under Sound & Multimedia

2. Click on the hardware tab

3. If the Audio Device is "Autodetect', select 'Advanced Linux Sound Architecture' .

Save and log-out/log-in again and you'll see that the CPU usage has dropped down to normal again.

Erik
matkare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Eamon Nerbonne

thx, for your input I'am running a 2.6.4-rc1 and after making your suggested changes my kde3.2 performance changed remarkably. :!:
WSU
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing ALSA as an option. Just Threaded OSS, No Audio, and OSS.

2.6.3-gentoo-r1
KDE: 3.2.0

Sound card is nForce 2 chipset. Using drivers compiled in kernel.
matkare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WSU: What USE-Flags did you use to compile KDE. I'am not sure but I think you have to compile KDE with alsa in order to have this option.
Code:

# > USE="alsa" emerge kde

And that's clear your System must run with alsa. That means you need the service alsasound running. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml how to configure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: