Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ALSA completely borked. No Sound at all.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: ALSA completely borked. No Sound at all. Reply with quote

Using: Kernel 2.6.2-genoo (gentoo dev sources) with ALSA compiled as modules.
alsa-lib/utils 1.0.2
KDE3.2 (Arts 1.2.0)

Basically, my sound worked fine before I installed KDE 3.2. No problems. After I started KDe 3.2, I couldnt get any sound to work. Through fiddling with the arts timeout settings, and testing sound, I was able to get arts to play (in a crackly and distorted fashion) the test sound. Now all hell breaks loose. Nothing else works.

After rebooting, I found out that nothing would play from the command line, at all (not booted into X at this point, so arts shouldnt be getting a look in). That is, everything lays, but no sound comes out of the speakers. At all.

I've unmuted everything I can find on the alsamixer and every mixer I can reach. Still nothing. The lights are on, but nobodys home.

I've even recompiled all the relevant alsa modules and such. Still nothing. All the right modules are loaded, and the system thinks sound is playing through... but nothing speaks. All dead.

Is there a mixer setting somewhere I havent heard of, or am I looking at terminal interference from KDe 3.2, or is this a dead sound card? (Last can be tested, thank the gods for onboard sound chips)
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you by chance using the emu10k1 alsa driver? make sure you mute the digital output in the alsamixer. I think kde/arts messes with it by default.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: