Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
grub setup locking up (ata raid problem?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abzstrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: grub setup locking up (ata raid problem?) Reply with quote

alright, I'm installing 1.4 and I've emerged grub. when I get into it it takes the root (hd0,0), but when I type setup (hd0) it locks up. Ctrl-C breaks out of grub.

I'm using the 1.4 live cd and booting with "smp doataraid" since the ataraid and promise drivers don't seem to work right with the default kernel.

I have a thermally controlled fan that goes crazy fast when it locks in grub too, usually only spins up that fast when the cpu is being benchmarked.

I have an A7N8X Deluxe (Nforce 2)
Fasttrack 100 IDE RAID

anyone have any ideas?

TIA
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and most important question is: do you plan to install a 2.6 kernel or a 2.4 kernel? Because if you're using the built-in RAID controller with 2.6 it won't work, as several threads in the forum will show you.
Abzstrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2.4.22, and the built in raid controller is SATA and not a promise. This is a addon pci card.

I can't figure out why its happening either, I've had grub installed on it many times before, starting to think its something screwy with this 1.4 release, the betas worked fine.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abzstrak wrote:
I'm using 2.4.22, and the built in raid controller is SATA and not a promise. This is a addon pci card.

I can't figure out why its happening either, I've had grub installed on it many times before, starting to think its something screwy with this 1.4 release, the betas worked fine.
How do you mean: not a promise? Fasttrack 100 really suggest that!

Anyway, so it's not a built-in controller on the MoBo, but a real hardware RAID solution. Well this means, if I understand it well, that all details are handled and concealed by the RAID-card, so that it presents itself to any O/S like a single drive, right?
Abzstrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, you just got to modprobe the proper drivers. I've completed the install except for grub. maybe its some bug in a newer version of grub.... I dunno... I'm at a loss
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abzstrak wrote:
correct, you just got to modprobe the proper drivers. I've completed the install except for grub. maybe its some bug in a newer version of grub.... I dunno... I'm at a loss
which version of grub are you installing? are you adressing the RAID array as an IDE drive (/dev/hda)?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: grub setup locking up (ata raid problem?) Reply with quote

Abzstrak wrote:
alright, I'm installing 1.4 and I've emerged grub. when I get into it it takes the root (hd0,0), but when I type setup (hd0) it locks up. Ctrl-C breaks out of grub.

Boot from a GRUB floppy, then do
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> reboot

Trying to do this from inside the chroot usually doesn't work because GRUB gets all confused with the device names.
Abzstrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: grub setup locking up (ata raid problem?) Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Abzstrak wrote:

Boot from a GRUB floppy, then do
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> reboot

Trying to do this from inside the chroot usually doesn't work because GRUB gets all confused with the device names.

Thanx man, worked like a charm. I had tried it before just booted off of the live cd, not chrooted but ended up with the same result (lockup).... guess I should tried the boot disk ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: