questions about GRP install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geekX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: questions about GRP install Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I checked the documentation on the site and searched through the forums and I can't find this asked or answered:

I'm starting a new job next monday and I'd like to install gentoo on my work pc there. Problem is, I don't want to spend too much time compiling on day one, so I was thinking of starting off with a GRP live-cd.

Now - if I install gentoo using the grp packages on the live-cd (just X, gnome 2.4, vim, evolution, etc.), can I just emerge sync later and do an emerge -Up world later without issues? (probably after hours or over the weekend)

I was thinking I'll just download and write the i686 live-cd and install from that. And I could just take my harddrive with me and cp all my distfiles so that I can just recompile everything later in stead of spend time downloading the source.

So, my questions are:
1) is it as easy as emerge sync, emerge -U world to convert from GRP to a custom compiled install?

2) where can I find a list of packages included in the live cds? If it lacks too many packages that I consider bare minimum (I'm gonna need gnome 2.4, apache, php and mysql), I'd rather just tar my entire harddrive, untar it onto the new one and recompile a kernel. (assuming it is also an athlon-xp.) Otherwise, if it is a pentium-4, I'll have to try and take the machine home the weekend before I start working and try out dist-cc.

3) are there any known pitfalls regarding GRP installs I should know of?

If these questions are already answered somewhere else, then please just link me to the FAQ entry, forum thread or install doc chapter.
Birnenpfluecker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only help you with point 1. But a simple emerge sync and emerge -U world will only update packages, but packages which have no update will stay as they are. Do a emerge -e world to rebuild your system. But take your time for that, can last about some days.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: