Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SETI: Gentoo Linux Users Everywhere (GLUE)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syouth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added 2857 units (and counting) to GLUE placing me on 92nd place.. [4th estonian in GLUE]

_________

Sorry for that. I was already in group with my closest friends and since seti doesn't let you be in parrallel groups, I left... Sad..
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: joined Reply with quote

Hi-

Just added 8500 to the group. But didn't see the increase in

http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_type_0.html

Hopefully it will update later on.

Cheers,
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: lin-seti Reply with quote

Hi-

I got lin-seti up and running as a daemon. How do you get it to run on a multiple cpu system?
Currently there is only 1 process running, I'd like to run 2.

Cheers,
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added me too to the GLUE

i'm the [equilibrium] user, and i have just switched yesterday to Boinc client.

all my contents are released under the Creative Commons Licence by-nc-nd 2.5
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to lin-seti's originator, it cannot currently handle more than the one cpu; I asked for the same reason you did. He suggested I start a second instance of lin-seti by changing the pid, however, in many things linux I am still a newb. So I have lin-seti running in parallel with a standard seti install; it works OK for now.:)
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Multiple CPU Lin Seti Reply with quote

get sirius wrote:
According to lin-seti's originator, it cannot currently handle more than the one cpu; I asked for the same reason you did. He suggested I start a second instance of lin-seti by changing the pid, however, in many things linux I am still a newb. So I have lin-seti running in parallel with a standard seti install; it works OK for now.:)

That will work, Thanks.

Cheers,
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely a FYI to people who have subscribed to this thread: SETI has discontinued downloads of SETIclassic. So if you have just one machine, decided to reinstall everything, then pick up where you left off with SETI, you can't. Unless you have a friend running Gentoo and SETI, who can copy his /usr/portage/distfiles/setiathome-* to a floppy or other portable media (or even just email it to you). If you are running more than one machine with SETI and Gentoo, then you don't have to request a favor from another; you can do it yourself :D

I've made myself a floppy with it so I can keep running SETIclassic for as long as they are supplying work units.:D
csab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is so important to run the old client? I mean this is mainly for science, not competition, right? I suppose the new client is better in some senses, otherwise they wouldn't change it. Anyway, they run the project, I just offer the free time of my computer, because I can't do anything more useful with it. (I used to run a cancer research project on Windoze a long time ago, but it doesn't seem to exist any more.)

BTW, I just looked up this thread to tell you that I also proudly joined the GLUE group (new client). It's a good thing that we can make a statement in this way that Gentoo is around, working, and working well.
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that it is so important to run the old client (SETIclassic) but that, depending on one's architecture, it is the only client to run. For amd64, boinc does not yet work - at least not through an ebuild.
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm interested in joining this, what do I have to do? Sorry I don't have time to read through 3 years of posts.
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX @ 630mhz
csab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get sirius wrote:
It's not that it is so important to run the old client (SETIclassic) but that, depending on one's architecture, it is the only client to run. For amd64, boinc does not yet work - at least not through an ebuild.

The boinc 4.32 client is in portage for amd64, ppc and x86:

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=boinc

You have to unmask it, just like with x86. Maybe the seti client itself is not ported to amd64 yet (I have no idea about that).
csab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Hey I'm interested in joining this, what do I have to do? Sorry I don't have time to read through 3 years of posts.

You'l need to create an account at setiathome.berkeley.edu. You'll get a user number (or something like that) and the homepage address of the project that you'll need when you first start the client. You may want to set up your preferences, although the defaults will work pretty well.

Then you unmask the "sci-misc/boinc" ebuild, add the ~x86 keyword (if you use x86 architecture), emerge boinc and then start the boinc deamon. First it will ask you about your ID and project homepage that you received in the previous step. Then it downloads the project specific software componenet to your platform and starts it. Read the logs to learn what it does.

Add the boinc startup script to your default runlevel if you want to run it automatically. Turn off the screensaver (or set it to blank screen) otherwise it will take percious CPU time from your SETI client.

If the steps above are not 100% accurate, read the boinc manual. (I set it up some time ago, so may not remember each step correctly.)

Check your CPU usage to see that the SETI client indeed works. In a couple of days (or maybe weeks, if you use your computer less frequently), check back to setiathome.berkeley.edu and look up your statistics to find out if they really receive data from you.

JOIN THE "Gentoo Linux Users Everywhere" group!

Note that although the client is niced down by default, it uses some RAM, so if you are short on memory (like me), you may want to stop the BOINC deamon manually before you use memory consuming applications.
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do have 768 megs of ram, is that enough? I am upgrading that to two gigs when I get the cash. Also what do you get with the credits that are on that website? Is it just satisfaction?
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
csab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Well I do have 768 megs of ram, is that enough? I am upgrading that to two gigs when I get the cash. Also what do you get with the credits that are on that website? Is it just satisfaction?

Your RAM is more than enough. :) My client uses 15 megs right now. I only have 256, so sometimes that 15 matters. The credits are only satisfaction, or competition, or whatever you consider it. The point is that you DONATE your free CPU time, so you don't get anything in exchange.
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least it'll be going towards a good cause.
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csab wrote:
get sirius wrote:

The boinc 4.32 client is in portage for amd64, ppc and x86:

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=boinc

You have to unmask it, just like with x86. Maybe the seti client itself is not ported to amd64 yet (I have no idea about that).

That's just it; I did unmask it and it bombed. It's not still masked for grins and giggles, it flat doesn't work on amd64. Tried it on my opteron duallie and on my uniprocessor 3700+ - no go for either.:cry:
IamtheOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: boinc ebuild Reply with quote

Please try the ebuild at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91930 and post your ruslts there.

The boinc client is compiling on my amd64 machine, however the setiathome ebuild is still in the works sadly. What would be a really good idea is to get berkerly to get a compiled amd64 seti client to give to amd64 linux machines...
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot get boinc to compile.
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Iamtheone, did boinc finish compiling and make successfully?
phoric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined up, I'm currently at #27, yay! :D
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoric

Would that be on seticlassic GLUE or on setiboinc GLUE?
phoric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get sirius wrote:
Would that be on seticlassic GLUE or on setiboinc GLUE?

I'm using the BOINC client on a mix of gentoo and windows machines.
IamtheOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get sirius wrote:
Well, Iamtheone, did boinc finish compiling and make successfully?

What exactly are you asking? In my previous post I was simply stating that BERKELEY should treat x86 and x86_64 the same. Right now if you just emerge boinc on an x86 system and attach to seti it will download an x86 client and you're off to the races.

If you are using an x86_64 platform (or sparc, mips, etc), you have to either search the internet for an already compiled seti@home binary and figure out how to install it, or use the recently commited seti@home ebuild (masked) which is likely to be slower than you would hope due to some fumbles by the people over at Berkeley. If you wish to get this changed, don't complain here, take that over to the seti@home website ;)

So goodluck to all, and if you must know my Athlon64 has been running a 64 bit client for ages, but I cheated and created the ebuilds that have now made their way into portage for you all to use :P

Everyone who isn't using boinc Create a new boinc seti@home account or Join the team so we can move up from the 72nd spot.
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamtheone:

"You said, "The boinc client is compiling on my amd64 machine,...." I merely asked if the compile had finished to your satisfaction. That's all, nothing more. Unless you're the only Gentoo user who's never had an emerge fail, you should have understood that I was pointedly curious about the outcome of your "emerge boinc", and not "getting at" anything else!
IamtheOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I answered that question and more in the above post. I also pointed out the main problems running boinc on an x86_64 machine, which is no official setiathome client, so you have to get one yourself...

Yes, boinc compiles on my athlon64 to my satisfaction. If it fails for you I am interested in finding out why, so please share :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: