View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: EMERGE KDE STLL FAILS - WHY IS THIS NOT FIXED Reply with quote

I want to install kde - it fails because of the xine-lib-... dependency
I am trying to do this on a freshly installed version of Gentoo LInux
with 2.4 genkernel (stage3 tarball) ... Ok ? nothing extreme there.

This has been now going on for at least 4 days but I believe the problem has been around for some time.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ????
WHY IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO EMERGE THE MOST DESKTOP ENV. LINUX CALLS ITS OWN ? Where are the developers/ebuilders/ .. to take care of this ? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it works fine for the rest of us. Maybe if you explained your problem a little more, and in a more cheerful fashion, you could get some help.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should try searching for a solution to your problem instead of just spouting off. It apears that most people have been able to work around that problem.

And it probably won't get fixed if noone files a bug on it. I didn't see one there when i searched.
MaGuS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: EMERGE KDE STLL FAILS - WHY IS THIS NOT FIXED Reply with quote

mathey wrote:
I want to install kde - it fails because of the xine-lib-... dependency
I am trying to do this on a freshly installed version of Gentoo LInux
with 2.4 genkernel (stage3 tarball) ... Ok ? nothing extreme there.

This has been now going on for at least 4 days but I believe the problem has been around for some time.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ????
WHY IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO EMERGE THE MOST DESKTOP ENV. LINUX CALLS ITS OWN ? Where are the developers/ebuilders/ .. to take care of this ? :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Did you paid anything for gentoo/linux or do you pay any developer? So stop talking such $&§& and start to fix the problem your self!

Best regards,
Magnus

p.s.: use the search function!
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've not seen one of these UPPERCASE :twisted: threads in a while ..... ho hum :?
mathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHEERFUL ?????

I am afraid, not. :?

At any rate, I thought my post was reasonably self-explanatory. I emerged X and then tried to emerge kde. It fails at some pont with an error message refering to xine-lib-1_rc2. If you do a search in this forum, you will of course find that may people either have had or are having trouble emerging xine-lib or kde ( which has xine-lib as a dependency). So this problem is not new. The only "solution" that I found being offered was to lower your CFLAGS. I don't want to. What's the point of using Gentoo Linux if you are not allowed to use slightly aggressive CFLAGS ; mine are :
Quote:
CFLAGS=" -O2 -march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -pipe-funroll-loops -fomi-frame-pointer -msse -msse2 -mmmx -mfpmath=sse -fPIC

I found these somewhere on this forum.
Of course I don't have any clue what they mean but what the heck !

Seriously I believe I found them in a thread on pentium4 optimization and the ones above seemed like a good choice.
Or am I wrong ?

I read somewhere that -fomit-frame-pointer or -fPIC might be the problem, but, again, I wouldn't want to lower my flags unless absolutely necessary. I can't believe that there is not some way around this.

So, any ideas ?
Please !!
:) :) :) :) ( see how cheerful I am)
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REFUSE TO ANSWER BOTH AN UNFRIENDLY MESSAGE AND A GUY WHO DOESN'T SEARCH THE FORUMS

Edit: Just saw the post above mine.

Anyway, this problem is not caused by the Gentoo developers, but by the Xine developers. You only have to lower your CFLAGS while compiling it, then you can go back to your old ones.

Last edited by Stu L Tissimus on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes lowering CFLAGS is the only way to get some things to compile
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathey wrote:
The only "solution" that I found being offered was to lower your CFLAGS. I don't want to. What's the point of using Gentoo Linux if you are not allowed to use slightly aggressive CFLAGS ; mine are :
Quote:
CFLAGS=" -O2 -march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -pipe-funroll-loops -fomi-frame-pointer -msse -msse2 -mmmx -mfpmath=sse -fPIC

You don't get the choice. You're trying to overly optimize the compiler and for this particular package it's not able to meet the optimizations, which is why it's crashing. The bug is in the gcc compiler. If you're interested in fixing it, just browse through the gcc source code and submit your fix to the gcc team.

Your only recourse is to downgrade your cflags, but you only have to do it for this one package.

I bet if you did this:

CFLAGS="" emerge xine-lib

You'd get past your problem, kde would keep on emerging, and you'd be in a much better mood.
mathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tried that. Didn't work. Same error message as before.
Snappi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u post the log.
mathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to do that : I haven't yet installed kde/mozila etc. on my laptop, right ? So I am posting these messages using another computer ( running Windows) .

The error message is something like "bla bla blah ... emerge media-libs/xine-lib-1_rc2 failed" - more or less.
bobbydole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathey wrote:
I don't know how to do that : I haven't yet installed kde/mozila etc. on my laptop, right ? So I am posting these messages using another computer ( running Windows) .

The error message is something like "bla bla blah ... emerge media-libs/xine-lib-1_rc2 failed" - more or less.

haha

bobbyD
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathey wrote:

That's not the error.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I like that attitude: refuses to search, to lower CFLAGS (at first), and regards vital error messages as 'blah blah'.

Anyway, emerge lynx. Or even simpler: take the laptop to the other computer, and copy the error message over.
seand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowsers batman!

how about you remove your amazing specialized cflags, make em basic p4 cflags, emerge -e world and give kde another go.

OR

emerge links, and past the error message. or save the error message as a text file, toss it on a webspace someplace and that way we all can check it out...

though its beyond me why someone would want to help someone else who refuses to work with those called to help...
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
I REFUSE TO ANSWER BOTH AN UNFRIENDLY MESSAGE AND A GUY WHO DOESN'T SEARCH THE FORUMS

Edit: Just saw the post above mine.

Anyway, this problem is not caused by the Gentoo developers, but by the Xine developers. You only have to lower your CFLAGS while compiling it, then you can go back to your old ones.
Thats not really true, its not uncommon for ebuilds to downgrade CFLAGS on problem ebuilds (seems like openoffice is like that.) Given the role the Gentoo's developers have put themselves in, it is not beyond their responsibility to do make such fixes. Though its ours, the users, responsibility to politely report such errors...

And as mentioned, this person has some messed up CFLAGS.
AgentUSA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following CFLAGS worked for me:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and the moral of the story is ....
seand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
.... and the moral of the story is ....

caplocks+abusing emoticons+illiteracy=screwed up CFLAGS?

:lol:
polle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he should look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=113086&highlight=xinelib1rc2
ardnut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While emerging kde 3.2 (on a clean gentoo install - no previous kde version installed) I found that it failed to compile on about 3/4 different packages, I fixed these problems by either:
- unmasking a higher version than the one that was failing (older version of package was probably incompatible with the kernel 2.6.3 I was using???)
- or, strange enough just rebooting the machine and rerunning the kde emerge cleared the problem up (no idea why that worked, but it did on a couple of occations)
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardnut wrote:
- or, strange enough just rebooting the machine and rerunning the kde emerge cleared the problem up (no idea why that worked, but it did on a couple of occations)

You might wanna check the temperatur of your system in that case... It might be that it get's too hot when compiling...
ardnut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Nomad_ wrote:
ardnut wrote:

You might wanna check the temperatur of your system in that case... It might be that it get's too hot when compiling...

I don't think thats the problem, the machine was compliling for about an hour then failed, I rebooted and it carried on fine for around 10 hours over night, very strange.
og-phantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgentUSA wrote:
The following CFLAGS worked for me:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

i too was having the xine-lib problem... the specific cflag that i found that xine-lib was barfing on is "-march=pentium4" or in some peeps case it would be "-mcpu=pentium4" .... I think it's a AMD plot against us P4 users :lol: Just lower the cpu/arch type to pentium3 or i686 and it will compile fine. You can switch the cflags back after you emerge xine-lib....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: