Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
no digitalsound anymore after merging kde3.2 (sb-live 5.1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatBrugge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: no digitalsound anymore after merging kde3.2 (sb-live 5.1) Reply with quote

I installed gentoo 1.4 today with kernel 2.6.2. At firts I installed fluxbox to have an gui to use while surfing the net and xmms for my mp3 colection. At that time I had sound comming out of mij digital output (I use inspire 5.1 digital 5700 speakers) and it sounded verry well, much better than analog but..........

So after booting in fluxbox I also installed kde3.2 when that was done I rebooted the system and started kde3.2. Everything went smooth but I had no sound at all anymore!?? So I looked on this forum if others allso had that problem and 'luckely' they did there was a whole tread going on on that subject. So I started reading and reading and tried the sugestions people gived.

Oke so now I have sound again after reading that topic but I only have analog sound now. As soon as I want to switch over to digitaloutput the sound stops and I life in sillend again :cry:

The thing I did allready are:
Code:

/etc/init.d/alsasound stop
 * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
 * Unloading ALSA...
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels
 * Unloading modules                                                      [ ok ]
rm /etc/asound.state
mv /usr/kde/3.2/bin/artsd /usr/kde/3.2/bin/nomore-artsd
/etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * ALSA Detected...
 * Restoring Mixer Levels
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!    [ !! ]
                                                                          [ ok ]

I also did the same with an emerge unmerge alsa-lib alsa-utils between and a reboot.

After that I wanted to set the alsamixer levels again the way I did before but I noticed that even after removing "/etc/asound.state" the volume levels where in the same state as I had set them before so it looked like I did not had to set anything.

I find it a bit odd that
1. after removing asound.state and even a unmerge the levels stil stay the way you left them.
2. I cannot use digitalsound even knowing the volume settings are oke.

So how can I get digitalsound back on my system. I know I have analogsound but digitalsound sounds so much better so I like to have that back again.

greetings...
PatBrugge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone an idea?
trikke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
got the same problem with kde 3.2

however when i use 3.1.5 (i run both kde's) i can use my digital sound :?

ok i found the problem

start KMIX and deselect IEC958 Optical raw in the advanced settings of the mix panel !
PatBrugge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O
Thank you very much it works and I am back to digitalsound again (what a releave :) )

I still wonder how it happend but oke it works now
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn it. almost thought someone already solved the problem. with my audigy2 the problem remains - i don't have sound with xmms and kde. the strange thing is, that xine with alsa ac3 output works fine. don't know where that bug is hiding...

i tried to set the settings in kmix too with no avail
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what i get when starting xmms is the following:
Code:
/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libxmms-flac.so: undefined symbol: FLAC__plugin_common__init_dither_context

and i'm not sure it that happened before too or not. anyway, i'm running now kde-3.2.2 with a 2.6.5 kernel which i used before. i already disabled arts with no success either.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: