Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What games are the best in gentoo? What emulatiors are best?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bungernut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: What games are the best in gentoo? What emulatiors are best? Reply with quote

Yes, im new to gentoo and just got my Insperion 8200 running cherry. I dont even know where to start as far as games in gentoo. I know im intrested in emulating games like the old NINTENDO and SNES but there are so many different emulatiors, maby you all could tell me which are your favorite, do any support multiplayer??. Also i have a pretty good machine so how about some computer games too; i like: halo, warcraft, NWN, rise_of_nations, Europa 1400, what might I try? How many of you all use wine or similar to play buggy Windows games in gentoo?? Im also debating that posibility.

P4 1.8Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
gForce4GO 32mb :cry:
1600x1200 UXGA LCD :twisted:
ginji
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN has native linux support :)

plenty of emulaters, just have a browse through /usr/portage/games-emulation/ for them, read the portage info on each of em, and try em out...

halo will prob not run (after all it's a M$ peice of $h1t)... others i do not know

what gfx card do you have, cause you will have to set that up as well (if you haven't yet :)
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine(X) is decent and getting better by the day it seems, so thats definatly an option. The Linux version of NWN is fantastic. As far as console emulation, I'm currently hooked on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. VisualBoyAdvance plays it just fine. Of course the graphics are a little jaggy if you increase the window size beyond the tiny little GBA screen size, but otherwise its fine.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Super Nintendo emulation, go for zsnes. :D It comes with a menu-based GUI, cheat code support (Game Genie and others), and tons of screen modes.

I remember looking at a couple of NES emulators, and actually playing on FakeNES for a while, but they all use z/x for the buttons, which just doesn't work on a Dvorak layout. So I don't use it.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKS_frag_em_aussie wrote:
NWN has native linux support :)

plenty of emulaters, just have a browse through /usr/portage/games-emulation/ for them, read the portage info on each of em, and try em out...

halo will prob not run (after all it's a M$ peice of $h1t)... others i do not know

what gfx card do you have, cause you will have to set that up as well (if you haven't yet :)

Before I bought Halo, I tried the demo. It complained that DirectX 9 needed to be installed.

I use Windows emulators. VisualBoyAdvance and ZSnes. If it's allowed here, how can I get GameCube roms? Are they out yet? (I legally own a lot of games)

One other random question: Where can I mask/unmask (uh like I did to get kde 3.2_beta5) files in portage?
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Halo you should try playing Tribes.
There is a native version of Tribes2 for linux, and tribes legends is free and in portage.

Halo is just Microsoft stealing tribesII, then trying to be CS by only allowing you two weapons.

GET TRIBES!

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
bungernut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: All dady, where do you get these "ROMS"?? Reply with quote

So, i dont even know what leageally owning games really means, i cant get them off of the nes cartrages, so how do i get roms?
Im assuming Tribes2 is not free? Ill look into it but i have zero money.
Thanks everyone ill get right to putting off my studies
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying the game. That's legal. I'm not sure if ROMs are legal.
Shigure
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roms, as per what Nintendo has to say about them, are not legal to download off the internet (at least, in the US). As for Tribes 2, it was distributed by Loki, and wasn't free either. Loki long since has gone out of buisness, so you could probably find a copy fairly cheap.

Hope that helps. :)
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Better delete those... I had no idea. I knew that the 24hr crap was dead fake. Thanks for the heads up. Masking?
Shigure
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't see that. To perm unmask a package, you need to first create the directory /etc/portage. Next, make a file called package.unmask, then dump what you want unmasked in there. For instance, you could do
Code:
echo "=kde-base/kdebase-3.2.0" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
to unmask kdebase. Repeat for the others, and you should be good to go.
bungernut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: what about the games that i have portage file for?? Reply with quote

ANyone get into any games that i can simply emerge????
jathey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: games you can just play Reply with quote

Here are some of my favorite games in the portage tree:

FreeCiv, a clone of Civilization 2, is great. Network play is included. The interface isn't as slick as its inspiration, but it's still fun.
PyDance is a Dance Dance Revolution clone. It comes with a couple of songs, and there are others to download on on the wibbly wide web.
Frozen Bubble is a puzzle game like Snood for Windows. High production values on this one.
Tuxracer, at least the old open source version, is in the portage tree. Great feeling of speed, and cute too.
Abuse-SDL is a classic side-scroller. I believe it has been completely freed by its creators, so you can get the whole game.
Neverball is a Super Monkey Ball clone. This is essentially a 3d marble rolling game, and is more fun than it sounds.
If you don't own the original game, you can at least play the shareware versions of Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Descent 1, Descent 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and many others, all in graphically enhanced engines. If you have a powerful video card, be sure to check out Tenebrae Quake for some real eye candy.

As for emulation, fceultra is probably the best NES emulator. ZSNES is best for SNES, hands down. If you run your display in 16-bit mode, Gens is great for Sega Genesis. epsxe is a great PS1 emulator. If you have a fast processor, Mupen64 will play lots of N64 games.

If these aren't enough games to entertain you, then you need a job or more homework. :wink:
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I had to edit some file and uncomment something...

Ah, games:

Enemy Territory (enemyterritory)
America's Army (americasarmy)
Tons of demos
Tribes Legends (legends, I think)
bungernut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: OK, i guess i still have a few more questions Reply with quote

zsnes, mupen64 needs qt, i hate kde so that isent going to work. I guess that all these emulators need qt (what exactly is qt - assoiated with kde at least)? Where does one find roms, search google??
Rodent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qt and gtk are the interface libary files (the way programs get menus and whatnot) for KDE and Gnome. It would be a vast misconception that KDE is nesscary to run qt based apps or the other way around. The differences are most clearly seen in the language of use KDE C++, Gnome C. KDE was first, but orginally under a non-free (as in freedom) lisence thus Gnome was started. Most (ie me) consider qt to be more designed like BSD and gtk to be more adhoc like linux. BTW Gnome is LGPL (bsd like) and KDE has a more GPL like lisence (however still commerical).

You can get some roms legally at http://www.starroms.com.
As for other (illegal) sources for roms I would suggest you ask else where as it is clear violation of the forum guide lines to disscuss such things. However, newsgroups, IRC, and P2P networks have long been open communities for that kind of 'disscussion.'
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwn vote here...and you can emerge it but I've had an easier time just following the instructions on the website...makes it easy since I own both x-pacs
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, i guess i still have a few more questions Reply with quote

bungernut wrote:
zsnes, mupen64 needs qt, i hate kde so that isent going to work. I guess that all these emulators need qt (what exactly is qt - assoiated with kde at least)? Where does one find roms, search google??

Don't install QT just to get mupen64 running, it's not worth it. In it's current stage it's not good compared to project64 (which is only available for windows :-()
blight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes... I have written the mupen64 gui - it's plain GTK-1.2 without *any* Qt...
A new mupen64 version will be released soon (with a dynarec) and it will be much faster... also all the people really into emulation seem to believe that 1964 1.0 is usually better than project64 ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: