bash & .bashrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: bash & .bashrc Reply with quote

I'm a newby to linux and perhaps I try to understand more than neccessary.. but today I had this problem, which I could solve, but don't understand why.

my gentoo installation is quite new and so I habe to configure a lot of basic stuff. and so I edited my .bashrc for the root account to add alias and stuff. I did it also for my user-account.
I noticed, that when I login with my user, the .bashrc is loaded and the aliases are available. when I log in as root, the bash does not load additional configuration. Then I compared both configs and saw, that the .bash_profile file for my root setup was missing. by adding this, login as root worked now properly (well, I had my aliases).

I read in the man, that normaly the .bashrc should be loaded also without the profile file.

well, perhaps someone knows more.. doh.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From man bash:

Quote:
When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-inter active shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.

So your .bash_profile only gets read when it's a loginshell.

Also, when an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists, so .bashrc will only be read if it's not a loginshell (or if it's specified in your .bash_profile ;) ).
jrz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always put aliases and env variables in ~/.bash_profile and at the end of .bash_profile something like this to check if the shell is interactive and if it is to run fortune, which is in .bashrc

Code:

if [ "$PS1" ]; then
   source $HOME/.bashrc
fi

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: