View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Qt 3.3 upgrade Reply with quote

Yes, it's now available (~x86 for now). It works pretty well here.

Amongst other things, it now includes support for ipv6 (using the ipv6 use flag). With this support turned on, Qt will continue running like it used to. With this support turned off, Qt also continues running like it used to, but it generates some binary incompatible plugin modules.

This means that libraries that were linked against an older Qt's plugin system will most likely not work. They will need to be re-emerged.

For most people this will be kdelibs and kdeartwork. You'll know you need to do this if your styles in KDE don't work like they used to after upgrading Qt.

Hope this helps.

Caleb
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh.... I was just surfing the forums for this very issue. Re-emerging now. SGI and Motif are UUGGGGGLLLLYYYYY....
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Qt 3.3 upgrade Reply with quote

caleb wrote:
Amongst other things, it now includes support for ipv6 (using the ipv6 use flag). With this support turned on, Qt will continue running like it used to. With this support turned off, Qt also continues running like it used to, but it generates some binary incompatible plugin modules.

I'm confused. Presumably you meant that the other way around - if you exclude ipv6 it will behave just as before; if you include it you will create some binary incompatibilities due to the change.

Or am I missing the point?

Also, if you compile the 'incompatible' version (whether that is with or without ipv6), does recompiling anything that depends on Qt resolve these incompatibilities? I.e. would I need to rebuild KDE for example?
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it correctly - you have to enable ipv6 to keep compatibility - turning it off (which happens if you don't have the ipv6 use flag) creates an incompatible module.
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the only incompatibility that we've noticed so far is for style plugins - that is, you don't have recompile all of kde, just kdelibs and kdeartwork.
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-emerged kdelibs and kdeartwork and I have the styles and such back, but styles seems to be broken. If I choose plastik, all of the widgets look like keramik. Using anything else (SGI, Motif, etc.) all seems to work fine. The window decoration is plastik but all of the window widgets arent't. If I change Control Center to plastik, the Control Center itself looks like plastik until you close it. Every other window and Control Center when you re-open it looks like Keramik widgets. Screenshot:

http://bamboo.lexi.com/~jmccormick/keramik-widgets.png
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rndpkt wrote:
I re-emerged kdelibs and kdeartwork and I have the styles and such back, but styles seems to be broken. If I choose plastik, all of the widgets look like keramik. Using anything else (SGI, Motif, etc.) all seems to work fine. The window decoration is plastik but all of the window widgets arent't. If I change Control Center to plastik, the Control Center itself looks like plastik until you close it. Every other window and Control Center when you re-open it looks like Keramik widgets. Screenshot:

Hmm. the recompile worked fine for me here. Sat in KDE and remerged kdelibs and kdeartwork, logged out (with the ugly theme still applied) and then logged back in and changed back to thinkeramik, and everything is fine. I tested plastik as you mentioned and that seemed fine too.
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One ponders rebuilding QT with the ipv6 use flag vs. rebuiding kdelibs and kdeartwork :?
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb wrote:
I said it correctly - you have to enable ipv6 to keep compatibility - turning it off (which happens if you don't have the ipv6 use flag) creates an incompatible module.
Thanks for clearing that up. I asked because it went against my intuition.
dizzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my experiences to the mix. :D
Upgraded to qt-3.3 without ipv6. Everything in kde still works without re-emerging. YMMV.
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rndpkt wrote:

Carlo pointed out that re-emerging kdeaddons fixed this problem for him, so you may want to try that as well.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it screwed up my licq-qt tray/slit icon. the icon has distorted and/or cut off graphics (depends on the skin you set) and refuses to dock. i've recompiled it, didn't help. i'm using fluxbox and no KDE.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
r2dtu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here with qt-3.3 and kde-3.2. I've even modified the ebuild to respect CFLAGS. Tried two machines. One with "-march=pentium4 -O2" the other with "-march=athlon -O2". No problems so far.
Why recent qt ebuilds no longer modify qt to respect CFLAGS?
yamakawa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it!
Now I reemerged kdelibs and am going to emerge kile-1.6.1.
Thanks!
rndpkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb wrote:
rndpkt wrote:

Carlo pointed out that re-emerging kdeaddons fixed this problem for him, so you may want to try that as well.

Hrmm.. this seems to be opening a can of worms now. I can't rebuild kdeaddons due to the following error:

Code:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=athlon-tbird -mcpu=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o mediacontrol_panelapplet.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.2/lib/kde3 -module -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -R /usr/kde/3.2/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/kde/3.2/lib  mediacontrol.lo playerInterface.lo noatunInterface.lo xmmsInterface.lo configfrontend.lo mediacontrolconfig.lo jukInterface.lo mediacontroliface_skel.lo mediacontrolconfigwidget.lo -lkdeui -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libgtk.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[4]: *** [mediacontrol_panelapplet.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeaddons-3.2.0/work/kdeaddons-3.2.0/kicker-applets/mediacontrol'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeaddons-3.2.0/work/kdeaddons-3.2.0/kicker-applets/mediacontrol'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeaddons-3.2.0/work/kdeaddons-3.2.0/kicker-applets'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdeaddons-3.2.0/work/kdeaddons-3.2.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdeaddons-3.2.0 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 127, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

I tried re-emerging gtk and it seems to be just fine. The file in reference is a perfectly fine libtool archive. I compiled it with

Code:
USE="-xmms" emerge kdeaddons

and everything seems to have build fine. Another bug or is my system messed up? I've rebuilt gtk+ and libtool and both seems to be working find and other test rebuilds of gtk+-based things seemed to be fine. I'm also seeing some odd warnings I've never seen before such as

Code:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library noatunpitchablespeed.la against the loadable module
*** libnoatunarts.so is not portable!

This again seems to only be associated with KDE building.

Okay... I'll stop rambling now...
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After upgrading to QT 3.3, I'm having, so far, 2 noticeable problems.

1. My KMenu is a little too skinny.
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~woodcm/kmenu.png
You can see that the right side cuts off too much. The arrows have their tips chopped off.

2. Tooltips for the taskbar pop up after I move the mouse off. For example... If I click on the taskbar entry for Firefox and then move the mouse away, the tooltip will pop up after the mouse leaves, and stay there until I put the mouse over it again, or click the tooltip itself.

I've reemerged kdelibs, kdebase, and kdeartwork so far. What else should I try?
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to see all the libaries which depends on the old qt and need recompiled
Deepu Sudhakar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourwood wrote:

You can see that the right side cuts off too much. The arrows have their tips chopped off.

2. Tooltips for the taskbar pop up after I move the mouse off. For example... If I click on the taskbar entry for Firefox and then move the mouse away, the tooltip will pop up after the mouse leaves, and stay there until I put the mouse over it again, or click the tooltip itself.

I can confirm problem number 1. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it (I recompiled all my KDE packages and it didn't change it).
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are problems with umlauts and other special chars now and i really can't dock LICQ any longer. it went smoothly into the slit before 3.3, but now the dock-icon is just floating around on a transparent background with the titlebar "LicqWharf", which will totally distort the icon if i turn it off. what did they do to qt???

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which is the better solution, remerge kdelibs and kdeartwork or QT with the ipv6 flag?
en_jones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: a different kind of problem Reply with quote

I can't confirm that it's related, but after emerging qt-3.3 i noticed that Konqueror messes up displaying web pages, and if you click in the wrong spot of the screen, it will crash. In fact, since emerging KDE 3.2 the other day a lot of random crashes have been taking place. Reemerging kdebase, kdelibs, kdebindings, kdenetwork, etc now, see if that helps. Any other suggestions?
The Dealy Lama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rndpkt wrote:

I'll have to throw in my towel as well - got the exact same problem described by rndpk in the above quote. What bugs me(literally), is that I've tried recompiling the entire KDE 3.2 suit and qt 3.3 with "ipv6" as well. Still no luck with choosing plastik as my preferred style in Control Center. I get the distinct feeling it can't find the style and thus reverts to keramik, this being the default(?) style of 3.2.

Here's the bugzilla-entry: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41041

PS. *Cough* My live-in's uncle is head of staff at Trolltech - a phone call and a couple of angry barks might fix this problem... :lol:
"The shadows of this world are perceived by mortals, and they think they know the Truth, but the Reality which casts the shadows is hidden from them, and they do not perceive the Light." (Sayings 2:2)"
gungholady
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't confirm that it's related, but after emerging qt-3.3 i noticed that Konqueror messes up displaying web pages, and if you click in the wrong spot of the screen, it will crash. In fact, since emerging KDE 3.2 the other day a lot of random crashes have been taking place. Reemerging kdebase, kdelibs, kdebindings, kdenetwork, etc now, see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

How did you get kdebindings to completely compile in the first place? I haven't ever been able to get it to compile.
graffitici
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepu Sudhakar wrote:
fourwood wrote:

I can confirm problem number 1. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it (I recompiled all my KDE packages and it didn't change it).

I have the same problem. However in my system (KDE3.2) the arrows are not cut short, but they are unavailable. Before reemerging, the K menu seemed really awkward and stretched vertically. Moreover the plastik theme didn't seem to work either.
So I reemerged kdelibs and kdeartwork as somebody had advised. Now the vertical size of kicker is back to normal. But...

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/graffitici/linux/qt3.jpg

There is a gap between the pop-up menus.

I noticed that apps run faster though, as a last solace.[/url]
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone notice this:
Code:

Semi-Transparent Windows

Support for semi-transparent top-level widgets on Mac OS X and Windows 2000/XP has been added. To make a widget semi-transparent, call QWidget::setWindowOpacity() with an opacity level between 0.0 and 1.0, for example:
widget->setWindowOpacity(0.5);

sounds neat :D

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: