View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lpsmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Many X clients segfault Reply with quote

I've been slowly migrating out of my 3.5 year old Debian installation to Gentoo. Everything was going along fine until last Friday, when things suddenly and unexpectedly stopped working.

I had finished manually compiling samba-2.2.8a, (I used emerge -f to download the source) and a few minnutes after performing a "make install", I noticed I couldn't start a lot of different applications. So then I logged out, but then GDM crashed so I rebooted.

Rebooting did not help the problem at all. I noticed I could start a barebones TWM session but couldn't start a GNOME session, and that many clients would segfault if they ran locally but worked fine if ran remotely. As root I did a

Code:
find / -mtime 0 -printf "%t %p\n" | sort > modified
find / -ctime 0 -printf "%c %p\n" | sort > changed

and II can't find any file that would seem to explain this bizzare behavior. With the exception of /sbin/mount.smbfs , samba stayed inside /usr/local/.

Here is a summary of the status of some of the X clients running on my X server:

Running locally, displayed locally:
    Working:
      xeyes
      xlogo
      Xnest
      xterm
      twm
      emacs
    Not working:
      gdm (thinks that the X server is crashing, but gdm itself is crashing)
      gaim (seg fault)
      metacity (seg fault)
      gnect (no output)
      MozillaFirebird (no output)
      kmail (DCOP says kmail probably crashed)
      kjumpingcube (seg fault)

Running remotely, displayed locally:
    They all work, with the exception of Firebird, which reports "No running window found".

This problem is affecting GNOME apps, Mozilla, and KDE apps, all which use different GUI toolkits, but basic X applications continue to work fine.

best,
leon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: