Installing / Administering on Multiple Machines
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pardsbane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Installing / Administering on Multiple Machines Reply with quote

Hello, I've been running Gentoo on a personal basis for a very long time, but I've never used it at work. I would like to propose its use here at my company to replace our RedHat 9.0 machines.

Is there any documentation around on the best way to install, maintain and keep mulitple machines up-to date with Gentoo?

We have a heterogenious mix of P3 and P4 machines used as developer Workstations. I'd like to either do a stage 3 install on each machine and then keep them synced somehow, or alternatively, build a set of packages for our lowest-common-denominator machine configuration, and then install that on each machine. Are there any opinions or docs out there on how to do that, or is there another, better method?

Thanks,

Josh
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this thread to help you setup a central rsync server for your gentoo boxes. Also, check out the install docs for setting up a distcc server for helping your machines compile. Good luck.

Green Is Good
starachna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello - i maintain 9 gentoo machines used as desktops ... i use partimage simply because it's fast, if you have stuff to do then installing a machine, even with stage 3 just takes too long ( bear in mind our bandwidth really sucks :) )

i create a ghost of the last pc i parted with the latest apps, everyone backs up to samba, drives get mounted in fstab, rsync using a local machine on our lan - evryone runs either flux or kde and so far it's gone really great, have been doing things this way for almost a year.

i have never had a virus problem, and i'm even getting windowze people to move over - personally i think this solution is better than the win32 one.
much less work :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: