Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Easy email system in three simple steps.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Easy email system in three simple steps. Reply with quote

Don't feel like spending hours trying to set up an emailsystem ? Then this is the guide for you.

1. Type 'emerge courier' in a terminal when logged in as root.
2. *Configure the various files that needs to be configured (more info at the end of the emerge), the three most importent files are courierd, imapd (or popd) and esmtpd, they are all located in the /etc/courier folder.
3. Type 'rc-update add courier default' and then '/etc/init.d/courier start' in a terminal when logged in as root.

* While step two might seem as everything but easy I can assure you that it is not that hard to figure out what you need to change.

Spam filtering:
1. Type 'emerge Mail-SpamAssassin' in a terminal when logged in as root.
2. Add the following code to .mailfilter in the home directories of those users who wish to have spam filtering.

Code:

MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir/ # Default mail directory

xfilter "/usr/bin/spamc -u [b]user[b] -f"
                                                                                                                                                             (more info at the end of the emerge)
###X-Spam-Flag '' YES '' INBOX.Spam '' m '' on '' off ''
if (/^X-Spam-Flag:.*YES/)
{
to "$MAILDIR/.Spam"
}

Where [b]user[b] needs to be changed to a valid user.

TIP: Take a look at the aliases/system file in the /etc/courier folder. Here you can configure email-aliases, ie. associate john.doe@email.com with the user doe instead of just doe@email.com.

This is everything I had to do to get my email system up and running. If I can do it, so can you ;).

The courier package includes alot more features then just pop/imap/smtp deamons so you'r bound to find something to your liking in there.

ps. This document was written rather hastely so there is bound to be errors and such, feel free to correct me. ds.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Snappi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice
JoeykhCom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: