Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michel v wrote:
As my sig says, never do emerge -u world.

Nothing wrong with emerge -u world; just be careful with what you let it do. You need to be completely aware of what's it doing and that it's all ok before you let it blindly run. Main thing is just to WAIT on running risky things like glibc or other libs that lots of things link to. Just wait a week or so when risky updates come out; usually they do a couple of revisions on the ebuilds in the first couple weeks, and you will benefit from the fixed problems if you take a more conservative approach.
qarce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Wish the needed stuff would not break!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

So, I wish the needed system wide stuff would not break. i.e. cups printing, X, etc.
Just upgraded cups and my config is gone.... No I didn't replace it...

I can live with my KDE not upgrading for a time but to share a system and have a service go down!!!

Just my 2c.

Quentin
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wish the needed stuff would not break!!! Reply with quote

qarce wrote:
Hi,

So, I wish the needed system wide stuff would not break. i.e. cups printing, X, etc.
Just upgraded cups and my config is gone.... No I didn't replace it...

I can live with my KDE not upgrading for a time but to share a system and have a service go down!!!

Just my 2c.

Quentin

portage never overwrite config files... you probably missed the file listed when running etc-update
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nomad, I have never had Gentoo overwrite a config file.

Sometimes I wish it would, especially the odd gnome ones that I've never heard of and probably never use as I don't actually use gnome. But that is just me being lazy :-)
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that the people who have a problem with "the quality of ebuilds slipping" are expecting too much of the devs. If that's a problem, use Debian until Gentoo is a much more mature distro. Why is Debian stable so stable? Because if there's an instability of any kind, there's a huge outcry, because people's attitude is, "things should NEVER break in stable." But in Gentoo, with only perhaps 25,000 users at best, one can only expect, "things probably shouldn't break in stable, but if they do, I should tell someone about it, or fix it." Gentoo has only been mainstream usable for about a year or two. Linux From Scratch is more mature, for a start!

So, my advice: expect to be on the bleeding edge, or learn to wait.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not expecting too much, I am a developer myself and know how hard it is to get things right first time, especially when you are doing them on a voluntary basis.

What I am saying is that when I started using Gentoo I don't remember there being as many show stopping problems with the ebuilds, so my question of "is the quality slipping?" stands.

I am not saying the quality is poor, I think on the whole it is excelent even after the slips.
agrippa_cash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
only perhaps 25,000 users at best
Are you going by Netcraft? That survey counts Apache servers which report what they are running on.
I only ask becuase I never really thought about how many Gentoo'ers are out there, and now I want a reliable metric. I would bet that the fast majority of Gentoo users are running a Destop machine not a webserver. Conversly I think that Netcraft counts 10 domains running on 1 Gentoo box as 10 Gentoos, so it may even out.
Quality has been nearly perfect for me. But I am still quite a noob, and since I am also always installing beta stuff with aggressive CFLAGS, I expect some breakage/failure. Maybe if I knew that nothing broke was my fault I would be less tolerant, but as it stands I know just enough to be dangerous.
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
Why is Debian stable so stable?

Because it's all OLD. It's easy to make stable literally stable if it's all software that's so old there's been time to work out the bugs. Do people want Gentoo stable to be like that? Perhaps Gentoo needs three different flags like Debian - stable, testing, and unstable.

I tried debian stable recently for a machine running mysql. I couldn't believe how old the mysql version was... I think about 2 years old or something. I couldn't even use it because it didn't have the SHA function. I understand that I sacrifice features for stability, but I just don't think debian releases new versions often enough. How long has it been since woody?

Carl
EugeneTSWong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Gentoo quality does seem to be slipping. Reply with quote

I'm trying to upgrade my kernel, glibc, gcc, kde & whatever else is related. I personally find that the quality is slipping. I remember that it was much easier to install. I started using Gentoo around the Red Hat 8.* days. I wanted to install Gentoo, because I couldn't upgrade my Red Hat 6.2 system.

I honestly don't know what the deal is. I keep getting these compile errors; some with gettext, most with glibc, & some with gcc.

1 really disturbing thing happened. I can't remember what it I did. All I know is that the emerge started to uninstall binutils & a few other programs. My memory is hazy, so take it for what it's worth. I just know that I had no gcc profile, & I couldn't compile or do anything python related.

I've been emerging stable for such a long time, so there isn't any reason why this should be happening. I'm sure that a lot of it should be my fault for not following the upgrade instructions, but still, it should be easier than this. Also, if the instructions are so easy, & my mistakes are so simple, then they really need to start making upgrade scripts to take care of glibc & gcc, etc.

Alas, this is just my opinion & I'm not an expert.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo quality does seem to be slipping. Reply with quote

EugeneTSWong wrote:
1 really disturbing thing happened. I can't remember what it I did.
Alas, this is just my opinion & I'm not an expert.

The lack of your skills is not your fault. I think the system should be more prepared for people like you. Or for situations when lack of time is an important factor to keep tracking all changes. That's why I think Gentoo needs some support from software like cfengine cfengine:
Quote:

Cfengine, or the configuration engine is an autonomous agent and a middle to high level policy language for building expert systems which administrate and configure large computer networks. Cfengine uses the idea of classes and a primitive intelligence to define and automate the configuration and maintenance of system state, for small to huge configurations. Cfengine is designed to be a part of a computer immune system, and can be thought of as a gaming agent. It is ideal for cluster management and has been adopted for use all over the world in small and huge organizations alike.

Here are some of the primitives which can be automated:

• Check and configure the network interface.
  • Edit textfiles.
  • Make and maintain symbolic links, including multiple links from a single command.
  • Check and set the permissions and ownership of files.
  • Tidy (delete) junk files which clutter the system.
  • Systematic, automated mounting of filesystems (Unix).
  • Checking for the presence of important files and filesystems.
  • Controlled execution of user scripts and shell commands.
  • Cfengine follows a class-based decision structure.

Sounds like what Portage is already doing? Not exactly. Portage is a huge help when it comes to fine-grained dependency control for packages. In fact, it is a tool for managing packages in their life cycle including installation, upgrades and uninstallation. Also there is some aotomation with etc files. But the actual installation is written in an ebuild as a shell script.

There is some opinion (I heard it from Gentoo developers) that further level of fine-grained control over the installation and configuration process itself. It would too much of effort to re-invent the wheel, that's why they consider if some software can already help. One of candidates is cfengine.

It's a sort of an expert system that brings some artificial intelligenece when anatural one is lacking (sometimes due to skills, sometimes due to a level of complexivity of the system). I am trying to find time to understand cfengine in more details. But what I have learnt so far is already exciting.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That system sounds pretty cool, if it could actually be done. Sounds like a pretty ambitious thing to code to me though.

One of the biggest weaknesses with the whole Gentoo approach, IMHO, is that it is impossible for the devs to test for or anticipate all the possible states that a particular Gentoo system might be in. We don't have "versions" like Redhat or whatever that they can test all the upgrades and package compiles against. And the problem is compounded when people don't really regularly attend to the health of their systems; it can be VERY difficult (though definitely not impossible) to upgrade an older, unmaintained Gentoo system to newer package versions without a complete reinstall. I recently upgraded about 10 Gentoo systems that had been used (offline from the Internet, so security wasn't an issue) in my university's network test bed. None had had an emerge sync since last August, and over half of the package versions running on the machine were no longer even in Portage (I know, I looked into it with some scripts.) A lot of ebuilds will crap out when you try to compile them on an older system like that, and I never managed to sort out some of the problems and ended up unmerging some problem packages that weren't really necessary anymore.

The devs can't be reasonably expected to test their ebuilds against old library versions, etc. This is a problem that I'm not sure is solvable expect with some sort of smart system like described above.

I'm not bashing Gentoo here as it actually did quite well at the upgrades in question. Really only about 2 or 3 things stubbornly wouldn't upgrade. But I think that in some cases we may be asking a bit much to demand that ebuilds NEVER fail to compile. This isn't a binary distro where every piece is tested against every other piece and sometimes things require some manual massaging.
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reply to axxackall

Something to add on your mention of lack of time comment, I recently had a php bug which I entered on the bugs list only to be told it was because I hadn't followed instructions of running ldconfig (I think) when something else had finished emerging.

The reason that I didn't see this, obviously important, message is that I tend to set an emerge -u world going then go to bed and hope that it is done in the morning.

I have heard about a script which does attempt to collect these messages but building something like this into portage would be a great help.

Just as a suggestion it could work along the lines of etc-update. All messages are added to some file and at the end, if there are any messages, you get a line telling you to run something or read something to find out what needs doing.

As apps get more interdependant things like this need to be concidered and when implemented should be as easy to use as possible as the more new-comers to linux that we can get straight onto gentoo and then keep because of how easy it is to use and keep up-to-date, and how stable (I know it can't be perfect!) it is, the better.

And to Mnemia
Its true that testing against all versions is not practicle, maybe not even possible, but hopefully the configs of the people who were affected by the recent gcc problem will be concidered next time ebuilds are being tested as so many people were affected that whatever configs they were using seems to be worth noting and testing against next time.
EugeneTSWong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo quality does seem to be slipping. Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
The lack of your skills is not your fault. I think the system should be more prepared for people like you. Or for situations when lack of time is an important factor to keep tracking all changes. That's why I think Gentoo needs some support from software like cfengine cfengine:

Thanks for your encouragement. I don't feel so bad anymore.

1 of the other fellows mentioned a problem of keeping portage up to date. I can agree with his point of view. The big question is when should people upgrade? Maybe what the maintainers need to do is give a warning message of when to upgrade. For people like me, who like to wait as long as possible to upgrade, it would be extremely helpful to just get a warning message to be told to upgrade, & then just be able to run a single command.

1 problem with Gentoo documentation & all documentation in general is that if you don't expect there to be documentation, then you won't check. Another problem is that the documentation doesn't always match up to your particular circumstance. I don't blame anybody for that, though.

Maybe I should speak to the guy who maintains the upgrade documentation. If I explain what I don't understand, then we might be able to write better documentation. Another guy worth speaking to is the maintainer of the emerge documentation. We need a better explanation of when to use -u or -U or neither. I honestly can't tell the difference.
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good points, I don't know who keeps docs up-to-date but I know on stuff I work on (being a developer during the day) I know that I'd always rather someone came and told me when they found something hard to use or understand so that I could correct or change it in some way to improve it.

In my experience, the worst people to read and decide if docs are good enough are the people directly involved with projects as they tend to miss little things which either change meanings or subtly alter the way things are done, usually just because they know systems so well themselves that they miss the things or assume that they are obvious.

Having said all that, I think that the Gentoo docs are very good, all in one place which really help and organised well. The walk throughs are good, I've reinstalled from scratch a couple of times and even though I know what I'm doing now I still have a copy of the docs to hand just in case. Man pages are good for when you know what you are doing but a good walk through for beginners can't be beaten.

As for the question on -U or -u I never realised there was a -U as I have always done -u so I checked the man pages and discovered something that someone mentioned to me in passing the other day:

Quote:
Note that --update does not have full functionality yet. It will not automatically update dependencies of packages in the world file, unless they too are in the world file.

so it does not update everything, only stuff in your world file. To get all files udpated you need to add a -D, on my system that makes a difference of 31 files to update! (5 before, 36 after).

The question on when to update and being told, I think that the best way to know when to update is to read the gentoo newsletters. They tell you when new things have been relased and when security vulnerabilities have been found. If you read it and see anything you use then it is time to update. I personally tend to do an rsync around once a month but if I know that a big security hole has been found I will do it asap. Maybe you need to do an rsync every once in a while and then an emerge -upv world (maybe with a -D, I'm not sure yet). That will tell you what will be updated and some other info. You can then decide whether to update or not. If there is nothing you really need the latest version of in the list you may chose not to bother.

Anyone with any more knowledge of portage feel free to correct me on any of these points, as I say, I'm still learing having only just found the -D!
EugeneTSWong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0wn_under wrote:
Having said all that, I think that the Gentoo docs are very good, all in one place which really help and organised well. The walk throughs are good, I've reinstalled from scratch a couple of times and even though I know what I'm doing now I still have a copy of the docs to hand just in case. Man pages are good for when you know what you are doing but a good walk through for beginners can't be beaten.

I can't believe that I forgot about the installation documentation. When I 1st tried it, it worked so well. I can't remember all of my experience with it, but I do have very positive memories. I've even recommend Gentoo for beginners because of the clarity of the documentation. I did have experience with Linux before Gentoo, so that probably made a big difference.

Another thing that I just thought of regarding upgrading: I suspect that bootstrap.sh might not work very well for transitioning between compilers. I tried installing Gentoo for the 1st time on an old system, bootstrap.sh didn't work. I never got to figure what was wrong though, because my dad took the computer & installed Windows 98 on it. We are intending to give the system to a friend. I honestly can't believe that Windows 98 would even cross his mind in this day & age. I definitely didn't agree with him on that. It is his old hardware, so I can't really do anything about it.

Thanks for your explanation on updating & upgrading.
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the fact you don't remember doing it means that the docs did their job perfectly!

The mark of a good system is one that you don't even realise that you are using, you just do it.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlivar wrote:
It's easy to make stable literally stable if it's all software that's so old there's been time to work out the bugs.

This statement is a ridiculous oversimplification. As an illustration: I might just as well say of Gentoo that it's easy to be cutting-edge if you simply toss all the latest software into the mix with next to no regard for either testing or integration. Besides, the lengthy gap between Debian releases is due to the difficulties involved in the release process, not an aim in and of itself.

Quote:
Do people want Gentoo stable to be like that?

Logical disconnect. Pointing out that [x] is better than Gentoo in terms of [y] is not the same as saying "I want Gentoo to become a clone of [x]", merely that it would be nice if the shortcoming could be addressed in some way. I don't think there's anything wrong in debating the respective strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.

Quote:
I tried debian stable recently for a machine running mysql. I couldn't believe how old the mysql version was... I think about 2 years old or something.

That's about right. The version in Stable is 3.23.49, which was released on the 14th of February, 2002.

Quote:
I couldn't even use it because it didn't have the SHA function.

Fair enough, although you could have used a backport, or the MySQL package from Testing or Unstable.

Quote:
How long has it been since woody?

Woody was released on the 19th of July, 2002 - so, around 19 months. That may sound a very long time, but it took 23 months for Woody to supercede Potato, so the current Stable release is still 4 months ahead of the game in that respect.
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
carlivar wrote:
It's easy to make stable literally stable if it's all software that's so old there's been time to work out the bugs.

This statement is a ridiculous oversimplification.

Correction to my ridiculous oversimplification: it is generally easier to make old software versions stable vs. newer versions.

Quote:
Besides, the lengthy gap between Debian releases is due to the difficulties involved in the release process, not an aim in and of itself.

Whatever these difficulties are, they make Debian too slow-moving for my tastes.

Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't even use it because it didn't have the SHA function.

Fair enough, although you could have used a backport, or the MySQL package from Testing or Unstable.

Yes, I did go with the testing package, and that had a LONG list of dependencies of other testing/unstable packages. There were so many (and such critical packages) that it turned out to be easier to just upgrade the whole machine to testing.

Quote:
Quote:
How long has it been since woody?

Woody was released on the 19th of July, 2002 - so, around 19 months. That may sound a very long time, but it took 23 months for Woody to supercede Potato, so the current Stable release is still 4 months ahead of the game in that respect.

Again, too slow for my tastes. My original point was simply that stability and recent software are usually mutually exclusive. Debian stable opts for the former, while Gentoo seems more like a balance to me.

Carl
choco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple reason for the quality of ebuilds slipping is that there are so many more to maintain. The portage tree is growing faster than the number of maintainers, I suspect.

A few days ago I submitted a new ebuild to Bugzilla for the first time. When I didn't hear anything back I did a query for newly submitted ebuilds and I was amazed. Mine was just another in the crowd. With all those ebuilds for the developers to wade through, I don't expect to see any activity on mine any time soon.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choco wrote:
One simple reason for the quality of ebuilds slipping is that there are so many more to maintain. The portage tree is growing faster than the number of maintainers, I suspect.

A few days ago I submitted a new ebuild to Bugzilla for the first time. When I didn't hear anything back I did a query for newly submitted ebuilds and I was amazed. Mine was just another in the crowd. With all those ebuilds for the developers to wade through, I don't expect to see any activity on mine any time soon.

You discribe the situation which normally should have nothing to do with amount of developers. Instead, it should rely on QA engineers. I guess the project management in Gentoo might be broken in area of planning QA resources and/or managing QA activity.

In mature teams QA artifacts are both validation and verification. That means QA controls quality of both product AND process, to make sure that "we build the RIGHT product" and "we build the product RIGHT". Gentoo team may need spend a bit more resources on auditing of their process.
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a point I would agree with, the QA dept should pick up as much broken stuff before it makes it out of the door.

Not all things can be caught, especially due to the flexible nature of Gentoo, but as long as lessons are learnt from the things that get out of the door then at least something good comes of it.

I'm a developer and the place I work have a policy that if a serious bug (relative I know but definatly something like fam dying) makes it customer facing then a report is done on how it got out and what can be done in the future to stop it happening again.

Does Gentoo have anything like this? As soon as I get some time I am going to have a look round to see if there are any docs on the release procedure, if I find anything good I'll post links back. If anyone has any links to save me searching it would be appreciated :-)
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Yet another quality control rant Reply with quote

There is a common discussion concerning Gentoo, that its continually-updated installations lack stability. Over the years, people have reported problems of all sorts which are generally caused by undesired interactions between packages.

My installation has just been bitten by one of these and I really cannot understand how it has happened. The NFS startup script /etc/init.d/netmount should only be run after /etc/init.d/rpc.statd because otherwise locking is not enabled and the filesystems in /etc/fstab are not mounted.

A few days about, a routine emerge --sync -q && emerge -aquDN world command installed a new /etc/init.d/netmount which did not have rpc.statd in its need clause. Ah thinks I, an official fix will appear within a day, for such a blatant error. But no ! Four days later, there is still no such official fix.

So what is it ? Am I the only person using NFS ? Does the developer not care ? Why was the need clause changed anyway ? I've fixed it myself but there are some things that I can't fix (mainly related to KDE) and it seems that my installation is gradually degrading, as a certain other operating system is known to do.

It does seem to me threads such as http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=19054 would be less bad-tempered if developers spent more time in testing and QA. Yes, I know, it's boring, I'm a developer too, but Gentoo is acquiring a bad reputation because of careless releases.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Specific problems Reply with quote

The specific problems with my installation currently are:
  • Sound has never worked under KDE. It works with the LiveCD. I understand that artsd is not maintained. Bizarre, for a basic component.
  • Konqueror won't show video. I did have it running flash once. Then that stopped working. Now nspluginviewer regularly crashes when closing pages.
  • The eth0 interface somehow stops working arbitrarily and it is necessary to run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart to fix it. This has been the case for about three weeks now.
  • revdep-rebuild fails because kitchensync-3.5.8 has compile errors, since osengine/engine.h doesn't exist.
  • Installing ATI driver updates is always a lottery, but it seems to be OK now with some xorg.conf tweaking. I had to mask a release recently.

gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sound under KDE has never been a problem with me.
3 different boxes.
I don't use Konqueror so no comment.
If your eth0 quits regularly it's probably a flaky kernel
module,like the sky2.Not Gentoo.
Never had any revdep-rebuild problem other than expat.
Ati has always been a pain,use nvidia on Linux.
Have you ever heard of an OS that never has problems?
If you did use it.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: