View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. this is a resurrection of an old thread!

I moved away from gentoo ages ago, I tried ubuntu for a while but found it way too bloated so moved onto Arch. I must have been on that two years now and apart from one problem with one of my machines not liking a new version of hwdetect I haven't had any show stoppers. I used to have or see one every 6 months or so with gentoo.

I do have to say that I am still tempted to come back every now and then, I don't know how many apps would run better when specifically compiled for a dual core machine but I'm sure I'd get some improvements.

So, has the checking of ebuilds improved or are there still instances when whole sectors of the community will wake up to find a dead machine after a nights compilation?
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that Reply with quote

Your post simply illustrates one of the problems with Gentoo and its support:

It must be you / not a problem here / not Gentoo's fault
Bluespear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The support isn't bad at all, but for the past 3 month it is clear that updates are done less often and the main work moved to the multiple overlays which is a really bad change in my opinion (some ebuild are no longer up to date in portage and we have to look in many overlays to find something working: eclipse-sdk, iwlwifi which finally came into portage... + 2007.1 lost somewhere).
And having no news on the homepage since the 15h October is sign of problems (to any potential new gentoo user/dev).
d0wn_under
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum and wiki support on gentoo has always been amazing and even though I don't use gentoo any more I still find loads of answers in both.
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluespear wrote:
The support isn't bad at all, but for the past 3 month it is clear that updates are done less often and the main work moved to the multiple overlays which is a really bad change in my opinion (some ebuild are no longer up to date in portage and we have to look in many overlays to find something working: eclipse-sdk, iwlwifi which finally came into portage... + 2007.1 lost somewhere).
And having no news on the homepage since the 15h October is sign of problems (to any potential new gentoo user/dev).

Without the overlays you wouldn't be able to find the lastest eclipse ebuild anywhere. why? 1) entire new eclass to support it.... 2) 4-5 deps updated to use new eclass to support eclipse 3) pretty major work gone into the eclipse ebuild itself....

We have already submitted the eclass for peer review and will be adding it to the tree in the coming weeks.

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Specific problems Reply with quote

mounty1 wrote:
The specific problems with my installation currently are:
  • Sound has never worked under KDE. It works with the LiveCD. I understand that artsd is not maintained. Bizarre, for a basic component.
  • Konqueror won't show video. I did have it running flash once. Then that stopped working. Now nspluginviewer regularly crashes when closing pages.
  • The eth0 interface somehow stops working arbitrarily and it is necessary to run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart to fix it. This has been the case for about three weeks now.
  • revdep-rebuild fails because kitchensync-3.5.8 has compile errors, since osengine/engine.h doesn't exist.
  • Installing ATI driver updates is always a lottery, but it seems to be OK now with some xorg.conf tweaking. I had to mask a release recently.

For the net problems, my brother had them up to this morning. It is with a via rhine. He fixed it up by upgrading his kernel( I believe he was using 2.6.20). Maybe that'll work for you. :)

--The Prisoner
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'm using suspend2-sources-2.6.22-r2 which I think is current. Interesting that contrary to what Gerard van Vuuren (see above) says, it was in fact a kernel problem.

I'm not actually asking for fixes here because I will probably try FreeBSD soon and there are too many problems with Gentoo. I forgot to mention:
  • Klive uses some Python thing called twisted.scripts.twistd but doesn't install it.
  • Kmail is almost unworkably slow with large Imap folders, although MacOS X mail is OK with them.
  • suspend-resume is erratic and inconsistent in its behaviour.
  • Sometimes on shutdown, after /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart has been run and in turn restarted netmount, the shutdown procedure freezes at the point of /etc/init.d/netmount stop.
It's worth pointing out that I don't do low-level trickery of the portage system, just the occasional emerge -quDN world.

BTW, emerge -q is not really that q, it seems to me.
Bluespear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistair wrote:

Without the overlays you wouldn't be able to find the lastest eclipse ebuild anywhere. why? 1) entire new eclass to support it.... 2) 4-5 deps updated to use new eclass to support eclipse 3) pretty major work gone into the eclipse ebuild itself....

We have already submitted the eclass for peer review and will be adding it to the tree in the coming weeks.

My bad then :oops:
But why not publishing it into portage and making this version hard-masked (and dealing with problems through bugzilla) ? Commits are easier with overlay system ?
It sounds like im not totally up to date with gentoo organisation :D
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific problems Reply with quote

gentoofan23 wrote:
mounty1 wrote:
The specific problems with my installation currently are:
  • Sound has never worked under KDE. It works with the LiveCD. I understand that artsd is not maintained. Bizarre, for a basic component.
  • Konqueror won't show video. I did have it running flash once. Then that stopped working. Now nspluginviewer regularly crashes when closing pages.
  • The eth0 interface somehow stops working arbitrarily and it is necessary to run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart to fix it. This has been the case for about three weeks now.
  • revdep-rebuild fails because kitchensync-3.5.8 has compile errors, since osengine/engine.h doesn't exist.
  • Installing ATI driver updates is always a lottery, but it seems to be OK now with some xorg.conf tweaking. I had to mask a release recently.

For the net problems, my brother had them up to this morning. It is with a via rhine. He fixed it up by upgrading his kernel( I believe he was using 2.6.20). Maybe that'll work for you. :)

my bad, he fixed it by adding 'irqpoll' to the kernel boot options.

--The Prisoner
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: