Playing CDs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Playing CDs Reply with quote

Well have had a bit of a search around for an answer to this problem but haven't come up with anything yet. The CD is recognised in the drive and the CDDA data is pulled and track names displayed. But when clicking play the drive doesn't spin up.

Have got sound working fine in gnome and can play mp3's etc. without any problems. The CD will mount and read normal data CDs too, so that's cool. For the record I realise that to play audio CDs the cdrom device doesn't need to be mounted.

So far I've only tried using the CD player that comes bundled with Gnome, but I figure it should work and have so far refused to try another prog on general principle (a tad stubborn I know). I have a laptop here with pretty much the same set-up and that plays tracks fine, so it has to be a silly config thing somewhere, but where si the question.

Here's a cut 'n paste from dmesg:

Code:

Oct  2 01:44:22 [kernel] hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Oct  2 01:44:22 [kernel] isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
Oct  2 01:44:40 [kernel] hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Oct  2 01:44:40 [kernel] ATAPI device hdc:
Oct  2 01:44:46 [kernel] hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Oct  2 01:44:46 [kernel] ATAPI device hdc:
Oct  2 01:49:28 [kernel] Linux version 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 (root@home) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r1, propolice)) #13 Wed Oct 1 15:24:12 GMT 2003

Any thoughts, ideas would be welcome.
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still having the problem, try using a 2.6 kernel for one, and if the drive does spin up but you don't hear any audio, you may need to connect the cd-rom drive directly to your sound card with one of those little audio cables.
Crispy Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted the original message I have upgraded to a different system and am using the 2.6 kernel, playing CDs and DVDs works fine. :-)

Cheers for the reply.
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it. cool.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: