View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Qt 3.3 and Ati-drivers non compatible? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I already complained about problems in this and this threads. Refer to the first for my original problem with Qt 3.3.

Not being able to fix, I opted for a reinstall. However, after correctly installing Xfree, that was working fine, I decided to install the ati-drivers for my Radeon 8500. Qt is a dependency of theirs. After installing qt 3.3 and ati-drivers 3.2.8, xfree was borked again, exactly as before, even if not using the ati-specific XF86Config-4; a successive downgrade to qt 3.2 did not solve the problems.

I will check tomorrow whether installing qt 3.2 and then ati-drivers still works. However, I think that Qt 3.3 is too immature to be marked stable. Someone please file a bug report, as my Bugzilla account is fixed on the IP of the machine that is down now...

I would also suggest a block on qt 3.3 for ati-drivers ebuilds, if others experience this problem.

Cheers,
-Federico
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after installing qt, xfree still works fine, the problem comes with ati-drivers. I don't know now whether this is a hardware problem, however it occurred on a radeon 8500.

Using ati-drivers 3.7.0 seems to fix things, because it crashes for some reason and there is a fallback to standard vga, that this time ain't broken.

Uninstalling ati-drivers seemingly leaves things broken, and Xfree is unusable again.

I really wonder what the hell happened...
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I can't be of much help. I can say that I'm running on a Radeon 9700Pro using the 3.7.0 ATi drivers along with qt3.3 and it seems to be fine. I will say that I haven't re-compiled the ATi Drivers since qt was upgraded. I can try that when I get home later tonight. Also, I don't use the drivers in portage. This is one of the only things I actually do myself :) mostly because when I first started messing with gentoo the process of getting the portage version working was far more involved than getting ATi's to work properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: