Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
One genkernal is OK, second and beyond locks up system!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouTheBlueGuru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: One genkernal is OK, second and beyond locks up system! Reply with quote

I did a search on not booting and its a nightmare of too many problems but not quite what I need. I decided to test the 2.6.2-gentoo kernel and tried a manual compile first with no success. So I then did a genkernel-beta9 compile. Almost complete success. Everything worked with a little tinkering *but* there was no parallel port and therefore no cups printing. So I first tried to just recompile the kernel with genkernel before tinkering with the config file. This seems to have been a big mistake. Now when I boot from my lilo floppy disk, I get a loading gentoo message and a bunch of dots, and then the system freezes! Note it was booting perfectly before the recompile. I have /boot mounted and the new kernel-2.6.2-gentoo file and initrd-2.6.2-gentoo file are in the boot partition. The compile has *no* errors. It all looks fine. I still have my 2.4.2 kernel, so I'm still up and running with no problem. Anyone have an idea of whats wrong here?

For those working with computers that haven’t figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make sure to rerun /sbin/lilo after changing the kernel ?
LouTheBlueGuru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it, but that almost did it!!! Why, I don't know? I still don't have a parallel port, event though I edited the config file so it should.

Thanks!

For those working with computers that haven’t figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism
LouTheBlueGuru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would apreciate a tip on how to edit my config file to get a parallel port to work!

TIA

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: