Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Booting problem with grub - help needing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joker

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Booting problem with grub - help needing Reply with quote

I have 3HD, the first two are scsi and the third is an IDE
On the first HD (the one that boot) there is Windows XP installed on a primary partition.
On the second HD (extended partion) I got my programs
on the third HD (IDE) I installed Gentoo like:

/dev/hda1 boot (primary partion)
/dev/hda5 root (extended/logical partion)
/dev/hda6 swap (extended/logical partion)

after I installed grub at reboot, grub stand not there, Windows XP started withouth carring on grub, surely I did something wrong in the menu.lst (I never used grub before).
Anyone could help me, telling me the correct setting I should put to make grub booting correctly and let me choose the OS I want to run?
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Booting problem with grub - help needing Reply with quote

Hi,

I think, maybe you installed grub at the Master Boot Record on hda, which is the third disk.

Right?

If so the problem is, that the BIOS never reads hda's mbr, because it is set to start the first scsi disk.

There are at least to ways to go around this problem:

The first is to set grub correctly at hda, supoprting Windows XP on the scsi disk, and then setting the BIOS to start the IDE disks first. This way grub will start, and you'll be given the choice to start WinXP or gentoo.

The second, is to install the grub at the first scsi disk's mbr. Which is imho, a bit risky. I would go by the first option. Because you will have at least WinXP working, by setting the BIOS to boot the scsi device.

I can't give you any tecnical advice, because I'm new to GRUB. So I can only wish you good luck.

PT_LAmb
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: