building for k6-2 on an athlon-xp?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscopy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: building for k6-2 on an athlon-xp? Reply with quote

So, my friend is finally fed up with windows and wants to convert. He wants to try gentoo, but he doesn't have the right kinda of patience/linux knowledge for it, and things don't really want to build correctly on his computer. So, I wanted to try to make a system for him on my computer (build base system with -i586 and the rest with -k6-2). Anyway, he's running a k6-2 (a compaq) and I was wondering a few things...
1) Is it possible to build his system (binary packages and the like) for his computer on my nice fast computer???
2) Are there downloadable k6-2 live-cds?? (I may or may not go that route regardless)
3) If I build the base system (bootstrap, system and kernel) on my computer with -march=i586 will they still run fine on my computer???
4) If I then switch to CFLAGS="-march=k6-2", for all additional packages, will that work alright from my ahtlon-xp box?
5) Can I just do this in a subdirectory on my computer and not on its own filesystem?

I'm pretty sure you get where I'm going here... so if anyone can tell me (hopefully someone has tried this) if it works, and what I need to watch out for that would be great. I've already made myself familiar with the actually creation of the live CDs, I just need to know if building the binary packages with 'emerge -Ub' will work correctly and run on his computer (despite its downfalls). Any help is appreciated.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: building for k6-2 on an athlon-xp? Reply with quote

oscopy wrote:
So, my friend is finally fed up with windows and wants to convert. He wants to try gentoo, but he doesn't have the right kinda of patience/linux knowledge for it, and things don't really want to build correctly on his computer.

Some explanation here might help...

oscopy wrote:
So, I wanted to try to make a system for him on my computer (build base system with -i586 and the rest with -k6-2).

Could do, but as I understand it there are some issues with the K6 chips.
You might want to stick to i586 until you know it works.

oscopy wrote:
Anyway, he's running a k6-2 (a compaq) and I was wondering a few things...
1) Is it possible to build his system (binary packages and the like) for his computer on my nice fast computer???

Of course!

oscopy wrote:
2) Are there downloadable k6-2 live-cds?? (I may or may not go that route regardless)

Look at one of the FTP mirrors - all will be revealed.

oscopy wrote:
3) If I build the base system (bootstrap, system and kernel) on my computer with -march=i586 will they still run fine on my computer???

Of course; your Athlon XP is an i686+, so it will run all i586 (Pentium) code just fine.

oscopy wrote:
4) If I then switch to CFLAGS="-march=k6-2", for all additional packages, will that work alright from my ahtlon-xp box?

Well, as I said above, the various K6 arch settings have been known to lead to problems, and you will simply not get any kind of performance increase from it.
The best the K6-2 supports is MMX, it doesn't have SSE yet, and that chip's 3dnow! is not the same as in the K6-3 or K6-3D or Athlon chips.
So just keep the mcpu at i586 and don't set the march at all - this guarantees that it will at least run on a K6.
Run first, optimize later...

oscopy wrote:
5) Can I just do this in a subdirectory on my computer and not on its own filesystem?

Of course - just follow the Gentoo Handbook and replace the "/mnt/gentoo" stanza with your own subdirectory.
Since you'll be building all binary packages this will just be a directory, not a mountpoint.

oscopy wrote:
I'm pretty sure you get where I'm going here... so if anyone can tell me (hopefully someone has tried this) if it works, and what I need to watch out for that would be great. I've already made myself familiar with the actually creation of the live CDs, I just need to know if building the binary packages with 'emerge -Ub' will work correctly and run on his computer (despite its downfalls). Any help is appreciated.

No reason it shouldn't work - how do you think the Gentoo developers make those LiveCDs ?
Definitely not by running it natively on each and every arch that's supported...
oscopy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch.

I figured that'd all be alright, but it's good to not feel guilty with -mcpu=i586, and not have to worry about any other issues that I was afraid of.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why feel guilty ?
Both my servers run plain Debian, and the only thing on them that;s explicitly for i686 is the kernel - which accounts for about 50% of all code run at any time anyway.
You can indeed optimize everything with gentoo, but apart from gcc (which might run faster) and glibc (which might run better) only the kernel will really make a big difference.

Oh and butters is a NARC! ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: