Another Boot Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Another Boot Problem Reply with quote

Dear people,

I read almost everything about the grub and boot problems here but was not able to solve the damn block device or root not present error. First of all some info:

fstab: /dev/hda1 /root ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
/dev/hda4 none swap sw 0 0
none /proc proc defaults

grub.conf

<---snip
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.1 root=/dev/hda3
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.1
--> snip

when I boot:
Determining root device
Root block device unspecified or not detected

the system halts and says I should type where it can be found or shell for shell

strange: if I type /dev/hda1 (the /boot part) the system boots and I can get into it. But no /boot is mounted. I can mount i manually and edit my grub.conf etc... My var and other / mountpoint files are there.

I dont know what to do. I tried everything. Sitting in front of the damn computer for two days now.

PS: Kernel compiled with new genkernel, 2.6.1 version, initrd and kernel are in boot dir...

Help would be highly appreciated.

David
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Boot Problem Reply with quote

Chibikun wrote:

i hope that's a "/boot" in your fstab...

Quote:
Root block device unspecified or not detected

the system halts and says I should type where it can be found or shell for shell

strange: if I type /dev/hda1 (the /boot part) the system boots and I can get into it.

that's correct. grub is talking about the root of your grub-installation. that's another "root" than the one of your linux. this is really confusing, i only understood it after 2 years.

Quote:
But no /boot is mounted. I can mount i manually and edit my grub.conf etc... My var and other / mountpoint files are there.

that's ok, too. that's the meaning of the word "noauto" in your fstab.

since the error occurs before grub can really start your problem shouldn't be kernel-related. unfortunately your grub.conf looks good. the only thing i can think of is setting the bootable-flag at hda1. but i suppose you already did that...?
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another Boot Problem Reply with quote

Chibikun wrote:

this should be /boot not /root
make sure hda1 is mounted before you copy your kernel etc to /boot (it is not mounted automatically at boot.

I suggest you check what you have in /boot and /root before mounting hda1 with
mount /dev/hda1 /boot
When you mount a partition any directories or files in the file-tree below that mount point (ie /boot) will be 'covered up' by the new mounted partion. That is the files are still there (on hda3) but invisible as with hda1 mounted at /boot you are looking at the contents of hda1.
So ls -al /boot before and after mounting hda1 and see if there is a difference. If you have set things up correctly then there should be nothing at /boot unless hda1 is mounted.
Chibikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasmagunman:

Quote:
Chibikun wrote:
Code:

i hope that's a "/boot" in your fstab...

thanks for the immediate help. yes it was a typo in the forum. it is /boot in fstab also the noauto flag lost its mystery after reading the whole night. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
So ls -al /boot before and after mounting hda1 and see if there is a difference. If you have set things up correctly then there should be nothing at /boot unless hda1 is mounted.

Thanks also. Did it but it was correct in my opinion. before mounting /boot is empty. After mounting hda1 to /boot everything is inside (eg. Grub dir and kernel and initrd files.) Also I checked another 100 times my kernel config. Everything necessary is inside that. I will try to compile the kernel without genkernel today and post what happend.

Thanks you both. If you have further ideas let me know please.

David
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only other suggestion is to redo the setting up grub section of the install guide. Have you set up grub on the MBR that is (hd0) or on the hda1 partition (hd0,0) ? It should be on the MBR
Code:

grub> root (hd0,0)
(Your boot partition)
Code:
grub> setup (hd0)
(Where the boot record is installed; here, it is the MBR)
Chibikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I did that also three times now and got kinda fed up with that. As I posted earlier I compiled the kernel manually not using genkernel and everything worked great. Got everything up and running :D . I suppose that genkernel has problems with whatever as stated in some posts already.

Thnks anyway for your help.

David
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's working now. I've never used genkernel myself; I chose Gentoo because it let me install things as I wanted without having to guard against things being done behind my back (I do too much of that dealing with the Windows lusers at work). I rather worry that Gentoo is becomming too complicated. Its not enough to say that the manual mode is there for people who want it, it really required a commitment to doing things with -- and only with -- full understanding of what is going on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: