Can't Booting from LiveCD after Stage 2 Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becksmak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Can't Booting from LiveCD after Stage 2 Install Reply with quote

Hi All,
This has been a real trip the last week trying to get Gentoo running. I'm using VMWare 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro Alienware Laptop.

I'll skip the litany of errors and problems I encountered despite carefull reading. In any event I dropped back and decided to start from Stage 2 and re-build. I started with creating a new VMWare Virtual Machine with the hard disk set to IDE mode. I then started the machine with the LiveCD in the drive and it boots perfectly. I went on to eventually to build stage 2, installed the gentoo-sources, manually configured the kernel, compiled the kernel, copied to the mounted boot folder, configured FSTAB, setup GRUB, and successfully rebooted into my new gentoo installation complete with a recognized network connection. WHich for me was no small achievement.

However, even if i leave the LiveCD in the cd drive it will not boot it up when I reboot? I want to be able to have the option to boot from the LiveCD bputting it into the drive. Or, ideally I'd love a second entry in the grub file to choose the option to boot the LiveCD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

This is my first post but I have been reading these forums for the last week to slowly gain more knowledge on getting through this dificult process. I appreciate all the effort that people are putting in the helping each other out.

Next Up is ATI Drive and Gnome or KDE setup and configuration. Please say a small voddo incantation to help me on my way :evil:

Beckstab
flonejek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can change the vmware emulated bios settings when it boots, by pressing delete or F2, (not sure which. anyway once you're in the bios there should be an option someware allowing you to set it to try and boot of the cddrive before the hardisk. After that just reboot in vmware and that sould be it :)

[edit]its always handy to have fortune there for when things screw up you got its words of wisdom :roll:. I also would reccomend gnome over kde, tho kde has some great packages like k3b. and if you find running them slow theres heaps of other window managers that are smaller and userfriendly like 'xfce4' which is an excellent tradeoff between size and usability for beginners.

and setting them up should be as easy as pie with "emerge" :twisted:
120GB WD, 40GB ipod
Lite-On 48x24x48 CDR/RW, MSI 16xDVD
Iomega Zip 250, 1.4" floppy drive
Logitech Cordless MX Duo :)
becksmak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Flonejek! Reply with quote

Bingo! That did the trick! I kept seeing the F2 prompt when VMWare was booting but pressing F2 didn't seem to do anything......Thats because I needed activate the keyboard/mouse in VMWare by clicking in it first and then pressing F2........ :D

Thanks

How's the weather in Perth? It's cold as hell in Boston, MA :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: