Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to stop that awful "virtual desktop"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris-P
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: How to stop that awful "virtual desktop"? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Is there any way to stop X using a virtual desktop larger than my physical display - but still keep resolutions higher than my chosen default? I wish to run at 1024x768 - although my monitor can display higher, it's only 17" and therefore not comfortable for long periods.

However, sometimes I may wish to use one of the higher resolutions and the problem is X creates a virtual desktop to match my monitor's highest res. And the "scrolling edge" 1024x768 really annoys me! :wink:

So is there any way to keep all my monitor resolutions, but have no edge scrolling in any of them?

I've tried Virtual 1024 768, but then I can no longer select resolutions higher than this - and all resolutions below still have that annoying virtual desktop edge-scroll to match 1024x768. :roll:

I have yet to install a WM over X. Would doing so provide functions to solve this, or is there a way at X level. I'm thinking of either Fluxbox or Enlightenment as my WM.

Chris.
pinr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is any help as you say you want to use fluxbox, but in KDE 3.2 you can change the resolutions without the virtual screen. The option is in the KDE control panel Peripherals > screen
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop that awful "virtual desktop"? Reply with quote

Comment out all the Virtual entries in XF86Config. That did it for me.

Chris-P wrote:

I have yet to install a WM over X. Would doing so provide functions to solve this, or is there a way at X level. I'm thinking of either Fluxbox or Enlightenment as my WM.

No, this is specific to X.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use xrandr. Or if you prefer a graphical tool Gnome and KDE both have xrandr capplets.
Chris-P
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks.

I tried commenting out the Virtual lines, but that didn't work. So then I tried xrandr. That works well, and I can now force a res. change without the annoying scrolling! :D

These forums amaze me, the amazing thing is finding out things like xrandr exist - I think even if I'd read the man pages for X 100 times I still wouldn't have discovered it! :roll:

Chris.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: