Newby on how to install logitech mouse and keyboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldstar1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Newby on how to install logitech mouse and keyboard Reply with quote

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and the receiver plugs into a usb port. Ive installed both 2.4.24 and 2.6.1 kernels for athelon and have not been able to get the keyboard and mouse to work.

At one point i even checked all the [ * ] in the kernel menuconfig including all the Hid stuff and OCHI and ECHI and all the other things that end in "HI" along with every usb support and still no keyboard and mouse.

Ive seen others in this forum that seem to have the same keyboard and mouse and thiers are working.

On my second hard drive, i have SuSE Linux installed and it has no problem with it.

The Gentoo startup disk finds the mouse, its name and its location (/dev/input/mice) and uses the keyboard, but when i reboot...BAM! keyboard and mouse are not there. Not even /dev/input/mouse.

Ive come to the conclusion that the keyboard and mouse are there someplace , only i dont know how to activate them or even where to look.

I have been trying to install Gentoo now for 4 weeks! and as far as i was able to get was having kde without a mouse. I havent got a clue on why my keyboard was working at that time. That was my third install with vanilla-sources.
Thinking Ive messed something up, i reinstalled to the 2.6.1 kernel and it was then the keyboard disappeared and never returned. After a week or so of trying newsgroups,irc,and reading gobs of stuff here, i thought id better go back to the 2.4.24 kernel again. at least the keyboard would work, but no... and I started from scratch, ie repartitioned etc.

Ok. Im willing to start from scratch. Can someone please tell me what to do to get both my keyboard and mouse to work in the 2.6.1 kernel starting all over again?

Thanx guys
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd strongly suggest to go with the 2.4.x kernel for now - it's been stable a long time and it just works (and it's what I know, too;-))

To use a USB keyboard you have to enable "input core support" in the kernel - you can't just load a module for it.
Also enable "HID support" - the keyboard is a HID (Human Interface Device).

Next, build as modules everything there is to enable for USB support - no drivers, just the support!
That's OHCI (Intel USB), UHCI (VIA and others), the alternate UHCI, and EHCI (USB 2.0).

Unless, of course, you know what you actually have - then you just enable that.

Last, enable USB mouse support (also under "input core", and a bit under "mouse" - yes, it's confusing!) and be sure to enable both "DevFS" and "USBFS" support!

Build the kernel, and all you need to do on startup is
Code:
modprobe usbmouse

or maybe
Code:
modprobe mousedev

The keyboard should be autodetected.

With all that you've supposedly read, you apparently did not read the things that would have told you this - parts are in the Install Handbook, parts are in the Desktop Guide, and some parts can be gathered from the DevFS and USBFS documentation.
I agree that there is not one single document that explains all of this - alas. :(

If you boot up the LiveCD and do
Code:
lsmod

when both mouse and keyboard are working, the resulting information will go a long way toward your understanding of what you need to include with your kernel build.
corefile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwash. The 2.6 kernel is not beta, that was 2.5 series, it is a released stable kernel. I don't understand why people keep talking as if is in beta. I can see if it was a mission critical server. But if its not, there is no reason not to go with the 2.6 kernel
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corefile wrote:
Hogwash. The 2.6 kernel is not beta,

I did not say it was.
Learn to read.
corefile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are correct you didn't say that it was beta, and i was overly grumpy when I responded, sorry about that :oops:

However you did say

Quote:
I'd strongly suggest to go with the 2.4.x kernel for now - it's been stable a long time and it just works

That sounded to me as if you were suggesting that the 2.6 kernel is not stable.And it is. Again sorry, this was just like the 100th posting that I have read that someone has said that and it has no baisis. I'm sure Linus would disagree with you. I think that he would say the the 2.6 kernel "just works" as would the thousonds of us that have been using it.

So just for the record, go ahead people, use the 2.6 kernel cause "it just works"

Maybe we should use that for the slogan, "Use 2.6 it just works"

Anyway this has nothing to do with you, don't take it personal, and I'm working on the how to read part.
[/quote]
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That same line contains the actual reason for my recommendation: I use the 2.4 kernel.
I did not presume anything else - I think you read that into it.
corefile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News alert!!! Everyone use kernel 2.0.44 cause "it just works" and I'm used to it. ugggg how pathetic
Piratetrader
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys took this whole topic of beat. The guy asked for help not who thinks what is the best. Also not all of us do things the same and I don't believe any of us say we know all. So now lets help him.

I've installed just about everything and atleast twice each and no mater what you do all is different so you need to pick some thing specific and stick to it tell it works on your system. All your answers are here and in the docs it just takes some time to learn what works and what does not.

So I would say start with the live cd set and install with the docs and use genkernel for your first kernel. PS dont use the 3.01 beta use the 1.8 on the live cd set. Then figure out what you need as far as hardware modules and make sure they are installed.

By the way you can modify a kernel after you use genkernel. Use gentoo-sorces to start with. Once you get a system working then you can look at your lsmod and see what is running and then rebuild what ever you what and you will know what your system requires.

Pirate

PS put some more details here and we will try to help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: