Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can I duplicate the Live-CD console LINES & COLUMNS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddlehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: How can I duplicate the Live-CD console LINES & COLUMNS? Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest how to change the console LINES and COLUMNS from the default 24 by 80 (respectively) to 48 by 128?? When installing Gentoo 1.4 (booting from CD 1), the console is 48 by 128 ... I can't seem to figure out how to duplicate that on my permanent install.

All of my searches yield results pertaining to SSH, etc. ... I'm looking to configure the basic console. Is that something that needs to be (re)compiled into the kernel?? Any help/advice would be appreciated!!!
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be misunderstanding but do you mean the framebuffer?

try searching for that and see if thats what you want
paddlehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem trivial, but it really bugs me to boot the system system (no X-windows yet) and have my vc consoles be such large fonts and very few lines ... I feel like I'm in the Larry King studio with the camera 4 inches from my face!! When I boot on the Live CD I get "set" variables of LINES and COLUMNS to be 48 by 128 ... the fonts are nice and small and there's lots of room for text with 'ls' commands, etc. Once Gentoo is installed I login and get "set" variables of 24 by 80. It obviously doesn't do any good to try and choose a smaller font ... what needs to change is the number of LINES and COLUMNS in my "environment".

I must admit during the install I skipped over the framebuffer because there was no apparent need to give it attention. It seems like something for the video drivers of X-windows ... I will folllow the Installation instructions by adding vga=xxx to the GRUB config fiile ... see what effect that has. I compiled with the generic "genkernel" ... so don't think I need to re-install anything.

Thank you for your time ... will post results!!!
paddlehead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: BINGO!! Reply with quote

Yes sir, apparently framebuffers is the issue. Setting it to a 1024x768 (vga=773) gave me the breathing room I'm looking for ... fonts are nice and small. Thank you for the tip ... I appreciate your time!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: