Anything better than Pan?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattd2173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Anything better than Pan? Reply with quote

Is there any program that works better than pan? I mostly do binary groups, so knode and the thunderbird news client are out of the question. Pan seems to get bogged down with large groups such as a.b.dvd, .dvdr, etc. *When* it does work, it takes about 45 minutes to sort/load/update headers. But most of the time I get errors like

Code:
Out of Memory: Killed process 6745 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6744 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6746 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6747 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6748 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6749 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6750 (pan).
Out of Memory: Killed process 6751 (pan).

I current have a gig of ram and my swap is also a gig, so there should be plenty of memory available for it.
Currently, pan is working fine and I have the .dvd group loaded in my header pane and its only using about 80 megs. I've tried using wine + some windows usenet apps such as GrabIt and NewsLeecher, but KDE just crashes, my monitor turns off, and I have to do a hard reboot to get it back on, which leads to the resetting of my KDE settings.

Matt
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd.

I only have 512mb of ram (no swap) and I've never had a problem with memory in Pan.
I don't really use Pan to download; I prefer looking at headers/posts and do the actual downloading using a commandline regexp leecher called nget. It has built in par1 & 2 support (if your "get scope," so to speak also picks up the PAR files.. it will only download the par files it needs to recover). Pretty nifty program overall.

And for posting, I use newspost.

As far as GUI based usenet clients go, Pan is about as good as it gets.
dabtech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take a look at BNR2 (http://www.bnr2.org). The is a closed source free program that is developed using Kylix and links against an old version of QT, so the interface is not very pretty (no antialiasing, does not pick up QT3 themes). But I find it pretty functional in dealing with binary groups, especially the large ones with a > 1,000,000 headers. The multiserver support is excellent in this app also.
Szplug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Pan 0.14.2 Reply with quote

I don't know if it'll fix your problem but, there is a later pan in portage. I don't know why it isn't the official one, it's all-around better than 0.14.0.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: