Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PRINTER: What do you recommend for Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: PRINTER: What do you recommend for Gentoo? Reply with quote

One of the largest problems I've always had with Linux is trying to get printers to work with Linux. I eventually just gave up and always used windoze for printing.

Anyways, can you post some recommended printers that I could use with Linux? I'm looking for something that's really easy to set up, and works as well as Gentoo does. I'm looking to get a network/laser printer if possible, but post anything and everything that you would personally, highly recommend based on your experience with the printer alone.

Thanks for your help!
La`res
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem odvious but give http://www.linuxprinting.org/ a try.

I have a Brother HL-5040 Laser Printer and It works quite well with Cups, as long as you enable "ppd" in your USE flags.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Epson Stylus C84 that works beautifully using the gimp-print-ijs drivers for the C82. I have only the highest praise for this printer.
AeroScarr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use a HP 5550 deskjet in Gentoo over my laptop's parallel port. It works beautifully and was really easy to setup with the docs here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

Unfortunately, it's not a network printer or a laser printer. So now that I think about it, this post is pretty meaningless to you. I can say from experience though that HP printers are quite well supported in Linux. All the ones I've set up (deskjets) have been relatively painless.
skarecrow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an HP PSC 750. The generic deskjet drivers work beautifully with it. I have gotten it to work both over the local network (shared on a win box) and also via direct parallel connection. No problems what-so-ever. Now if only i could get the scan feature to work...
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PRINTER: What do you recommend for Gentoo? Reply with quote

fuzion wrote:
One of the largest problems I've always had with Linux is trying to get printers to work with Linux. I eventually just gave up and always used windoze for printing.

Anyways, can you post some recommended printers that I could use with Linux? I'm looking for something that's really easy to set up, and works as well as Gentoo does. I'm looking to get a network/laser printer if possible, but post anything and everything that you would personally, highly recommend based on your experience with the printer alone.

Thanks for your help!

at home my dad has an epson EPLN1600 network laser printer. setup was pretty simple just plug it into the network and give it an ip address, as for using it with cups thats easy too just tell it the ip and it will print to it fine. the only confusing thing is that when you add it you must use the hp-jetdirect option not ipp or anything
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AeroScarr wrote:
Well, I use a HP 5550 deskjet in Gentoo over my laptop's parallel port. It works beautifully and was really easy to setup with the docs here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

I've got my HP 5550 hooked up via USB as a network printer via CUPS for my home LAN. (all Linux). I'm very happy with it.
AeroScarr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemming wrote:

I've got my HP 5550 hooked up via USB as a network printer via CUPS for my home LAN. (all Linux). I'm very happy with it.

You know, I completely forgot that it could take a USB connection. The cable must be a seperate purchase though (or I lost mine somehow) because it's not in the box. Then again, even if I had the right cable I'd probably still keep using it over the parallel port.
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a HP3822 which is exactly the same as a HP3820 but sold by Dixons Group. I suspect the different serial number is just to avoid a price match!

Anyway it works fine in Linux, I have three "printers" set up, which I call Basic_300x300, Best_600x600 and Photo_1200x1200. Of course they are all the same printer at different qualitites, something that Windoze would not let me do!
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AeroScarr wrote:
lemming wrote:

You know, I completely forgot that it could take a USB connection. The cable must be a seperate purchase though (or I lost mine somehow) because it's not in the box. Then again, even if I had the right cable I'd probably still keep using it over the parallel port.

Its separate and pretty expensive
La`res
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
Its separate and pretty expensive

It seems that USB cable is more expensive the Networking Cable. I love and Hate USB.
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lexmark z53. It works like a charm, prints beautifully. Lexmark even offers propriatary drivers off their website for those of you that dislike gimp-print.
Registered Linux User #263260
propheci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a HP 940C hooked up via USB. works perfectly.

on the subject of printers, does anyone know of a cheap auto-duplex (ie, double-sided) printer? i really want one but the cheapest ones i've seen are a couple grand and huge.
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roguelazer wrote:
I have a lexmark z53. It works like a charm, prints beautifully. Lexmark even offers propriatary drivers off their website for those of you that dislike gimp-print.

I used to have a Lexmark z54. It was a new model, not listed on any of the sites I went to, and I was just starting Linux. Well I found that the z53 worked with Linux, and the z55 worked with Linux, so I foolishly assumed the z54 would as well.

Still it decided to b0rk itself, so I took it back and part-exchanged it for the HP3822!
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: LaserJet 1200 Reply with quote

I have a HP LaserJet 1200, a cool fast and high quality b/w laser printer. There is very good support and it has a build-in PostScript interpreter (not so fast), so this Printer will work on every plattform you will go in the future.
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old Canon BJC-4000 working great. It came from my mom's Packard Bell that she gave to me :oops:
DecoR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Brother HL-5040 (working nice in Linux and generaly a good printer)

Think I'll buy it next week :)

Henrik.
franoculator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
I use an Epson Stylus C84 that works beautifully using the gimp-print-ijs drivers for the C82. I have only the highest praise for this printer.

I bought a cheap Epson C64, and it prints nicely, however it is very slow. I am talking 1 page per 2 minutes. And I am using the same print driver as you are...well, for the C62 anyway.

Does yours print anywhere near that slow?
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HP2110 prints and scans flawlessly.
Smoothhound
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another one of HP deskjet range - the 5150 (over USB). And I must say I'm extremely impressed. It's drivers are superb and even hi-res photos come out beautifully.

8)
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had trouble from inkjet printers. My last one died after about a year, with a paper jam that would never go away. I even took it apart and found the sensor, which wasn't stuck :-?

Anyways, I replaced it with a Kyocera-Mita FS-1010. It's a bit expensive, but has a lower operating cost over time than many other laser printers, due to the permanent drum. It speaks postscript natively, so linux support is no problem at all, and it's worked beautifully since I got it. It'll probably be ages until I have to replace the "sample" toner cartridge that came with it, considering how often I print.
georwell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleLaserWriter IIg. The thing is a tank and pretty much indestructible. Have to use appletalk to send jobs to it though. Works great with cups and samba.
mrblade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Brother HL-1450 Printer and it works really well, but the most important thing is my HP JetDirect EX Plus (Remote Printerport).
It is sort of a printerserver, but without the spooling and memory.
It basicly just works like a remove LPT printerport, that you access via TCP/IP.
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just echoing everyone is saying that the HP 5550 works great. It's connecting through USB. Black text is crisp and color looks great! You can even by a special photo ink for it (taking the place of the black ink). With or without the photo ink, the 5550 can print borderless 4x6 and 8x10 prints that are nearly indistinguishable from 35mm prints.

Scott

Kernel: 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0
KDE 3.3.2 with Xorg
MythBox: 2.6.5-gentoo-dev-r2 (LVMed 360GB in XFS; Athlon 2500+)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: