Modprobe Error using Hotplug
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Modprobe Error using Hotplug Reply with quote

Sorry for what is probably an easy answer but I couldn't find anything in the posts on my problem.

Here it is: I've compiled my own 2.4 kernel and am using hotplug to insert modules automatically. Everything works great... when I log in as root. When I log in as my everyday user I get modprobe errors up the you know what. Obviosly my problem is with permissions. The problem I have is that I have no idea what files, folders, etc I need to change. What I want to do is set the permissions so that anyone in the wheel group can get modules inserted correctly.

Just some additionaly FYI that's probably not needed: I only have 1 user besides root, I used the GRP install because I don't have internet access (yet), and, again, I get NO errors when I log in as root.

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Catach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting: i didn't think permissions came into module loading, as they should all be compiled with read access when you compile your kernel. To answer your question all modules are in /lib/modules/${VERSION}, seperated amoungst the sub directories there according to what type of modules they are. Try turning on module autoloading in your kernel if you haven't already and post the exact output of all "modprobe <module>" to see what error is being returned.
Jon G: "And they're all turtles."
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestiong. I'll try that later today. Also, here's another wierd part I just realized. Not all modules are causing errors. For example, I compiled my soundcard support as a module, and it works fine. I also have an NVIDIA card and the nvdidia.o module loads fine.

It's really wierd because, when I log in as root, I get no errors whatsoever. When I log in as my everday user, I get a whole bunch of "modprobe could not find ..." errors. Does anyone know how to check a log for hotplug (where it logs or if it has it's own log). The reason is that I don't get the errors until I log in and the errors appear before I have a command line to redirect the output.
Catach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
Thanks for the suggestiong. I'll try that later today. Also, here's another wierd part I just realized. Not all modules are causing errors. For example, I compiled my soundcard support as a module, and it works fine. I also have an NVIDIA card and the nvdidia.o module loads fine.

You'll need to tell exactly what modules are not loading and the error message from 'insmod <module_name>' from the command prompt.

Sephiroth wrote:
It's really wierd because, when I log in as root, I get no errors whatsoever. When I log in as my everday user, I get a whole bunch of "modprobe could not find ..." errors. Does anyone know how to check a log for hotplug (where it logs or if it has it's own log). The reason is that I don't get the errors until I log in and the errors appear before I have a command line to redirect the output.

I don't use hotplug, (i dont like waiting the 10 seconds for it to load up on boot :)). I just append the names of the modules i want to load into the '/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-${KERNELVERSION}' file. Is 'module auto loading' turned on in your kernel?
Jon G: "And they're all turtles."
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it was the first thing I checked when I compiled my kernel. Also, I paid extra special attention to the error messages this time. Every single one of them mentioned the /dev directory or a subdirectory of /dev.

Anyway, I have to wipe my whole hard drive and reinstall everything this weekend anyway (I'm getting internet access after a year of not having it :lol: so I have to do a system restore to put the legal version of XP back on for the wife and I'm going to do a stage 1 install instead of GRP) so I think I'll start loading all my modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-${KERNELVERSION} since it sounds like it might be a better solution for me. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh joy. Well, I decided not to use hotplug anymore. I removed the daemon from the default runlevel, put every module that I had compiled in the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 and rebooted. THE SAME THING HAPPENED. I log in as root, no problems. I log in as my user, and get a bunch of "modprobe cannot find /dev..." errors. All of the errors relate to /dev or a subdirectory. Again, my soundcard modules, video modules, network card modules, etc. still work. I'm using supermount right now so I think I'm going to remove that from my kernel and and see if that's causing the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: