View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranthog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but the programmer within me just cringed.

That does add quite a bit over overhead into the system, though.
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but this and a few other recent issues are making me start to believe that the GPL is not a good license.

Its restrictions on linking to code that is free but doesn't quite agree with it philosophically have caused plenty of unnecessary grief in the OSS/FS community.

The new XFree license is, for example, not inherently bad. They have the right to ask for acknowledgement, and it doesn't mean that X is now non-Free. But because of the "viral" nature of the GPL (and, honestly, that term is rather accurate), the whole thing explodes.

I think I'm going to endorse the LGPL as the Best Open Source License (TM). It still protects the code itself but doesn't impose ultra-anal restrictions on what it can be linked to.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, we need to break down the XFree86 license and examine it carefully:

Quote:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.
This is pretty straight forward. If I redistribute the source code then I can't remove their (XFree's) copyright notice or disclaimer.

Quote:
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution, and in the same place and form as other copyright, license and disclaimer information.
I'm going to assume that the XFree86 documentation already has the mentioned copyright notices. So I'm still okay to distribute it.

Quote:
3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by The XFree86 Project, Inc (http://www.xfree86.org/) and its contributors", in the same place and form as other third-party acknowledgments. Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself, in the same form and location as other such third-party acknowledgments.
Okay, I guess I'll need to put that acknowledgement in my distribution's (IvanHoe Linux) readme file.

Well, that was all the differences from the original XFree86 license. I personally didn't see anything in there that said I had to include a notice inside my GPL'd software or alter my software in any way to comply with the XFree86 license. Also, if I had any decency whatsoever, I would've already listed XFree86 and all the other software included in my distribution in my readme file (or contributions_readme file).
skimitar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodermk wrote:
Hate to say it, but this and a few other recent issues are making me start to believe that the GPL is not a good license.

Its restrictions on linking to code that is free but doesn't quite agree with it philosophically have caused plenty of unnecessary grief in the OSS/FS community.

The new XFree license is, for example, not inherently bad. They have the right to ask for acknowledgement..

There's nothing in the GPL that prohibits acknowlegement. Hell, cover your program in copyright notices if you wish :wink:

The GPL is like most other licenses - yes you can use my code, but you have to give me something in return. Rather than it being wads of cash or your firstborn child, the GPL requires that you give me your code and abide by the GPL license yourself for derivative works. Your call whether to use my code or write your own or use some under some other license.

But, most distros prefer to use open source software licensed under the GPL and would like to keep it that way.

I suspect that this is seen as the "thin end of the wedge". If we release a distro that is no longer GPL compliant, and if we aren't careful about the license we release it under, someone could take my open source code and add their own license to it. Potentially, even a license that restricts the release of the source code.

I'm normally not a fan of the 'slippery slope' argument, but the GPL for all it's flaws guarantees the availability of source code and hence innovation, security and all the Good Things (tm) we have become accustomed to.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=skimitar]There's nothing in the GPL that prohibits acknowlegement. Hell, cover your program in copyright notices if you wish [/quote]

But there is something in the GPL which says another person can't place extra restrictions on your GPLed code. And to follow the XFree86 license would mean having to add this extra credit as a requirement for distribution, which is prohibited by the GPL.

[quote=Ranthog]That does add quite a bit over overhead into the system, though.[/quote]

Naturally. And yet we see exactly this sort of thing all the time. Hint: DCOP.
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skimitar wrote:

I'm normally not a fan of the 'slippery slope' argument, but the GPL for all it's flaws guarantees the availability of source code and hence innovation, security and all the Good Things (tm) we have become accustomed to.

This sums up how I feel exactly.

I for one will NOT be using the new Xfree, unless the dev team see's the light and returns to the beloved GPL.

I use Linux because it is open source and covered under the GPL, because of the philosophy behind it. If Xfree86 (remaining) team is going to forsake that, I no longer have any reason to use their software (not that I didn't like it).

It's all about the principle for me.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakai wrote:
I for one will NOT be using the new Xfree, unless the dev team see's the light and returns to the beloved GPL.

I'm pretty sure that XFree86 never used the GPL license.

Anyway, I'm not trying to defend XFree; I just think that many people are reacting simply because XFree is changing their license (or maybe they're just jumping on the band wangon) and not because of the actual content of the license. I still have yet to see someone give a real life example of how the XFree license change prevents anyone from using (or distributing) GPL'd software.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's because if anyone provided this "real life" example, they would be violating the license and the FSF would have their balls. I've seen plenty of hypotheticals, but as soon as you try to prove them you violate the license yourself. ;-)
Erythro73
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long life to BSD License!
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe what we need is a cross between the GPL and LGPL.

Allows linking to any code whose license falls under some generally accepted Free Software definition.

That would guarantee the Freedom of the covered code and guarantee that it is not exploited for use in proprietary software but would avoid the anality of OSS license conflicts that we have today.

What do you think?
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to my previous post, if the FSF released a GPL 3 with such a change, the problem would be pretty much solved, since most GPL'd programs allow distribution under the GPL 2 or, at your option, any later version!
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skimitar wrote:
The new XFree licence requires copyright notices, conditions and a disclaimer to be placed in the source. For binary distributions, the end user documentation must contain these copyright notices, conditions and disclaimer or a means of displaying this to the user (e.g. splash screen, in the 'about'box). Without these, XFree can't be distributed under it's license.

The GPL requires that only limitation on the distribution of GPL software be the limitations imposed by the GPL itself.

Thus, XFree 4.4 will no longer be compliant and taints any code linking to it.

Thus, if KDE, Gnome, yada yada (anything that links to the xlibs, basically) wishes to remain licensed under the GPL, they can't ling to the new Xfree

From the Xfree License FAQ:
Quote:
The 1.1 license is not GPL-compatible. To avoid new issues with application programs that may be licensed under the GPL, the 1.1 licence is not being applied to client side libraries.
Still, the GPL covers distribution and not necessarily use, so simply having 4.4 on the servers that Portage uses could be a legal problem in and of itself.
I'm still an advocate of a complete replacement for X, with xlib backwards compatibility as a plug-in. The X protocol is not as well designed as some alternatives (such as Sun's defunct try based on Postscript, which failed because [IMO] it was non-free), and I am sure the free software community could design a truly elegant and extensible protocol. The problem is, doing so would take a great deal of time, and the actual implementation would take even longer. The Xfree problem is here now.

It will be an interesting few months...
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quote from the XFree FAQ. Why isn't this brought up more often? I wasn't aware of it, but I disagree with you ... I think it DOES solve the problem!

It's the same with MySQL. It has been GPL for a while, while the client libraries were LGPL. This allowed anything to link to them. Now, with the client libraries GPL, it causes a problem for commercial distributors, and is the reason why Red Hat and others can't include MySQL 4.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it solve the problem? I thought part of the problem was to make a video driver (which runs on the server side), you need to interface with both XFree86 (which is GPL incompatible) and the kernel (which is GPL.)
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was thinking more from application side.

Still, I think you'd be OK since Linux kernel modules need not be GPL. (Of course, that could potentially change in the future....)

So can we have our ebuilds now? :D
durden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I feel bit dumb, but I still cant see a potential GPL-violation.

I understand that the new XFree licence is not GPL-copatible any more. But I cant see a scenario where this would lead to a GPL-violation e.g. in a existing distribution.

Some people say gnome/kde would be violating the GPL. Some say video-drivers would be violating the GPL ... I dont see the GPL-violation (I see other problems like changing documentation or the fact that not every contributor of XFree wants his code to be put under the new licence ...)

Can somebody please give a example/scenario that shows the GPL-violation that results from the XFree licence changes.

Thanks.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and explain what I have grokked concerning the new XFree86 licensing issue.

David Dawes is pissed. He is pissed at Keith Packard. He is is pissed at other ex-XFree86 developers. He is pissed off at Redhat and very pissed off at freedesktop.org.

Whether or not he has a right to be pissed is another question- a question which none of us can suffciently answer. But this license change is David Dawes' payback- his revenge on the renegade rebellion in the X Windows community which started almost exactly a year ago.

When Keith Packard got kicked tensions which had been around for a long time surfaced. There was a lot of talk about forking XFree86. The folks at freedesktop.org and xouvert.org totally downplayed this talk- attempting to soothe now open wounds. freedesktop.org released a) Keith Packards new Xserver and b) their very own release of xlibs. This got Dawes very, very pissed. (rhetoric) just who do these guys think they are? now they have the chutzpah to claim that they themselves are now responsible for XFree86.....

In the meantime Dawes acts as if there is nothing wrong with his new license-'if anything needs to be changed its the GPL....'. He is being so unbelievably dishonest. He knows damn well that his changes cause problems with nearly every program which is linked against the xlibs-which is almost everything you see on your X Windows display.

But Dawes failed to grasp what was really going on. He failed to understand that people were not mad at him and XFree86 about the slow pace of development-they were upset because the XFree86 core-group(which no longer exists) was engaging in heavy-handed politics(outsting outstanding contributors) and that a new wlesspring of demand for genuine community participation had arisen which confronted and challenged the old tradition which had dominated XFree86 for years- that they were alone, that no one helped them, that everyone complained but did nothing- that they had to go their own way because no one really supported them.

Now Dawes has his revenge. He simply could not see the demand for a community- the demand from those who had hitherto played only a trivial role in the development process saying that they wanted to see things happen now. Pent-up desire, demand to see changes. Dawes could have endorsed this, he chose to dis it. OF course Dawes is not alone in this-but he is the only one left after the core-group dissolved at whom one can direct their anger. Dawes used to be the more level-headed of the core-group, far mor fair than some of the other members.

Whether you can see the problems with the new license or not is not the issue. The license issue is a thing of "perception"- in more ways than one. The Linux distributors could "sense" that something wasn't right, that something was changing. Now the Linux community and Theo from OpenBSD have made it clear-"NO" to the new license. If they all position themselves saying the new license is "GPL incompatible" the new license *is* incompatible- ie. no one will use or accept the new license. The responsible persons at freedesktop.org and xouvert.org have gone out of their way to avoid a fork-yet their actions are, in the eyes of Dawes and others at XFree86, a fork in every sense of the word, except for the name.

The new realities call for new structures and new roles. XFree86 is a staunchly conservative organization-which for the most part has been a Good Thing(TM)-it has given us a reliable, stable and free X Windows implementation for many years. Change is in the air and XFree86 has found itself incapable of dealing with the new situation.

Luckily the folks at freedesktop.org are really committed to the future of X-they know that X is not simply a Linux thing, and not simply an x86 thing-they respect and endorse the standards, the protocol, and in so doing are remaining loyal to that which XFree86 has stood for. freedsktop.org has only stepped forward due to the fact that XFree86 has been unwilling to really open up it's development process. If XFree86 would have simply reliquished it's heavy-handed control of development this whole issue would have never arisen.

The license issue is only making apparent what is and has been going on behind the scenes. Re-Changing the license back to its former state, or changing the GPL will not solve these issues. If XFree86 chose to re-change(ie.revert back) to their original license it would signal a concilliatory move-it would be a gesture of good will. But wounds have already taken place. There is need for much healing. Trust has been violated.

I am not saying that Dawes is the only or main culprit here. Many ego's have been involved in this mess. Remeber it always takes two to tango- their are legitimate points of view from all sides involved. As it stands XFree86 has backed itself into a corner and is now becoming the outsider. If they continue this path they will become irrelevant.

I wish all the parties involved could just talk things out and agree to new structures and new roles. I doubt this is going to happen- the attitude now in circulation is- "fine- fuck you, if you are going to act this way -well we don't need you". This is horribly divisive-it is tearing the threads which hold *the* community together apart. Right now the main battle is about the identity of this- *the* community.
Such situations can galvanize new identities-it can also lead to splintered groups working against each other. Only time will tell how things will develop....
jtshaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people that seam to be confused, I am going to try and make this clearer.

Say I make a set of libraries that need to interact with Xlib to do some graphics. In order to follow there licesnse I have to apply there restirctions to my distribution. Now, this also stops me from being able to use the GPL for my code. The reason I can't is because if somebody else were to use my code, they would also be required to abide by the extra restrictions in the XFree license. Now while some might not see a problem with this, it causes a problem for me because the GPL states you cannot apply any restrictions beyond the scope of the GPL. So all of a sudden you have a problem.

Now, I don't know as much about the BSD licesnse, but judging by some posts I have seen from BSD developers they are afraid of the same situation.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xlib is client side...
darksaidin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearFusi0n wrote:
i'm hoping beyond hope they keep this license.
the faster xfree86 dies and fd.o/keith packard's x server replaces it, the better.

This is just helping xfree86 die, which is what the linux community *needs*

It's not really slower in it's concept, it's just that there are not proper drivers available at the moment.
Of course, double buffered, flickerfree output is not 100% for free, even with hw acceleration ;)
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know much about software licensing, but the feeling i got from reading the announcement on xfree's website was just that they wanted people to do anything with the code except claim that they wrote it.

i need to read up some more tho..
bigsmoke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Hopefully ... Reply with quote

Hopefully they will turn around this licence change so that we don't have to live without X improvements untill FreeDesktop.Org's X server is stable :(
that makes others bash(1)
the newer GNU/Linux user,
a man(1) that is inapt
to flawlessly adapt,
and therefore called a luser.
sgtrock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this at LinuxFund.org:

Quote:

Funded: Daniel Stone as Release Manager for fd.o XServer
We're proud to announce our sponsorship of Australian student Daniel Stone, who promises to work at a breakneck pace to complete an initial release of the FreeDesktop.org XServer, scheduled for mid-March.

Daniel will work to test and package both client libraries and server and driver components in a stand-alone way. Previously, X had been distributed as a monolithic package by the ailing XFree86 team. Also on the agenda is converting the build environment from imake to autoconf/automake.

The best way to tune in to updates is to watch CVS of course, but planet.freedesktop.org is a shiny aggregation point for relevant journals.

W00t! :D
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and explain what I have grokked concerning the new XFree86 licensing issue

Looks nearly identical to a story I recently read at a Linux news site...
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksaidin wrote:

It's not really slower in it's concept, it's just that there are not proper drivers available at the moment.
Of course, double buffered, flickerfree output is not 100% for free, even with hw acceleration ;)

But even with xcompmgr the Xvesa server "feels" faster than the binary nvidia driver (at least for 2D ) And the drop shadows look really nice in fd.o :)

Article (in german) with screenshots of fd.o's XServer can be found at http://www.linuxhardware.de/deutsch/article/fdo.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: