Kernel Panic with Reiserfs on Solaris
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl_678
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic with Reiserfs on Solaris Reply with quote

I also posted this in the Solaris forum, but I am thinking that this might not be a Solaris specific problem so I wanted to post it here as well:

I am doing a fresh install of Gentoo (Kernel 2.4.23) on an Ultra5 with dual 80 GB HDs. I am setting up the system in a RAID1 configuration. The installation has gone smoothly and now I am trying to boot off of the system at the end of the installation and am having major problems. (Booting off of the LiveCD works fine.) The boot starts smoothly. I see that the two RAID 1 sets start properly and then I get some IP related commands:

Code:
Initializing Cryptographic API
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
****Here is where everything goes to hell****
sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,1)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Okay, now I understand that it looks like it cannot find reiserfs partition, but I am trying to figure out why this is the case. I believe that my fstab is correct, (see below) and I also definitely compiled reiserfs into the kernel NOT as a module. (again this is below. One thought, could there be something that is not compiled in the kernel and needs to be besides the obvious reiserfs stuff and the stuff listed in the install docs?) I have also included a print out of the partitions below and silo.conf. (Note also that "mount -t reiserfs /dev/md2 /mnt/gentoo" works fine when booting from the LiveCD so I know that md2 is running reiserfs.) Just as an fyi, the two drives are installed as masters on their own IDE channels and have the exact same partition layout. (hda and hdc)

I have reached the end of my Gentoo knowledge at this point and am stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? I have this feeling that something small is wrong, but I just have no idea and am feeling very frustrated.

TIA for any help.

JL

fstab
Code:
# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/md0                /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 2
/dev/md2                /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/hda2               swap            swap            defaults,pri=1          0 0
/dev/hdc2               swap            swap            defaults,pri=1          0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

Kernel Config
Code:
CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO=y

Partition Layout
Code:
disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 255 sectors, 38323 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4080 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System