Power failure while running genkernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Power failure while running genkernel Reply with quote

I was in the process of a fresh gentoo install and lost mains power while genkernel was running. :(

So my question is where should I restart from, keeping in mind that I am new to gentoo/linux.

I am using the pentium 4 LiveCD's.
buto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stage are you installing from ?
You need to
1)do all the mount /dev/hdxx /mnt/gentoo stuff to mount again the all partitions (4.j. Mounting)
2)chroot (6.a. Chrooting) no need to re-edit all the files you've changed, like make.conf, nor to emerge sync. (what's been done on disks after chrooting is still there
3)run genkernel again (7.d. Alternative: Using genkernel) again no need to re-emerge it

hope it's about right ;)

EDIT: ah yeah, get the network back if you're installing with network, but I guess tou figured that !
seedhe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks buto, that got me up and running again.

I'm struggling with the mount concepts but I'll get there... just a matter of time. :)
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please consider following this section of the Install Handbook and configure your own kernel instead of using genkernel. Configuring your own kernel is not nearly as hard as you think it will be, and genkernel is seriously broken. I've seen it cause way more headaches for new folks to Gentoo than it solves.

As for remounting what you've already done, just follow the installation handbook from the beginning, but skip over any step that would write anything to your disk. So, for example, you don't want to do fdisk, you don't want to create filesystems and so on. Just follow the steps just like you did the first time for mounting filesystems and turning on the swap space and all that jazz.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: