Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Telling arts to use another device (ALSA)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Telling arts to use another device (ALSA) Reply with quote

Hey there!

My sound card (ES1371) has two DSPs, which can be very handy. I used to use OSS on my desktop, and I just told Artsd to use /dev/dsp1. Then all my kde apps had sound, and all my non kde apps could use /dev/dsp.

Well, now I've switched to the 2.6 kernels (and ALSA). I noticed when I just tell arts to use /dev/adsp (alsa's oss emulation's equivalent to /dev/dsp1), arts shoots up to 90% CPU usage, and its just generally not very well behaved.

Now I want to tell arts to use ALSA instead. The default ALSA device arts uses is hw:0,0 (or /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p according to lsof). The good news here is that when I use that device, arts uses only 1% CPU, and its very stable (And has good sound quality). The bad news is, I can't get Arts to use hw:0,1. Not from the KDE control center anyway.

When I start up artsd manualy from an xterm, with this command artsd -a alsa -D hw:0,1 , it works fine. But as soon as I try to tell arts to use hw:0,1 (in Control Center > sounds & multimedia > sound system). I get this message :
Code:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: hw:0,1 can't be opened for capture (No such file or directory)

Ok,, this post has gotten waaay to long.. :oops:
Basically, what I want to know is, how do I tell Artsd to use the ALSA device hw:0,1?

Thanks!!!
Refried
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: