OpenGL = Hard Crash - PPC G4, Rage 128
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: OpenGL = Hard Crash - PPC G4, Rage 128 Reply with quote

After a reasonable effort, I managed to get Gentoo and X set up on my G4 (PowerMac G4 - AGP, Rage 128 Pro). Unfortunately, OpenGL seems to cause the system to crash or hang hard. In particular, if I run glxgears, it runs for a couple of seconds, then kaboom-- time to hit the reset button.

Anyone have any ideas? OpenGL rendering is hardware accelerated-- it's just not stable. :(

Any more info I should provide?

-Roy
ollyb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on my G3 iBook. I had X and KDE working fine (amazingly - I don't know how i did it!!) but then i stupidly emerged opengl now whenever I
Code:
startx
the screen goes black and the system just hangs. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

olly
ollyb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update (sadly no reolution to this problem as yet). I unmerged opengl which seemed to get rid of x as well. So I emerged x again, ran Xeasyconf (which ran fine) and then ran startx and... the same thing, blank screen.
It strikes me as rather annoying when you can install something and it messes up your system so you uninstall it and it stays messed up. Argh!!

Olly
SeraphWhisper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some work, I finally managed to get DRI enabled on my g3 ibook 500mhz. Except it doesn't quite work. I'm having the same problem here, with glxgears or any 3d rendering locking my system up hard and forcing a hard reboot. Using xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 and the r128 driver. Glxgears used to run without DRI enabled at a measley 50fps, but just locks up hard now. DRI seems to be the culprit, but various threads have reported sucess with DRI and the r128, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

relevant section of xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Option          "UseFBDev"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "r128"
        VendorName      "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName       "Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
EndSection
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having this problem with X.org-6.8.0-r1. With X.org-6.7, it worked fine. If you would like to use OpenGL, at the moment it would be best to drop back to X.org 6.7. It is does not seem to be related to the new extensions as it happens with and without them. I'll look into it a little deeper and see what I can find.

For the record, this is on a Powerbook G4 500 with a Rage 128 Mobility M3, running X.org-6.8.0-r1 and gentoo-dev-sources kernel 2.6.7-r14.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: