View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Mozilla Thunderbird libgkplugin.so not found Reply with quote

I just finished upgrading Mozilla Thunderbird from 0.3 to 0.5. To my knowledge, the compile went fine. It seemed to merge it fine, then it unmerged the old 0.3 version..

However, it does not run... (Yes, I know that the binary name has been changed to thunderbird, as opposed to MozillaThunderbird.)

When I try to run it, the window frame opens up. (Eg, i see the wm decoractions and the title, but nothing more). Then, the window immediately closes and I see this printed out to the console several times:
Code:
nsNativeComponentLoader: GetFactory(libgkplugin.so) Load FAILED with error: /usr/lib/MozillaThunderbird/components/libgkplugin.so: cannot open shared file: No such file or directory

Okay.. so this is weird. The file does not exist. However, it exists in the Firefox directory (which I am currently using to type this message now..). So, I thought that if I copied this file over to the Thunderbird directory, all would be fine. However, after doing this, the same thing happens, but nothing is printed out to the console....

gah... it took a whole day to compile Thunderbird.. please don't say that I have to do it again...

Any thoughts? I searched this forums for the keyword "libgkplugin," but it said that it didn't find anything...?
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a symlink to the firefox' one, but I didn't notice any problem before.
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, strange...

Is anyone else missing libgkplugin.so?

I've just unmerged mozilla-thunderbird and am now merging mozilla-thunderbird-bin to see if that makes any difference...

If that doesn't work, do you think that symlinking the entire components directory will have any effect?

Edit:
Okay, I just merged the binary version... no error messages printed, but it doesn't work... Same thing. Window opens for a half a second, then closes... What is wrong? Firefox is working fine and Thunderbird 0.3 was working fine too...
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've fixed it.. Turns out that there were some lines in my prefs.js that kept on crashing Thunderbird. I'm not quite sure why, but I just guessed that they could have been the problem, and I happened to guess right. It appears to be working now.

The lines in question were something about, "mail.server.server1.directory-rel." I have a feeling that these lines may have refered to directories that didn't exist, or were in relation to where this prefs file originally was on my windows partition. (I migrated this profile from Windows). I guess that Thunderbird 0.3 didn't make use of this user_pref, so it didn't have any problems. Now that the lines are gone, 0.5 seems to be working okay..

I commented out such lines and then fired up Thunderbird again. (With success)

Thanks for your reply!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: