Gaming Kernel (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostSon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Gaming Kernel (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I am thinking about building the gaming kernel and was wondering if anyone is using it and how do u like it ? Do u see any improvement? Then running other apps does it not work as well? thanks 8)

Last edited by LostSon on Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the gaming kernel is based on 2.6.* then sure its good.
linux: #232767
y3t39
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 2.4.20-gaming kernel for some time now.

It seems fast enough. Every game I have performs very well in it, with the exception of Unreal Tournament which runs VERY slowly, and eventually crashes the system.

The last 2.6 kernel I used was 2.6.0. I didn't think it ran nearly as well. There were a couple things (q3a, ZSNES) that ran very poorly. At the time it didn't seem quite as supported by gentoo. (various things didn't set up quite as smoothly)

I'll probably give 2.6.1 another try in the near future.
LostSon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does UT run so bad? I have had troubles running on my system here too with the genkernel. All my other games run great except that one weird :?:
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran the gaming sources, but I seem to find the mm sources better performers for me. I haven't tried the love sources just yet.
byrnerat101
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gaming sources suck ! i ran them fine for about 6 months .... then its time to upgrade and i have had literally 5-20 diffrent problums, and during the six moth time i was running, i had more weird errors such as x crashing randomly and crashing every time i try to play enemy territory... in my opinion that kernel is crap ! i would try the mm or gentoo sources or go right on up to the 2.6 kernel
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran them when they first came out. Essentially it is just a kernel with ck-patches, and a few gentoo ones thrown in. I personally prefer a ck-patched kernel so I use a 2.6.3-ck1 kernel. You can find ck-patches HERE or just grab ck-sources from portage. The 2.6.x series are masked.

EDIT: for clarity, the 2.6 series ck-sources kernels are masked.
LostSon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the gaming kernel and i recently tried the 2.6 seiries of kernels the mm to b exact. I love the new 2.6 kernel config and kernel compile times but really didint see big giant speed increases that i kept hearing about. Then when compiling new programs or kernels my music would kick out and graphics would flicker and that kinda bugged me. Then i was reading that the gentoo kernel is tweaked especially for this that when compiling or building from source the gentoo kernel is tweaked for this so my music and grpahics dont skip everything runs smooth. This i really like. So im using the gentoo-2.4.22-r7 right now and mostly plan to keep using the gentoo kernels as they are more geared for what i do anyway. As far as my gaming well i didnt see much difference between gaming-sources and 2.6 sources and the gentoo 2.4 so I will stay withthe 2.4. Keep up the good work guys & thanks a ton. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: