Gentoo sees 1Gb Microdrive as 32Mb
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Memetic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Gentoo sees 1Gb Microdrive as 32Mb Reply with quote

I am installing Gentoo onto a 1GB Hitachi Microdrive. Currently the drive is attached to a spare PC with broadband net access. I plan to do the install, transfer the drive to a Virgin Webplayer, then update Gentoo to match it's new location - initially over modem, ultimate goal is to connect via usb wireless LAN.

For stage one I just wanted to get Gentoo up and running on the Microdrive but I have hit a problem.

Using fdisk to set the drive parameters to 16 heads and 2088 cylinders 63 tracks (as per http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/3CF5DDBEB08168EE87256AC000670646/$file/DSCM_psH.pdf ) and then setting partition 1 as 32MB boot, partition 2 as 512MB Swap and the rest of the drive as partition 3, I get a strange result.

Executing a write in fdisk gives no errors. But if you go back in and p to get the partition info it says that the disk is only 32MB (16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 63 Cylinders) and that:

"Partition 2 has different physical / logical endings: phys=(1023, 15, 63) logical=(1056, 15, 63)"

Obviously partion 3 then has different physical and logical start and end.

I have tried this several times the result is repeatable.

Can any point me to my error and even better suggest a fix.

Thanks

Memetic

Last edited by Memetic on Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: