I wanted to thank all the folks that brought us Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravenswood1000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: I wanted to thank all the folks that brought us Gentoo Reply with quote

My boss and I use Red Hat servers extensively at work for file sharing, domain security, database services, etc. When Red Hat went into the linux for payola business it put a bad taste in our mouths and we began to look elsewhere.

Our criteria for a new operating system was simple. Stability, documentation, package management, and support (IMHO package management was utmost as we broke more things then repaired using RPM).

I was looking at FreeBSD documentation when my boss burst down my office door and said "Ravenswood! I want you to put a Gentoo install on that new server!", and I did, and we have not been sorry about it.

As mentioned on the forums, the learning curve is steep but once you get your first install running you will never exchange Gentoo for a different installation. My biggest stumble was not manually configuring the kernel right away. As soon as I did that, Gentoo was up, running, and happy.

Yes, there were some other glitches, but a quick trip to the forums always solved any issues rapidly.

Currently we have 3 Gentoo servers and are going to convert a forth from RH to Gentoo. We are that happy with this distro.

So to you folks that bring us Gentoo, thank you for all your time and effort. To those users that post on the forums with answers to questions, thank you for your time and effort. You all have made my job easier and for the first time since Apple DOS 3.3 I have firm belief in an operating system.

ravenswood1000
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I like. People help each other. I have never had such a support on any other forum.

And gentoo definetely is great. I had several other distributions before, but never touched another after gentoo.

THANK YOU ALL!
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Ravenswood!...
He actually called you ravenswood? You know you have it nice when you and your boss call each other by your Gentoo Forum nicknames ;)
Oid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a computer beyond a point-of-sales in a work enviroment, but for my playing around at home and learning, i've gone through Caldera, Mandrake, suse, about 40 seconds of a redhat install (dont know why, i despised it) before landing in Gentoo....

I have to say, I love Gentoo, not only because it is the first one actually making me learn stuff, but because through these forums, I am actually able to do so. Questions are actually answered, and it is a tight knit community. So yes, thank you to the devs, but thank you to the users as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: