Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo == Third fastest growning distro ....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Gentoo == Third fastest growning distro .... Reply with quote

Would seem that Gentoo is the third fastest growing distro ... not too bad!

According to this ...

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/01/28/debian_fastest_growing_linux_distribution.html

Which I found at ...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/1954258&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=117&tid=126&tid=156&tid=185&tid=90&tid=99

... Gentoo's userbase grew 19.5% in the last six months. I know that includes my 4 boxes.

--J
ShockValue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THird fastest growing distro that is hosting a website with apache.

I would bet it's higher if you could look at "Computer Enthusiast" statistics.
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True ... true ... but a measurement of it being used in production environments is valid.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's also good to point out that overall there was a large overall growth in number of Linux boxes running web servers :)

I do agree with the comment about Gentoo experience larger growth on personal desktops as well. Those would be interesting numbers, but really all people can do is estimate. I'd be curious to see how many unique IP addresses hit the rsync servers in a given week/month.
ShockValue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiggJ wrote:
True ... true ... but a measurement of it being used in production environments is valid.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I was disagreeing with you. It is indeed valid, and a nice surprise. Seems that when ever anyone asks "what distro for server-application-X" people alawys say FreeBSD or Debian. It seems there are more people willing to go gentoo for webservers (I do.)
je4d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As shockvalue said, that's for webhosting.

Personally, I think that anyone running a server on gentoo is mad. It's just not what gentoo is good at.

FWIW, both my laptop & desktop run gentoo, and my server runs debian (-:

- J
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

je4d wrote:

Personally, I think that anyone running a server on gentoo is mad. It's just not what gentoo is good at.

- J

Can you please explain?

I can agree with you if your argument is commercial support, besides that I would love to hear your arguments as to why not to use Gentoo on servers.

Erik
geertn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commercial support for debian is not all that.........

But we miss semi-automated security updates for gentoo. (apt-get update / apt-get -u upgrade). You can say you dont need that, but he... that's exactly the point why Debian got famous!!
emgarf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's the distro with the most turnover, based on the number of Linux users I know that have tried it and given up on the install.
sigix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah this distro is really, who wanna play and learn :D
Brother Dysk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the Apache server distros, no.

The Apache servers that have a distro in the Apache header. Which, according to NetCraft, is only about a quarter of all linux Apache servers.
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geertn wrote:
But we miss semi-automated security updates for gentoo. (apt-get update / apt-get -u upgrade). You can say you dont need that, but he... that's exactly the point why Debian got famous!!

It's coming, see GLEP 14. Once it's there and once the portage tree is digitally signed, there will be no technical reason not to consider Gentoo as a good alternative for servers. I already use Gentoo on mines ;)

Since the "more stable" point will come in this discussion soon, I anticipate and say this : if stability really is an issue you should not trust anyone, have your own pre-production server to test your software on and procedures to double-check that what you put in your box is working before being deployed in production.

With these procedures in place, Gentoo is at least as appropriate as Debian for server use, and could even be described as more appropriate, since you can easily build binary packages on your pre-production server to be deployed on your production server after proper validation.

-K
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Distribution   July 2003   January 2004   Growth Rate 
Debian       355,469     442,752   24.6%
SuSE         240,411     296,217   23.2%
Gentoo        20,273      24,229   19.5%
RedHat     1,231,986   1,451,505   17.8%
Mandrake      51,299      52,543   2.4%
Cobalt       553,012     548,963   -0.7%

With small numbers like that for Gentoo, I question the methodology to consider thoses numbers has valids.

I have written my own distribution: July 2003: 1 user, January 2004: 10 users. Woohoo!!! 1000% growth. That must surely be the fastest growing distribution... right?

See what I mean? Gentoo's numbers are so low that it's more of an outlier than anything else. Red-hats increase in numbers of servers is 9 time the number of total Gentoo servers.

Basically, I think this methodology for measuring the growth of a distribution is flawed.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the apache for gentoo package automatically put gentoo in the header? i was under the impression that it didn't which would account for the small numbers.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Does the apache for gentoo package automatically put gentoo in the header? i was under the impression that it didn't which would account for the small numbers.
Yes it does. Go enter your url for your domain on Netcraft's site and you'll see for yourself.
Quote:
The site tecknojunky.com is running Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) (Gentoo/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6k mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a PHP/4.3.3 on Linux.

castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it or not, I think the lack of a graphical installer is hurting gentoo adoption. I have seen many people get discoraged after struggling to get gentoo working, and move on to something else. Not everybody enjoy spending hours of typing commands just to get apache working.

This basically restricts gentoo for people with experience with linux and that are willing to learn a lot. This is a relativelly small group. It does not matter how easy it is to set up apache (emerge apache) if people have difficulty to install gentoo.

I think the grouth rate would increase significantly if gentoo provided an optional graphical installer. It would have to be optional because there are many people who dislike and oppose a graphical installer.
deepwave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: GUI needed? Reply with quote

I agree the lack of an optional GUI installer hurts. But then again I am not sure if I want to see Gentoo become a sort of RedHat distro. So I guess the debate is still open...
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not wishing to be eliteist but do you realy think people who cant setup gentoo without a point and click gui should be running linux servers, granted it would be handy for desktop users but i can live with a lower number of smart users at the moment.

as gentoo is the distro i am by far the most familiar i would probably trust the x86 tree but mainly as i have never realy used/liked debian, if my job depended upon it i would be a bit nervious[1] though as a server admin i would probably(hopefully) have beter linux knowlage so i wouldnt screw about so much.

[1] i have done some strange things to my system using modist flags and rember the time etc-update broke dhcp
Jefklak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed tecknojunky, that are very small numbers for gentoo... Are there really that many people using Gentoo? I think its at least twice more! Must have been Bill, making that article :P
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefklak wrote:
Indeed tecknojunky, that are very small numbers for gentoo... Are there really that many people using Gentoo? I think its at least twice more! Must have been Bill, making that article :P
I'd say even more than twice. The numbers are what they are: the number of Apache/Linux servers disclosing their Distribution name in the header. As such, then yes, Gentoo genuinely comes third. It is just that the news article is titled solely by "Distribution growth", out of it's context. But the small numbers for Gentoo makes it easy to climb high and drop low from 6 months to 6 months. For Gentoo to be number one, it would have needed only 1032 more servers. That's my point.
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
je4d wrote:

- J

Can you please explain?

I can agree with you if your argument is commercial support, besides that I would love to hear your arguments as to why not to use Gentoo on servers.

I've got no problem with running my server on Gentoo. It gets updated less often, normally for security patches.
And having everything running Gentoo keeps things in the family. ;)
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koon wrote:
With these procedures in place, Gentoo is at least as appropriate as Debian for server use

Debian Stable is also stable as in "does not change". Security fixes are backported by the security team, and no non-critical (i.e. neither security-related, nor sufficiently severe that the package will be completely broken without it) patches are allowed in at all. This is fairly hard to beat in terms of ease of maintenance.

By contrast, I suspect that the Gentoo approach will continue to mean just upgrading to the latest upstream release, an unknown quantity complete with new features and new bugs. Additionally, aspects of the app's behaviour may have been modified or deprecated between releases, requiring the admin to first get himself up to speed as to what these changes are, then spend time ensuring the new setup does exactly what it did before.

Quote:
and could even be described as more appropriate, since you can easily build binary packages on your pre-production server to be deployed on your production server after proper validation.

With Debian there's generally no need to compile the packages at all (though it's still easy enough to do so) so the administrator can get straight to the validation/testing phase. A backported security patch will also require far less testing than a whole new release, so it can be deployed much sooner.
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
With Debian there's generally no need to compile the packages at all (though it's still easy enough to do so) so the administrator can get straight to the validation/testing phase. A backported security patch will also require far less testing than a whole new release, so it can be deployed much sooner.

You cannot really trust binaries unless you compile them yourself though. Installing a binary on Debian is putting faith in a volunteer. At least with Gentoo you can trust the binary fully because you built it yourself.
a23d56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulpach wrote:
grouth rate would increase significantly if gentoo provided an optional graphical installer

Using a source distribution requires a certain level of software skill, since compiling programs is inherent to its use. Why should gentoo developers care whether Windows Joe User will ever use gentoo, or not?

To me, growth of users is less important than growth of developers, who make the distribution what it is.

:)
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
You cannot really trust binaries unless you compile them yourself though. Installing a binary on Debian is putting faith in a volunteer. At least with Gentoo you can trust the binary fully because you built it yourself.

Do you you personally read through the source code of every single package you install? :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: