Teamspeak2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Teamspeak2 Reply with quote

I would like to inquire if anyone has teamspeak2 client runing. I am using the 2.6.3-r1 kernel and a gnome desktop, and would really like to get this up and running. Being a complete linux noob I am not sure how to do this. I tried to emerge the package but it is masked, so I am assuming there is a problem with the ebuild. Thanks is advance for your help.
someguy42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily masked because it's got a problem; it's masked because it's not considered quite stable yet. Perfectly stable on my machine, I might add. Try this, and see if it doesn't take care of you...
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv teamspeak2-client-bin

and if that works like it should, do...
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge teamspeak2-client-bin

Good luck! :D
mondauge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have it running and had never a problem with it. At some point it didn't recognize my voice anymore, so noone could hear me, but that magically fixed itself and is fine now :-)

mondauge
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little imbarassing, I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question but after emergeing TeamSpeak just how do I start the program. I am using a Gnome desktop. I have no idea how to start it. I have only about 2 weeks of aquired knowledge with Gentoo.

Maybe I am just missing some support libs or files. Can you tell me what is required to run TeamSpeak
mondauge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teamspeak requires exclusive access to your soundcard. So, if you have some kind of soundserver (e.g. artsd or esd) running, which takes also complete control of your soundcard, Teamspeak won't start. So, try killing any soundserver process prior to running TS and you should be fine :-)
I suggest you also take a look at the teamspeak forums if the problem persists

HTH,
mondauge
Rylan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems because I was running /opt/teamspeak2-client/TeamSpeak.bin when I should have used /opt/bin/TeamSpeak.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys I still have some issues but I think they can be fixed.

Rylan that was a great tip I was trying to use the wrong file as well as soon as I reset the link it started just fine.

I can chat and hear just but I cause a terrible echo to other players. So untill I can find a fix for this I can only listen so I dont disrupt everyone else.

As soon as I find the fix I will post it back here. Buy the way I am running the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r1 kernel. Seems to handle sound and games just fine. A few issues have croped up but, so far have been easily solved.
someguy42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The echo fix is most likely not related to your installation at all. Are you using standalone speakers and a microphone? If so, try moving the microphone farther from the speakers. I used to have this problem as well, until I spent $5 on a cheap headset. The headset doesn't really have to be anything special, but it will make an immense difference in how well it all works. You and your teammates will all appreciate it. :) Happy fragging (or whatever!) :wink:
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some testing I have discoverd a few other issues with my set up. I am using a usb side winder game voice that allows me to control a set of speakers or my head set. It seems that I have 2 seperate issues in the way things are set up.

One is that what may be occuring is that my sound card is recording everything that is currantly happing and then playing it back to me and my fellow players. Also if I mute my mic it dosen't fix the echo unless i mute it in the TS2 chat options itself. Then the echo is gone and I can still hear fine. If I mute my mic in the alsa mixer controls the echo is still there the only diff is that they can no longer hear me.

Second thing is that if TS2 is running and I attempt to start Q3 the system just locks up solid. I get a blank screen and have to hit the reset switch on my computer. So it appears that I am unable to use 2 sepearte programs that require the sound drivers at the same time. This leads me to belive that it is an issue with the drivers itself and the way they are handeling things.

Now I am using the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r2 kernel and building the support for most things into the kernel. I have a Audigy Xgamer card and I am positive I am using the correct drivers for it. I belive I have emerged the right apps, alsa mixer and alsa tools, for my set up but I am not 100% sure of this. I use Gnome as well.

Now I think that the problem lies in the recording and playback settings someplace. Somehow I need to be able to to tell the drivers that recording is only to be done by the mic or the imput deivce and or that I don't wish to hear what is being recorded during the recording process and that playback can be used by any app that requires it evne if 2 or more apps wish to use it at the same time. How to do this I have no clue. I am just to new to linux to answer this question. I am going to check the alsa site and see if I can gain some insight to this issue.

In the mean time I guess if I want to play Q3 and chat to my fellow players at the same time. I will have to use windoz :( which is not my first choice any more. I hope to be able to learn enough to be able to free my HD of any program or O/S that has the letters MS in it any place.

Sorry I this is to long or OT
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever sort ya problems Tango ??

I have teamspeak2 installed, but find i can't run it alongside q3 :(

going back to what mondauge said, it appears that once one of them has hold of the soundcard, the other can't get it :-0

Is there anyway to persuading them to share it, or if not - of using the onboard sound also ?

might be along shot, after all the thread is old -- I'm working my way through searches for the problem now (now where are the teamspeak forums ...)
kleeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and lo and behold, I have the solution - and guess what, the teamspeak forums are linked form their mainsite :)

if ya interested in finding out go take a look here >>> http://www.teamspeak.org/forums/showthread.php?s=85d25fd67adb92d17d94fc209825fe74&threadid=13067&highlight=echo
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was able to solve the problem. To keep it simple I run a monolithic kernel and build everything I can into it. The only modules I load are the nvidia kernel module. While many may think this is not the best solution and prefere to have modullar kernel, I find it just to much trouble and extrax work. I discovered that even though the OSS stuff is considered obsolete. I enabled it in the kernel anyway just to see what if anything would happen. Recompiled my kernel, and reemerged teamspeak and quake3. To my complete delight I found that both teamspeak and quake3 worked perfectely. Not only that I could listen to mp3's and play quake and chat on teamspeak all at the same time without any problems. On a side note I also removed any alsa or oss stuff I had perviously emerged. When you build it into the kernel it appears that the other stuff just isnt necessary and may cause other conflicts. On a sad note I broke my sound and quake3 when I upgraded to Gnome 2.6 and while teamspeak sorta works, I can't talk at all the, mic just dosen't work anymore. Also I can no longer play quake because of a video problem. Along with a few other minor problems and irratants. So tomarrow I am going to try and solve these issues, and see if I can get my system back to perfect operation. I am still using gentoo-dev-2.6.3-r2 and I am also testing the 2.6.5 kernel on my system. Both kernels work well and both have exactly the same issues with sound and video, so i am sure my upgrade to Gnome 2.6 broke the system.

Sorry for such a long post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: