Safe to remove NPTL support?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basquiat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Safe to remove NPTL support? Reply with quote

As I'm experiencing some minor problems on my laptop which I want to hunt down, I was thinking about disabling NPTL on my system to exclude another possible source of misbehaviour.

So my question is whether it is safe to remove "nptl" from my useflags (afterwards compiling glibc again) - or not. Do I have to recompile all other applications since I enabled NPTL (gcc, binutils, kde...)? Or, even worse: Is there no way back?

TIA,
basquiat
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is safe to idsable nptl. Just remove it from your use flags and recompile glibc (and win if you use it). The rest don't need to be recompiled.
basquiat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, six minutes, that was a fast reply. Thank you! ;)
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What minor errors are you having on your laptop? NPTL is very stable and is usually not to blame. I'd hate to have you recompile all of glibc for no reason.
basquiat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest annoyance for sure is that I can't get my sound working correctly when using cpudyn (CPU throttling). I submitted a post in the "Hardware & Laptops" forum:

Troubles with audio: Vaio GRX, ALSA and cpudyn (Linux 2.6.x)

Another one was the strange behaviour of some KDE applications, i.e. konqueror didn't start to render a requested URL until I did some movements with my scrollwheel. There were a few other flaws I can't remember at the moment. By removing NPTL I just wanted to exclude another possible source of errors. BTW., I had to reemerge QT after compiling glibc, which I found pretty surprising. :?

Anyway, everything works the way it used to do, unfortunately also the broken audio output stayed. At least I can blame cpudyn or CPU throttling in general now.

regards,
basquiat
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: