Defeat again... can't generate modprobe.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElectroLux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Defeat again... can't generate modprobe.conf Reply with quote

Ok, I've reaalllly been trying to install Gentoo and it has been an ardous, painful failure.

This is attempt number 3.

First attempt, cd would not unmount at he end of an almost successful install, forcing the machine into loops. I tried to save it, but ended up screwing the install up.

Second attempt mysteriously crapped during emerge system and shut the machine down.

Number 3. I have a brand new box I just built, specifically to finally conquer the seemingly impossible installation of Gentoo.

All went well up until getting the kernel. I decided to try the 2.6 this time after prior failures and also because of things I've been reading.

The install guide says "gentoo-dev-sources (kernel v2.6 source patched with performance-enhancing features and stability improvements)", which I took to mean what it looks like. I later saw in the forums this is AMD64 only. So I grabbed gentoo-dev-sources.

Thing is, I still hit the same wall. After carefully following the instructions and doing make && make modules_install and compiling the extra modules in the next step, it simply refuses to create the modprobe.conf file. I've re-emerged and recompiled several times, making sure the right options where selected, copying to boot, etc.. I've gone back and redone every step from "configuring the kernel" and it just doesn't work.

Doing the find step in /lib/modules lists only dummy.ko and fglrx.ko ( i did emerge ati-drivers ) after an assload of compiling dependencies for the ati-drivers. modprobe on either fails... I emerged module-init-tools...

modules-update continues to fail writing modprobe.conf

I really don't want to turn to Fedora or back to Mandrake for a few reasons, having been there already, but up and running in less than an hour with nary a problem is beginning to out weigh my gripes.

It can't be that hard! I have gone over things to the point where my patience is all but gone, and where it not for the fact that many others have Gentoo running I would think it time to write it off as "maybe in another year it'll be usable". I've searched the forums and people have had similar problems ( can't write the file ) but the solutions were not applicable it seemed.

Can anyone explain what the hell is wrong here? I've sunk three days compiling and fighting and achieved nothing but a bad attitude.
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modules-update force

if it does not work you'll have to build your kernel without modules. (monolithic)

that way you can boot your computer and then compile your kernel with modules.

NOTE: My kernel is monolithic, its faster.
ElectroLux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for replying.

I actually did use the force option with the unfortunate same result.

Monolithic kernel.... hrrrrmmm. I assume this will include a large amount of generic drivers? I wonder if I do this, if I will finally get through the install and have a working system. I could then try again, with a modular kernel, as it seems most of the point in going through all this for Gentoo is to avoid such things as a monolithic kernel.

Well, I guess I'm more or less on my own again. I'm considering just flushing it all and starting over for the last try, before I move on to something else.

I think another thing I shall do is try and cross-reference the install guide against the forums before starting again. The guide is certainly helpful but very vague in critical places, or completely lacking information in others ( example is after emerge system you have x number of config files to update... do you do it or no? ). Given the complexity and length of time an install takes, a single mistake can be deadly. But, it IS free so who am I to complain right?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: