lircd 0.6.6 won't start **UPDATED WITH FIXES**
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trolley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: lircd 0.6.6 won't start **UPDATED WITH FIXES** Reply with quote

I cannot get lircd to start. First I got this error:

Code:

* Starting lircd...
lircd 0.6.6: can't open or create /var/lib/run/lircd.pid
lircd 0.6.6: No such file or directory                                    [ !! ]

So I created the run directory in /var/lib because it didn't exist. Now I get:

Code:

* Starting lircd...
lircd 0.6.6: could not open logfile
lircd 0.6.6: No such file or directory                                    [ !! ]

I don't even know where this logfile is, let alone why it can't be opened. Can anyone give some assistance?

Last edited by trolley on Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
trolley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I eventually solved this, so I'll give the info here in case any other poor soul has the same trouble as me.

First, you will most likely want to send specific options to the configure script of lirc. Read the head of the lirc ebuild file, located in /usr/portage/app-misc/lirc for details. As an example, here are mine:

Code:

export LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=winfast_tv2000 --with-syslog=LOG_DAEMON"; emerge lirc

The driver name is determined from the list in the lirc ebuild. An important option I found is the --with-syslog=LOG_DAEMON. Lirc refused to start for me, no matter what I did, saying that it couldn't open the logfile. This option lets lirc use the syslog. You can look at other syslog facilities with

Code:

man 3 syslog

After lirc installs, part of the emerge output may include information about kernel modules which need to be loaded for your remote to work. For example I had to add

Code:

lirc_gpio

to my modules.autoload file.

If you used the --with-driver option earlier a working lircd.conf file for your remote should now be in /etc. If not, go to http://www.lirc.org/remotes/ and take a look for yours.

Finally, the lircd init script in /etc/init.d does not tell the lirc daemon to connect to the right device, since the device under devfs is different from the lircd default. This can be fixed by modifying the /etc/init.d/lircd file as follows:

Code:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later

depend()
{
        need net
}

start()
{
        ebegin "Starting lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/lircd -- --device=/dev/lirc/0
        eend $?
}

stop()
{
        ebegin "Stopping lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/lircd
        eend $?
}

Run

Code:

/etc/init.d/lircd start

as root to start the daemon. As I said in my first post, I got an error because the directory /usr/lib/run did not exist. If you get the same, just create the directory and try to start the daemon again.

Hopefully this will help any other Gentoo users having problems getting lirc up and running. Good luck :)
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had the same problem but the --with-syslog=LOG_DAEMON option solved everything...

Thanks!
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool , maybe a mod should move this to tips and tricks
thadk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks I finally got this working but I had a hang up with the official config file for the Leadtek 2000 XP with the old (not deluxe) style remote. I had to make up my own with irrecord (instructions to which I found here)
atac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it working now aswell, lircd starts without errors, tho mode2 says /dev/lirc no such file or directory. and the only lirc i got in /dev is lircd ..

hm.
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!!! this helped out a lot. thanks!
schmoli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atac wrote:
got it working now aswell, lircd starts without errors, tho mode2 says /dev/lirc no such file or directory. and the only lirc i got in /dev is lircd ..

hm.

I'm at the same place! the install (with specifying my remote [winfast 2000 xp delux]) said I wouldn't need a kernel module, so what do I have to do to get that device up?

edit: well I didn't have to recompile my kernel, but I DID need to modprobe lirc_gpio, which created my /dev/lirc/0 device.
edit2: great well I run everything, but I can't get irw to return anything, and if i try to make a new lircd.conf using irrecord, it starts to work (I get some ...'s), but it just never does anything, and eventually I get tired and then get a "gap not found, can't continue" after a few seconds).
trolley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of lirc are you trying to install? My updating installed 0.7 but I had absolutely no luck with it.
schmoli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don't know why I couldn't get irrecord to work, but my big problem was I was using the wrong lircd.conf. I just blindly assumed that all the WinFast TV 2000 XP cards came with the same remote, but mine came with a "Cool Command Y0400046" remote instead of the one that is identified by the config that came with mythtv. If anyone needs that config file I can supply it.
grzewho
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trolley wrote:
What version of lirc are you trying to install? My updating installed 0.7 but I had absolutely no luck with it.

my 0.7 version of lirc doesn`t work either. the problem is that modprobing the lirc_gpio and/or lirc_dev modules gives unresolved symbols. i`m running the latest gentoo-sources without any problems so far. any hints?
haven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the same as grzewho, I'm forced to compile lirc lirc-0.7.0_pre2 rather than 0.6.6-r1 as the latter fails to compile and yet I cannot spot any problems. I'm using the 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 gentoo sources and once lirc is compiled I try to modprobe lirc_gpio and I get:

Quote:
modprobe lirc_gpio
modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_gpio

Any help appreciated, I'm still figuring my way around kernel modules/aliases etc so assume some stupidity on the part of the user :)

If all else fails I may try installing lirc from source rather than ebuild.

[UPDATE] - solved my own problem - two issues, firstly hadn't compiled in IrDA support *doh*, secondly - I had compiled in serial support but not as a module (caused conflicts with my hauppauge card).

Lirc now installed and apparently working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: