Hard Drive Setup Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Setup Question Reply with quote

Ok guys, here is my question...i am still fairly new with gentoo, but i have sucessfully created a movie server for myself. I have one 250 gig hdd, with 3 partitions hda1 (boot) hda2 (swap) and hda3 (root).........to store the movies i made a user called "movies" and im just putting all the movies in /home/movies/ then i put samba on, and through my windows machine i "mapped a network drive" to that directory. everything works awesome. but i kinda ran into a problem....what happens when my hard drive fills up?...if i throw another hard drive in there, do i just make one partition on it? like a root partition being hdb1?....and then....how do i get to it to put more movies on it?....i know it wont be like raid, so i cant just keep puttin movies in the /home/movies directory and have them go on the second hard drive...so how would i go about doing this?...im sorry if it sounds very complicated...thanks in advance
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you want to use the whole of the new drive for movies, you would just partition it as one primary partition, format it with whatever file system you chose (e.g. ext3 or reiserfs etc.).

Then you could add a directory to your /home/movies directory (for example /home/movies/moremovies) and mount your new drive there e.g
Code:

mount /dev/hdb1 /home/movies/moremovies

To make this happen every time you boot up, just add the new mountpoint into /etc/fstab

e.g
Code:

/dev/hda3        /                reiserfs defaults         1   1
/dev/hda1        /boot            ext2                        1   1
/dev/hdb1        /home/movies/moremovies    ext3  1   2 

That would be the simple approach, more complex ones would include moving partitions around and using volume management, but that seems like overkill for this setup.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a tedious system, but heh.

Just make your /mnt/movies directory. Your computer should recognize whatever hard disk you put in as /dev/hdb1 and linux will mount it as long as it's formatted with mount command.
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sweet..thanks alot..that basically takes care of what i need u guys rock
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just make your /mnt/movies directory. Your computer should recognize whatever hard disk you put in as /dev/hdb1 and linux will mount it as long as it's formatted with mount command.

Could you plz expand on this a lil?...im kinda confused by when you say make my /mnt/movies directory?...do you mean just mount the second hard drive to /home/movies? sorry for the confusion, but i wanna make this work nice
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he means mount it to /mnt/movies.

You really don't have to create another user for the movies. Just mount it at /mnt/movies and let all the users access it.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever think that you might need more space for a partition, you should check into LVM (Logical Volume Manager). The Gentoo guide on LVM is really good. I've been able to increase the size of my /home and /usr filesystems, while they were mounted, with absolutely no hiccups. There's also the capability of shrinking filesystems with the same ease, though I've never done that before.

And none of this requires RAID or anything. I've only got one harddrive that I use, and LVM has been a godsend.
viper2pt0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool, this gave me a good idea of what to do...i just have one more question....im pretty sure the answer is no, but i figured hey, ya never know..... basically is there anyway without a hardware raid, to have 2 hard drives share a directory?....kinda like a software raid? i dont think there is, but then maybe in the magical world of linux there is...i dunno..but thanks anway
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper2pt0 wrote:
basically is there anyway without a hardware raid, to have 2 hard drives share a directory?....kinda like a software raid? i dont think there is, but then maybe in the magical world of linux there is...i dunno..but thanks anway

Actually there is. With LVM, you just add both drives to the same volume group, and you're golden. Read this:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: