View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: ctrl-shift-a doesn't work in mozilla firefox Reply with quote

I'm using Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock extension. Ctrl-shift-a is supposed to bring up a list of all blockable elements. I see a capital A in the status bar, and when I let go of the keys, it shows "Text found: [strange box symbol here]". I think Firefox believes I'm trying to enter a non-English character.

Does anyone know how to get this to work?
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unfamiliar with the adblock extension, but it sounds like your window manager or server is intercepting the keystring and inserting a special character for your keymap. The result is that Firefox sees a special character and assumes you are using the typeahead find feature.
gren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what's happening. If I turn off the find feature, I don't get the message. Of course ctrl-shift-a still doesn't work, and then I can't use type-ahead searching either.

It used to work correctly, but I reinstalled Gentoo, and now it doesn't work anymore. There must be some setting that'll fix this.
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you what to change, since the ctrl+shift+a shows the same behavior on my Fedora machine at work. When I get home, I can try it again with my Gentoo install.
gren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an entry in Mozilla's Bugzilla that I think explains this. ISO 14755 reserves ctrl-shift-[a-f] for entering Unicode. Gtk2 intercepts these and substitutes the Unicode character.

If I built Firefox with gtk2 this time and gtk1 last time, that would explain the difference in behaviour. If I have time, I'll rebuild Firefox with gtk1 to test my theory.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=186789
http://www-rocq.inria.fr/qui/Philippe.Deschamp/divers/ALB-CD.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: