Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakai wrote:

Actually, Transgaming did basically take Wine, which hundreds of people have contributed to for free over the years, and modify it and now they make money off of it. Now Transgaming won't release a free version, nor will they merge the code.

Transgaming sucks :(

They can't merge the code merely because of the different routes each program took. Wine and WineX have been incompatible with one another for some time, and not to mention, WineX has contributed code back to Wine but it has been rejected by WineHQ (they even contributed some major items at wine-dev which were rejected there as well.)

They do make money off of it - yes, but it's also used to pay for purchased code, however where the rest of the money goes, I don't know, but I'll ask Pete when i see him next.

Furthermore, as mentioned in the past 2 replies, CVS is free and doesn't contain copyrighted code which would be illegal to distribute.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It really pisses me off when people rag on transgaming. I pay $5 a month and I feel every cent of it is for a good purpose. Transgaming reserves the rights given to them through the GPL, and that includes the right to sell their their product. And please don't complain about it not being free, because the CVS version is free.

wine was not under a gpl license when transgaming took the code (right after that the wine project did change to a license that prevenst non-free code use
so, winex is no gpl, the cvs is not a good reflection of the code they use with the binaries (copyprotection is not the only thing different about that release)

You can pay money to transgaming if you like, but why would you do it as 99% of the games run just as good or better with wine anyway
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can pay money to transgaming if you like, but why would you do it as 99% of the games run just as good or better with wine anyway
Often winex just has to run one game for a person (that wine doesn't) and they'll be happy paying for it if it's their favorite game, especially if it's that one thing keeping them in windows or dual booting.
Gaenya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
Often winex just has to run one game for a person (that wine doesn't) and they'll be happy paying for it if it's their favorite game, especially if it's that one thing keeping them in windows or dual booting.

Thats totaly true, try to run Fifa2004 on wine or NFSU....
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Often winex just has to run one game for a person (that wine doesn't) and they'll be happy paying for it if it's their favorite game

Thats true, but this amount of games is very small, so calling winex better for games than wine only because it runs a handfull of direct3d8 games is hardly fair, most people dont even know that winex has so little added value and transgaming sure isnt unhappy with that situation (which is enforced when people keep mentioning that winex is for games and wine not)
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Civ 2 Reply with quote

I agree that many games do work fine with wine, Half life, starcraft. But even many directx7 games haven't worked in normal wine for me, I just tried running System Shock2, it didn't work to well even with a no-cd crack (WineX runs it faster). I also tried installing Civ2 (win95 edition), it crashed at the main menu, whereas WineX gets me through the entire world war II scen without a crash.
yutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Thats true, but this amount of games is very small, so calling winex better for games than wine only because it runs a handfull of direct3d8 games is hardly fair, most people dont even know that winex has so little added value and transgaming sure isnt unhappy with that situation (which is enforced when people keep mentioning that winex is for games and wine not)

You obviously have little experience with WineX. You're just whining because a company is making money, and making yourself appear very ignorant to those who have used both Wine and WineX.

There are countless games that run better on WineX than Wine. Oh, god no, those capitalist pig at Transgaming aren't really doing anything at all!!! They are just brainwashing we, the foolish sheep, and making us think that games run far better than vanilla Wine. If only we were as Enlightened as you Sir.

If you get a job in the fast food industry, $5 a month won't seem like that much. I'm sure you'll be far less bitter.
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason winex is charging people for its code is for its copy-protection work arounds. it cant release that for free so its not open sourced. they have a CVS that is open source and it just lacks the cd protection.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You obviously have little experience with WineX. You're just whining because a company is making money, and making yourself appear very ignorant to those who have used both Wine and WineX.

Do you really feel that it add weight to your former "arguments" by bashing me?
I play games on linux since 3dfx started supporting it, I used both wine and winex (from the first version, you probably doenst know that transgaming is already around for some time and havent made much progress since then --> probably because of their focus on the mac platform) to play my games and I never had any good experiences running my direct3d games on wine (and somewhat worse experience than wine running opengl games), maybe its because their cvs lacks a lot, but when browsing their forum-like setup it seems that the binary version isnt that much better (besides copyprotection)
Quote:

There are countless games that run better on WineX than Wine. Oh, god no, those capitalist pig at Transgaming aren't really doing anything at all!!! They are just brainwashing we, the foolish sheep, and making us think that games run far better than vanilla Wine. If only we were as Enlightened as you Sir.

I dont mind companies taking code with a license that permits suchs and using it to created a product with added value, but not if that added value is as meager as with transgaming: just add copyprotection support, some flaky d3d support and attract customers with claims about games that, for 95%, run betetr with the original project you took the code from

Over the years I've tried to run a lot of games with winex (when wine failed) and really only a few worked and a small part of the working games actually ran fine

But hey, as I said before, its you decision to spend your money with transgaming to run your favorite direct3d game and believing their PR
Gaenya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Quote:

Do you really feel that it add weight to your former "arguments" by bashing me?
I play games on linux since 3dfx started supporting it, I used both wine and winex (from the first version, you probably doenst know that transgaming is already around for some time and havent made much progress since then --> probably because of their focus on the mac platform) to play my games and I never had any good experiences running my direct3d games on wine (and somewhat worse experience than wine running opengl games), maybe its because their cvs lacks a lot, but when browsing their forum-like setup it seems that the binary version isnt that much better (besides copyprotection)
Quote:

I dont mind companies taking code with a license that permits suchs and using it to created a product with added value, but not if that added value is as meager as with transgaming: just add copyprotection support, some flaky d3d support and attract customers with claims about games that, for 95%, run betetr with the original project you took the code from

Over the years I've tried to run a lot of games with winex (when wine failed) and really only a few worked and a small part of the working games actually ran fine

But hey, as I said before, its you decision to spend your money with transgaming to run your favorite direct3d game and believing their PR

Do you really think that people pays for winex because of their PR?, people pays for it because it works for them, ie i pay for winex because it allows me to play some games that doesnt work with wine, i dont care if they say that theyre god and theyre going to make me rich, so as you said its my decition, if it doesnt works for you dont pay.
yutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, it is completely arrogant for you to act as if those of us that subscribe to Transgaming have never heard of Wine.

Do you think I would pay $5.00 a month if it was no better than Wine? Granted, I have made bad purchases in the past, but I generally don't subscribe to them, or choose to continue subscribing.

If you have had bad experiences with it, fine, say so. But don't imply all subscribers are idiots and only run WineX because of their multi-million dollar ad campaign and all the hot ladies in their television commercials.

:roll:
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, people don't bitch about Mysql being commercial (well not many, anyway)... but they would bitch if Mysql didn't provide an easy to use installer, and banned people from distributing easy to use installers.

Transgaming have that lovely clause in their license which lets them deny certain uses of their source code, which doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the GPL at all, even if it's perfectly legal.
Gaenya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trejkaz wrote:
Well, people don't bitch about Mysql being commercial (well not many, anyway)... but they would bitch if Mysql didn't provide an easy to use installer, and banned people from distributing easy to use installers.

Transgaming have that lovely clause in their license which lets them deny certain uses of their source code, which doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the GPL at all, even if it's perfectly legal.

I didnt read the license, so tell me what clause?
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didnt read the license, so tell me what clause?

I can't remember. It's probably mentioned somewhere in the forum flurry which occurred when Transgaming forced Gentoo to remove the ebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: