View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: software-raid or hardware-raid problem? Reply with quote

Hi!
I have a hpt370-raid-controller card(and 2 identical Maxtor 120gb). I have been trying to get it to work with Gentoo but with no success,and i heard that i should try disable the "array" in the raid-cards-bios and try to go via software-raid instead. I have now disabled everything that has to do with raid in the "menuconfig" and recompiling it.

The problem, when booting from the system i get
Code:
failed to load ataraid modules.......[*]
and the disks won't show up in /dev/discs/. And since i have disabled the ataraid-part in the menuconfig i don't have anything in the /dev/ataraid either. I have tried emerging mdadm and tried with that also. But i unmerged it when i noticed it didn't help since i even couldn't detect the drives properly!

When booting from the Gentoo LiveCD with "gentoo noraid" it all works fine. All the discs are in /dev/discs/. It all works flawlessly when trying to mount disc1 in /mnt/disc1 and disc2 in /mnt/disc2. I have tried chrooted also and trying from there. No luck there either. What i'm trying to say is that i can't understand why my discs doesn't even show up under /dev/discs? I'm not having them raided or anything. I have edited the /etc/fstab according how i want to have the discs.

Someone can help me out? I'm quite a noob with Gentoo but so far i'm very satisfied with it,except of this thing of course. If there is any information that i haven't posted here and you'll need that might help you guys tell me what could be wrong,just ask me. I have been trying to get the drives to work for weeks now,so all tips/help is very welcome! I'll try answering as soon as i can. :roll:
Crimson Rider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try booting with noataraid and then doing a modprobe hptraid at the prompt. That worked for me with the same controller.

Good Luck

This post was answered in accordance with "the adopt an unanswered post initiative today"
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for at least answering, doesn't understand why more ppl are asnwering though, i can't be the first to have this problem, or can i!?:) i will try your method as soon as i get home.
Crimson Rider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob.

There are numerous problems with so called ata raid controllers, they are a b*tch to get working.
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i've noticed. I acctually have plans on selling this RAID-controller and by a simple ATA-controller, with no RAID-function and then use software-raid. You think that would work better?
Crimson Rider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would work.

Then again, the HPT series actually IS software raid.
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when running modprobe hptraid i get
Code:
/lib/modules/2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/hptraid.o: init_module: No such device

howcome it can't find it? i can see the discs when booting on LiveCD but still not when chrooting to the system.

i have tried it with all raid options enabled as to be installed in to the kernel and also with no support for raid in the kernel, neither does work. I' haven't created an array in the raid-controllers-bios, since i want to run it as software-raid in gentoo.

all tips are welcome:)
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setup up a similar system not that long ago. I had to:

disable the hpt interfaces in bios
move the hard drives to the regular IDE interfaces
start my gentoo install

It appeared to me that there were issues with whatever driver the htp interfaces required.

kashani
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a rocket raid 133 card, hpt374. I had problems with all different kernels and this card. I ended up using the xfs sources. They work a charm, and are the most reponsive kernel I have used (other than when I dabbled with the dev kernels, but they do not support ataraid atm). Once using these kernels, just follow the ataraid howto - https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7460&highlight=hardware+raid

and also read my posts when I was trying to work it all out -
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=92337&highlight=

If you have specific problems, let me know, and I will see if I can help. Going the software raid route better, but for me, I needed my windows system on raid0 as well, so I used the raid features of the card. Performance is still very good.
regards Greg
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get this when typing insmod hptraid

Code:
/lib/modules/2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/ide/raid/hptraid.o: init_module: No such device

so the only thing now is to acctually reinstall with xfs-sources!?.. :roll:
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this all depends. Do you want to install your operating system on this raid array? IMHO, you should. It is better for performance.

But to be honest with you, it might be all a little too much trouble depending what you are doing. Do you have windows on this computer? Do you intend putting windows on? Do you want windows on the raid array? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you should set up raid on the controller card you have. This is because you will not get windows onto the raid array of anysort, unless you do. Windows virtual disks will not let you put the operating system on the array (it's own version of software raid)
If you do not intend on putting windows on, then I reccomend on pissing this controller off, and using linux software raid (really your controller is only software raid anyway). Linux's software raid is very good, and easy to setup. You can follow this guide for software raid in linux if you want to go this path:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=68706&highlight=software+raid+howto

Each will give about equal performance, but the software raid0 (for linux only) would be easier for you. Using the HPT controller could be a bit of fiddling, if you havn't done it before. I found with my controller, no other kernel than the xfs sources would work. This is not the case for everyone.

Looking at your posts, I would also think that maybe you have not compiled your current kernel properly. This is why it is probably not recognising it as well.

Unless you give me more info, like where are you at with your install, what kernel are you using, have you compiled in support of your controller...and so on... I can't really tell you much other than making assumptions.

regards Greg
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have gentoo on 1 seperate system disk(30)gb connected directly to the mb on primary master, and then 2 120gb(for storage of media-files only) on the controller card(on seperate cables). i have now tried with xfs-sources,and setting the options that i should have according to this guide

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7460&highlight=hardware+raid

and i get a same error as before( No such device) when running modprobe hptraid

i'm now gonna disable all the raid-options in the kernel and compile once again and see if it can detect them as just hde and hdg(and try the software-raid method)...the funny thing is that it works perfect when booting from LiveCD, but not in my system!?!? :(

i have tried compiling the kernel with hpt370-support as modules and built-in...im using 2.4.20
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've now compiled it without any raid-support, i get:

Code:

*Loading module ataraid..................[!!]
*Failed to load ataraid modules..............[*]
*Autoloaded 0 module(s)...
*Starting up RAID devices: ..

strange since i have disabled all the raid-support in the kernel...
8O
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you set up the drives on your controller? Sorry to ask, but I am not entirely sure if you have had this raid card working at all. Have you set up an array in the cards bios, what bios are you using, so on so forth. Check Highpoints website, and check that the bios is one that they recomend using with their linux drivers, even if you do not intend using their drivers. I had problems with a bios I had upgraded to, which was really for windows and the windows drivers.

regards Greg

If you are now only trying to use linux software raid, I think it would be easier for you to bugger off the 30 gig drive, and put both your 120's on the m/board controller, and if you still want to use the 30, put it on the hpt controller for later set up and use. This way, you will be able to re-install your gentoo on the software raid from scratch.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

I've been trying to setup gentoo on a raid 0 system. Sofar it's been really difficult. I got hpt370/372 controller on abit mobo. There were allkinds of errors when booting from the newest livecd(checksum ok). Today I connected the 45G deathstar back into the mobo(no raid) and got at least through the boot phase. Also I used the doataraid and I see that the hpt controller is recognized during the init. Previously I tried to setup pure raid 0 system. No luck with that sofar.

Now I went thru the network setup. It works ok. Fdisk -l gives me:

Disk /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc: 120.0GB
/dev/ataraid/disc0part1 etc
Warning: ignoring extra data in partition table 5

It lists the disks separately too and the deathstar disk partitions.

Is there anything I should be aware of when setting up the partitions on the 120GB disk with fdisk? Should I use some other program to partition? There's Windows XP on the raid 0 system right now, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

I assume that the 120GB disk is now correctly detected by fdisk despite the warnings and all.
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....i have used the controller-card under win2kserver and it worked excellent, so i don't think that there's something wrong with the card, i wanna keep the system on the 30gb disk, cause' i have plans on getting 2 more drives that i also want to connect to the controller-card...anyway
this is what get when trying to man. install the drivers for it..

Code:
make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs-r5
gcc -DHIGHPOINT -DDRIVER_VERSION=\"1.31\" -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__=1 -DCONFIG_PCI -D__BOOT_KERNEL_SMP=0 -D__BOOT_KERNEL_UP=1 -D__MODULE_KERNEL_i686=1  -DDPLL_SWITCH -DFORCE_133 -DDRIVER_REBUILD  -DSUPPORT_ARRAY -DSUPPORT_IOCTL -DSUPPORT_ALARM -O2 -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs-r5/include -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs-r5/include/asm-i386 -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs-r5/drivers/scsi -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer  -c hpt.c
hpt.c: In function `hpt_copy_array_info':
hpt.c:2948: warning: int format, long unsigned int arg (arg 3)
as -o baseproc.o baseproc.s
ld -m elf_i386 -r hpt37x2lib.o hpt.o baseproc.o -o hpt37x2.o

i have mailed the hpt-support about it, haven't recieved any answer yet though.. :roll:
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sos. Crap... the live cd seems to boot correctly only about once a day. Also it messes the hd symlinks somehow that's why I dont have hda hdb etc...

This is so silly it would make me laugh if it were'nt my computer.

I'm ready to declare the hpt raid controller useless. Although it works with M$ windows! Gentoo support for raid systems is really poor too. :evil:

I'll go try the old 1.4 livecd but I tried that yesterday and I did'nt get any further.

EDIT:
Well I searched for the error message that I was getting at the bootup. Found numerous posts. Someone said that use ide=nodma as a boot option. Now I can boot but the hd partitions symlinks are broken. though I can continue installing now. Have to see what's up with the raid because cant see the disks right now with fdisk.
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you won't see hda, hdb anyway. You will in a sense, but they are not you're raid. Your array (if it has been created in the controller bios) will be under /dev/ataraid/disc/disc0.
With regard to gentoo's support for raid, well it is as good as other linux systems, very good. The problem with these controller cards, is that they do not support linux very well. But that said, linux software raid is spot on.
I had problems with all bios versions for the htp 374 controller other than the 1.21 version. This one works a charm. There are bios versions on their site, which are only for windows drivers, and if you are using these, I am not sure, but you might have a problem.(I think the same bios applies to the 370/72 as well, but be sure to check this out on their website).

But judging from your post, you have not even bothered to read about how to install your system with the highpoint raid controller, otherwise you would not be trying to find a hda device!
Greg
dotcomaset
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have tried to install the driver which i got from highpoints website, didn't work..got error-msg when i did...i have tried having the disk RAIDed and non-RAIDed..they won't show up in any case...maybe i should try chng BIOS on the controller then...i'm gonna see if there is a newer one that i can try out with

...and the support guy that i mailed and talk to at highpoint-support told me that they have had very much trouble with getting the controller to work properly with linux,so it's nothing special...he also told me to chang a line in the hpt.c, that still didn't help.let's see what more tips he has...
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like I said, don't bother with their drivers, and make sure you use a compatible bios, one that works with both windows and linux (if you use both). The latest bios caused me greif. Try the one I listed above, and just use the kernel drivers, compiled into the kernel.

If you want, send me your email address, and I will send you my kernel config file. It may be something missing in your config. I am using the lates xfs sources.

regards Greg
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg you're absolutely right. I can now see the raid array. As you said it is the /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc.

You know there's been so much confusing elements hampering my install. For example I got spare 45G disk which is not showing up right now was showing up before but then the raid array wasnt. That's why I had hda and hdb. Also to choose between hardare or software raid... well I see the hw raid array now. I got the bootup working, but I had to use ide=nodma at bootup. I would like to have all disks working both the raid array and the lone deathstar.

I followed the BernieKe hw raid guide. I got quite far with it. I've messed something up. Prolly the umounting. I wasn't able to umount /mnt/gentoo. Now the boot hangs in kernel panic after lilo.

Should I skip 2.6 kernel? I've tried to use it when doing this install. Also I believe I got all necessary modules compiled in the kernel.

@Greg: Could you post your lilo conf? I believe there might be something there too. I wish I could use grub instead. Lilo looks, well, a bit dull.

Now I'm going to take a break of this. Btw, I'm not going to give up yet. :wink:
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6 kernel does not support ataraid with these controllers yet. You must use a 2.4 kernel. Sorry, no way around this. This is why you are getting a kernel panic I suppose.

Go back to a 2.4, and see how you go, if you need more help, I will see if I can assist.

I use lilo, works perfectly, and as far as dull, who really cares, it is just a boot loader, see it for a few seconds and thats it.

Grub I can not help you with, never used it, but others have had no probs.
here is my lilo conf:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/lilo/files/lilo.conf,v 1.4 2003/07/17 21:10:26 azarah Exp $
# Author: Ultanium

lba32
boot = /dev/hda
map = /boot/.map
append="silent"
install = /boot/boot-menu.b

menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
timeout=150
delay = 50
vga = normal

#image = /boot/loop
# vga=0x31A
# root = /dev/ataraid/d0p3
# label = Gentooloop
# read-only
# append="video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr,splash=silent hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
# initrd=/boot/initrd-1280x1024

image = /boot/xfscam
vga=0x31A
root = /dev/ataraid/d0p3
label = GentooCam
read-only
append="video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr,splash=silent hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
initrd=/boot/initrd-1280x1024

other = /dev/hda2
label = Windows
table = /dev/hda

regards Greg
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping, Greg. I'm going to try with 2.4 kernel but a bit later. Got exams later this week.

But on topic. So you got raid 0 or did you have raid 1 system? You got /dev/hda as boot parameter. I assume that is the 1st disk in the array. I got weird errors from lilo when I used /dev/hde as boot param. It shows as 1st disk of array when I look at dmesg. I got rid of few errors when I used /dev/ataraid/d0 instead.

Also lilo says I should set individual discs of the array inaccessible. And I got weird /dev/proc... error. Would you happen to know anything about those? Well I did search for them and theres few solutions. Have to look closer on them too.

What do hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi parameters do? I guess they can be found on lilo docs somewhere.
greg32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry, I should have explained my set up,
I use a single ata drive, not in the array, as my boot. I don't have /boot on the array. All other system partitions are on the array.

hdb=ide-scsi.... is just scsi emulation for my cdroms. This is for burning, and has nothing to do with raid setup. Look up about cd burning in linux, and you will find out more about this.

I am using a raid0 setup.

Have you read this howto, written by BernieKe?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7460&highlight=hardware+raid

it might help you a bit.
Mainly look at the notation being used for creating your filesystems on individual partitions and also in fstab, and the notation used for lilo.
Obvisouly for fdisk, you partition "/dev/ataraid/disc0/disc.
For creating filesystems and in fstab, use "/dev/ataraid/disc0/partX", where X is the partition you want to create the filesystem on, and the reference to that partition in fstab.
And, for lilo, you have to create symlinks to /dev/ataraid/disc0/partX in the directory /dev/ataraid.
i.e. ln -s /dev/ataraid/disc0/partX /dev/ataraid/d0pX, where X is the part #.

Also, note the last post in the above link, in regard to your previous post about grub or lilo.

regards Greg
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Greg. I did'nt see anything about making symlinks in other posts though I did figure out the different notation.

heres info about my raid0 array:
Code:
fdisk -l

fidsk /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc: 120.0 GB, 120080957440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14599 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Filesystem                  Type      Size   Mounted on
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1   reiserfs     25G   /      
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2   reiserfs     25G   /home   
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3   reiserfs   25G   /usr
(/dev/ataraid/disc0/part4   extended)
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part5   reiserfs   10G   /opt
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part6   reiserfs   15G   /var
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part7   swap      1G   <not mounted>
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part8   ext2      57M   /boot
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part9   reiserfs   18G   /misc

Not exactly the fdisk output you get but I did put some extra info there. I tried cfdisk too. It seems to be more informative than fdisk.

and here's fstab:
Code:
/etc/fstab:

/dev/ataraid/disc0/part1        /          reiserfs        noatime                 0 1
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part2        /home      reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part3        /usr      reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part5        /opt      reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part6        /var      reiserfs        noatime                 0 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part7        none            swap            sw                 0 0
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part8        /boot      ext2            noauto,noatime          1 2
/dev/ataraid/disc0/part9        /misc      reiserfs        noatime                 0 2

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0         /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro,user          0 0
none                       /proc           proc            defaults                0 0
none                       /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

Well there sure are many partitions, dunno if I need so many. I've been thinking to play with apache and mysql, and wahtever later on and when I got the space then why not make some partitions. I left the deskstar unpartitioned/unused for now.

I'll prolly try vanilla sources unless there's better sources. 1st things 1st. The priority is to get the system working and tweak later. Is the 2.4.25 vanilla source ok? Could you post if there's anything funny or wrong in my fstab or partitioning?

BTW, I read elsewhere that I dont have to reboot after fdisk partitioning but the mkreiserfs warns me to make reboot after fdisk. Also it says something about debug mode? It also mentions it's slow...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: