View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: portage-problem (solved) Reply with quote

Doing a stage 2 install and comes to emerge system works fine until it´s time to upgrade portage. The new portage wants python-2.3.3, and python wants atleast portage-2.0.49-r16 and thats newer than I have :cry: so how do I solve this. And yes I´m pretty new at this. Thanks for any answers

Last edited by KiN on Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing a livecd install? What tarball did you use?
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a livecd for athlon xp. tarbal latest for athlon XP
Naaiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, but also a few others when I ignore the "new portage" thing. It won't compile anything because of a fatal flaw in groff (which is a system package). So I can't even get by with an outdated system temporarily. It simply won't compile anything.
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

know what you mean can´t compile anything now :(

Last edited by KiN on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that it's the 2004 stage distribution we got that's doing this, despite being released as 'stable'. I'm trying it with the 1.4 version, and I'll let you know if that's better in about half an hour.
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. tried again to emerge gcc, "could not run/locate gcc"
ChileVerde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here, 1.4 athlon XP, stage 2... wouldnt merge python, updated portege, didnt work...

any clues? Im in a real hurry for a new linux installation, so I wouldnt be able to use Gentoo (even tho I like it a lot) for the new servers if this is not fixed ASAP.

tia
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no clues and a bit hard not be able to compile either. I´m installing on my workstation so can´t do anything than wait for a solution
Naaiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reformatted and everything and it is now running

emerge -uD portage

At the moment it seems to be running successfully.
I'll give you an update once if finishes or in 12 minutes (I have to leave then)
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems on the athlon xp tarball even though I have recently done a few installs and I'm reinstalling atm (keeping fingers crossed for no problems, though this is a stage 1 install, did stage two like two days ago). So it's not a general problem but something specific with your systems.
ChileVerde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't had any problems on the athlon xp tarball even though I have recently done a few installs and I'm reinstalling atm (keeping fingers crossed for no problems, though this is a stage 1 install, did stage two like two days ago). So it's not a general problem but something specific with your systems.

1.- Stage1 != Stage2
2.- 2 days ago its a lot of days (specially with 2004 comming)
3.- I have done installs before (in THIS machine, exactly the same stage and CD)
4.- I tried to install in another athlon-xp today, same error

So, I can hardly understand why you are so sure about this "being a problem specific with our system", specially given the fact that a lot of people is getting this same error.
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChileVerde wrote:
1.- Stage1 != Stage2
2.- 2 days ago its a lot of days (specially with 2004 comming)
3.- I have done installs before (in THIS machine, exactly the same stage and CD)
4.- I tried to install in another athlon-xp today, same error

So, I can hardly understand why you are so sure about this "being a problem specific with our system", specially given the fact that a lot of people is getting this same error.

You can never be 100% sure. I just succesfully installed xfree the day before it went kaboom on my other install. I forgot to add a probably which I almost always add since nothing is sure when dealing with stuff like this. In this thread I saw three people with the same error but if there's even more it's more likely I widespread problem (now I'm thankful that I for some reason decided to go for stage 1, I usually always go for stage 2). So I'll take back what I said (should have thinked about this more thoroughly) and go for "is there a bug report on this" instead. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was somehow undermining your problem.
Crimson13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i also encountered this problem, using the athlon-xp stage 2 tarballs, what's i'm doing to get around it is exactly what the error suggested, i'm updating portage.

Some things i did notice, even though i grabbed the 1.4 stage2 tarball it's still doing the emerge system from the 2004 release files, i believe that's where the problem is originating from.
i'll let you know how it goes.
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:

" and go for "is there a bug report on this" instead."

working on the bugreport
Crimson13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrading portage doesn't appear to have helped, now it just chokes on glibc... i'll just look for the bug report tomorrow, my day is over
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugreport nr. 43036. Myself I´m trying some other things but don´t think it will do it.
Naaiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, even though I wanted a Gentoo, I can't install one. The emerge thing just doesn't work period. I'm going to install a mandrake box, and then when I go to try it again in a month or so hopefully they will have resolved the problems enough that I can actually install the box with some effort.
blackstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got the "Cannot locate gcc". I eventually fixed that (edit /etc/env.d/05gcc and correct the paths). Now I'm also stuck at the "portage wants python, and python wants portage" deadlock.
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

------- Additional Comment #1 From Jason Stubbs 2004-02-26 20:12 PST -------

Fixed in CVS.

The check was put back in place to prevent people from updating python without upgrading portage. Until we can have the check and a smooth installation, users doing the right thing will take precedence.
GrojGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: emerge portage / emerge python "deadlock" Reply with quote

I am having the same problem.

I followed the Install Guide exactly through a non-GRP stage2 install. I got the initial python/portage error after doing the "emerge system".

I did "emerge -u portage" and it compiled for several hours (P3-400), then crapped out with a "can't find 'gcc' error".

This is my first install of Gentoo. I was previously a RedHat user. Gentoo looks good, but problems like this on a first install while following the Install Guide EXACTLY do not bode well.

I am persistent and may stick with it until a solution is found. But others may not be so patient.
Quietus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem... could not emerge portage because python-2.3.3 wouldn't emerge. I got around it by using:

Code:
   # emerge python-2.2.3-r5
   # emerge portage
   # emerge python-2.3.3

Amazingly this worked.
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quietus wrote:
I had the same problem... could not emerge portage because python-2.3.3 wouldn't emerge. I got around it by using:

Code:
   # emerge python-2.2.3-r5
   # emerge portage
   # emerge python-2.3.3

Amazingly this worked.

I just tried that and get "emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy "python-2.2.3-r5"." :-(

edit:
updated cvs and run emerge "portage" get "checking for C++ compiler default output... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create exutables"
KiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who can help with a solution on the compile-problem?
hawmps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Also having the same issues Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=142152&highlight=python+portage is what I keep getting trying to finish my install. I'm using the stage2-pentium4-20030910.tar.bz2 tarball.

I've been grappling with this install now for 7+ hours and have a legal sheet full of "stuff" i've done to get as far as I am. I've already tackled the jdk issue, the gcc issue, the glibc issue and really, considering I'm not an idiot and have followed the docs to the tee this is rather frustrating. All I want to do now is just get this done. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail.
:cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: