View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack. I knew as soon as I went to sleep last night that I should have given this thread a different title. However, it was reading ESR's article, thinking back to my experience getting started with Gentoo just over a year ago, and the many posts I've read in these forums on how well documented Gentoo is that first made me think about what ESR's opinion might be.

My old beef with the Gentoo documentation was with USE flags. As much as I read opinions on the excellence of the USE flag documentation I could not for the life of me figure them out with the documentation at the time. For me, the issue was not what they did but the reasons why USE flags would be a good thing, and I don't think I'm that dumb (although my wife would probably disagree on occasion). The present form of the documentation is better, but given that the frequency of USE flag questions has not changed over the past year, I would guess that there are still issues with the documentation.

The take home message, I think, is to never assume that just because a program or documentation is understandable to you, then it is understandable to everyone.

Put it this way: if the documentation is so good, why are there so many HOWTOs?

Oh, and providing examples in the documentation would help a lot.
ozbird
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventure kernel configuration Reply with quote

Athas wrote:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/cml2/

Here's a sample session:
[snip]

Umm, what was ESR saying about bad UIs? :)
"You are in a twisty little maze of configuration options, all confusing..."

IIRC, the adventure interface was written while he had some spare time waiting at an airport; still, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.
(The same could be said for his more serious kernel configuration tool, CML2, based on the reception it received on the Linux Kernel Mailing List...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: